Boaters are nice people

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

I wish Dave and Pinky would carry out their bitching by email and not waste forum bandwidth with it. :stop:

Maybe they should go to ukrecwaterways and enliven the conversation there....or are they afraid of the Boating Baronet? :lol:

Talking of the Boating Baronet...I had an inkling he may now be here.

I enjoy exchanges of wit and repartee. Both protagonists have brains, which they have been exercising, and opinions, which they have been propounding. I know that threads about finding replacement bilge pumps are worthy, helpful and useful, but they are not as much fun to read as this one has been.

I enjoy exchanges of wit and repartee. Both protagonists have brains, which they have been exercising, and opinions, which they have been propounding. I know that threads about finding replacement bilge pumps are worthy, helpful and useful, but they are not as much fun to read as this one has been.

For a true spectacle I wish The Boating Baronet (Sir Adrian Stott) would appear here as himself...he it wasted on ukrecwaterways. He could always put one over Dave Mayall!

I have been a liveaboard for the past 10 years and in this time,

I have had people who on seeing i am single handed at a lock, not only have opened/shut lock gates, but also insisted on doing the locks for me!

Kids, leaning over bridges have nearly fell in after shouting "look at the wolves"

Complete strangers have gabbed my center line and helped pull the boat in, especially in bad weather.

When I was having a bad time a couple of years ago, someone put 2 bags of coal on my back deck! (no one owned up to this one)

Whilst away at work my boat has been re tied several times, when pulled adrift, usualy with much posher knots than I can master.

I can't count the number of times when I have been just 'looking' at my engine and from nowhere a voice will ask if I am ok and if I need any help.

I am obviously doing something wrong !!! :rolleyes:

For a true spectacle I wish The Boating Baronet (Sir Adrian Stott) would appear here as himself...he it wasted on ukrecwaterways. He could always put one over Dave Mayall!

The spectacle of pinko and snotty locking horns is one I would like to witness.

The one thing about Dave is that he does not usually resort to personal abuse when he is up against it in a debate or discussion.

I can't recall any time he has called any one 'loathsome' or 'a worm' or said 'I'd forgotten how stupid you are' or told another forum member to 'eff off' (sanitised) or called any body a 'liar' when they clearly are not.

Chris however.......

Edited by The Dog House

Having spent two weeks moored on the south Oxford waiting for the Thames to ease I had full cassettes and an empty water tank to had no choice but to head off in a mild blizzard in search of facilities. The closest we're at Perry's lift bridge near Wolvercote. The elsan point was working but as I expected the freshwater tap was frozen. Thankfully an angel in a pea green boat on the nearby canalside moorings offered to let me pull up alongside and use her standpipe which she had defrosted. I gratefully accepted and filled up and can now wash some clothes and have a much needed shower.

I did not get the young lady's name but would like to say thank you here in the hope that she is a forum member. I did thank her personally and gave her a bottle of wine for being so helpful.

I'm always willing to help others and it feels just as good to be on the receiving end. If you can do someone a good turn then do.

Meggers has recorded his thanks for a kind act and suggested we should all try to be helpful. No doubt most of us have helped other boaters but there is no harm in a reminder.

Why does this have to turn into a load of complaints about others and unwarranted aggression? Meggers gets a green thing from me.

The one thing about Dave is that he does not usually resort to personal abuse when he is up against it in a debate or discussion.

I can't recall any time he has called any one 'loathsome' or 'a worm' or said 'I'd forgotten how stupid you are' or told another forum member to 'eff off' (sanitised) or called any body a 'liar' when they clearly are not.

Chris however.......

I heartily agree

Greenie sir

Why does this have to turn into a load of complaints about others and unwarranted aggression?

Because all boaters are not actually nice people.....on here at least.

Some members hide behind a veil of anonymity on here but I would wager if some of the most combative members met each other whilst out on the cut and didn't know the others forum user name they would be just fine.

What does focus the mind is when you have been combative with someone on here and you subsequently meet them in person and you exchange forum user names.... :o

Some members hide behind a veil of anonymity on here but I would wager if some of the most combative members met each other whilst out on the cut and didn't know the others forum user name they would be just fine.

What does focus the mind is when you have been combative with someone on here and you subsequently meet them in person and you exchange forum user names.... :o

Mrs T and I met this lovely couple with a white and tan JRT at Hillmorton locks a couple of years ago, winter at the time if I remember correctly. We swapped forum names.

Seen them once since on the North Oxford on their way oop Norf. :cheers:

Edited by Ray T

Chris however.......

Dave Mayall is Adrian Stott!

Mrs T and I met this lovely couple with a white and tan JRT at Hillmorton locks a couple of years ago, winter at the time if I remember correctly. We swapped forum names.

Seen them once since on the North Oxford on their way oop Norf. :cheers:

You have a very good memory Ray, I'd forgotten both... :cheers:

and me declining your help at Hillmorton 'please we need to do know how to do this ourselves'

:cheers:

My name is Chris Pink or are you incapable of spelling it correctly?

Or perhaps you are deliberately trying to be offensive as is Mayalld's intention?

Please accept my apologies for getting your name wrong. I copied it from the earlier post, about which you had not complained, and I therefore assumed it was your nickname. In answer to your questions I am quite capable of spelling your name and no I was not trying to be offensive.

I have had a good experience with most boaters though some are a bit non-communicative, like many anglers are when boats are around. Since I moved from private to hire boating I have encountered a fair number of know-it-alls. The best solution is usually to make a polite and pleasant remark, but the tiresome ones can be helped to demonstrate their own ignorance very easily – and without being unpleasant.

Life is too short to be aggressive.

I have had a good experience with most boaters though some are a bit non-communicative, like many anglers are when boats are around. Since I moved from private to hire boating I have encountered a fair number of know-it-alls. The best solution is usually to make a polite and pleasant remark, but the tiresome ones can be helped to demonstrate their own ignorance very easily – and without being unpleasant.

Life is too short to be aggressive.

Me too - I was just answering the point you made here -

Why does this have to turn into a load of complaints about others and unwarranted aggression?

I've been checking out moorings on the Avon and in Worcester.

I have to say that one thing I've noticed since moving away from the south-east M25 area is how much easier everyday things are to do. Less traffic on the roads, easier parking and people seem so much more accommodating when you enquire about moorings.

When I was offered a job in Leighton Buzzard I asked about moorings at a marina in the area and was met by a curt and unfriendly "No" from a miserable git warden/boater, but since I've been up here I've checked out 5 different morring sites and only 1 has refused outright on the basis that he doesn't want residential boaters - but at least he was pleasant about it. All of the boaters around here that I've spoken to seem much more approachable than some of the unfriendly tossers you get on boats around London & the home counties.

Instead of seeing me as some sort of threat that they don't want to share their marina or moorings with, they've all said "See you in the spring" or "See you again" when I left. It makes a nice change.

Yea, and it gets better and better the morth North you move. Keep going.

;)

Ah, yes, a worthy opponent, somebody who likes to argue a point as much as yours truly, but didn't resort to personal insults all the time.

It would be nice if he decided to show his face here. I suspect that there are a few people he would enjoy a chat with.

I wish Dave and Pinky would carry out their bitching by email and not waste forum bandwidth with it. :stop:

Whilst I just wish that all the people who go round suggesting that other people stop bitching at each other and shut up would realise the irony of what they are saying.