Spares

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

Next years cruise is going to include rivers and estuaries and even a sea passage. I will service the engine and have spare fan belts, fuel filters and morse cables. Are there any other items I should have?

Barley sugar for sea sickness and a box of maroons. :closedeyes:

Don't need Barley sugar - never been sea sick even in fairly rough seas.

Maroons - mobile and VHF will be moar effective.

Lifeboat - perhaps I should carry a canoe.

Anchor, chain an warp - consider standard equipment .

Record of breakdowns - erm.

Albatross _ don't want one of those round my neck and perhaps a pidgeon would be of more use.

I don't know what engine or set up you have, but apart from the items you have already suggested, this are some of the more common stuff I've had to deal with :)

Mega fuse 250amp

Emergency diesel ration

Head lamp bulb

6mm or 1/4 olives

Core plug

Small shackles for fenders, or use heavy duty cable ties

Dirty fuel can sink your boat! look at your filter layout, is it worth fitting parallel filters with isolation taps if a filter gets blocked what can you do. Look at fuel polishing. I always used to vacuum out the bottom of the tank with a thin pipe, it worked for me.

• Greenie 1

I hope you dunt think we are not taking your kwestion seriously....

Seriously, given your susceptibility to breakdowns, I suggest a 25Kg anchor, 25m of 10mm chain and a long long warp securely attached to the boat...

That might allow you to swing at anchor into another country :rolleyes:

Seriously having just taken delivery of a 20Kg Danforth, I had forgotten how heavy they feel. A 25Kg with all that chain would be a pig to recover in thick mud. You can manage with a lot less.

FWIW I had a 22Kg Danforth as a kedge anchor on my last boat with just 6 metres of chain spliced to rope rode. I (stupidly) deployed it from the stern in a narrow tidal stream with the main anchor off the bow. When the current changed it became so taught you could play tunes on it. Even with just the small amount of chain to give some catenary it held firm in soft sand, eventually causing the rode to break (it was past its sell-by date).

I later dove down to recover it. Having tied an anchor buoy with limited amount of line to it. I swam back to the boat holding said line into a slowly increasing head current. The last six feet to the stern of the boat took forever as I ran short of slack :blush:

Dirty fuel can sink your boat! look at your filter layout, is it worth fitting parallel filters with isolation taps if a filter gets blocked what can you do. Look at fuel polishing. I always used to vacuum out the bottom of the tank with a thin pipe, it worked for me.

Good advice indeed!

I don't know what engine or set up you have, but apart from the items you have already suggested, this are some of the more common stuff I've had to deal with :)

Mega fuse 250amp Will have 4o amp fuses, the biggest used on my engine

Emergency diesel ration Fill up before Isetoff

Head lamp bulb Will get one, in fact spares for allthe nav lights

6mm or 1/4 olives Why?

Core plug Too serious, that sort of engine failure willrequire a lifeboat. (Must refresh the rules on salvage).

Small shackles for fenders, or use heavy duty cable ties If the fenders fall off they fall off, though I do have spare shackles.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the Thames cruisinfg website.

Spare hoses - yes worth having though gaffer tape is probably better in an emergency.

I don't need brown trousers, I'm not easily frightened.

Liferaft, I might consider an inflatable dingy though a canoe would be safer for me.

I don't need brown trousers, I'm not easily frightened.

I'll endorse that sentiment!

Having spent an evening with you playing pool in The Shroppie Fly and towards the end of the night a rather large interloper to the village started behaving like an idiot after over indulging himself with falling down water, I decided it was time to make an exit but you were completely unfazed by the potential hostilities that in fact did ensue once we'd left the place.

Cool as a cucumber if you ask me! :clapping:

Edited by Doorman

A really good means of knowing exactly where you are seems useful, rent a GPS chart plotter for the period.

I already have a plotter on the laptop though not yet connected to GPS. I have all the paper charts which I prefer using.

You can now buy a waterproof gaffer tape, its even meant to stick to wet surfaces! :cheers:

Always used to use Sylglas on wet jobs. Horrible sticky stuff impossible to get of your hands. Waterproof gaffer tape could be a big improvement.

Edited by Dr Bradley