That is a lot of water

Doug Scullery

Featured Posts

The Thames is running very fast at the moment - It's like the sea out there tonight with the wind coming upstream. I struggled to get home from work this evening in my dinghy with a 4hp outboard against the current.

How are the other liveaboards in this wind?

Edited by blackrose

R. Stort level rising and running quite fast. Yesterday there was a huge gust of wind here, about lunch time, it really slew and rocked the boat about i was working on. Must be gusting to gale force here at the mo.

Take care folks.

Bradford is flooding so I hear from a resident. If any one needs any help, shout and I'll see what I can do

Keep safe and don't try wading at night!

Cheers Craig, we're all holed up for the night now, it's dropped a wee bit during the day but I'm expecting it'll peak higher tonight than it did last night. A real baptism of fire for our new neighbors!

Trent at Newark is quite high and very fast. Boats in the marina weren't too badly affected by the winds this afternoon, 'cos it was blowing along the length rather than across. Currently toasty and snug in the boat, but not very enthusiastic about taking the dogs out to drain them in an hour or so. Anyone know where I can get dog attachments for the skin fitting? Bizzard?

The Thames is running very fast at the moment - It's like the sea out there tonight with the wind coming upstream. I struggled to get home from work this evening in my dinghy with a 4hp outboard against the current.

How are the other liveaboards in this wind?

Remoored 3 other boats that pulled their pins in the wind. Bit of a flow on the river but luckily it's not risen very much.

I gave up on the boat's rocking in this beam on wind and put out- gasp shock horror!- a centre line to stop it from rocking too much.

What year was it Bradford bridge was closed? As I remember for a week or so.

As you know Chris Bradford on Avon floods most years, this was 2008 :-

5514949226_392a6bac2b_z.jpg

but it was more than ten years ago when it was a foot deep over the middle of the bridge, my wife was one of the last people to get her car over it before it was closed

Edited by David Schweizer

As you know Chris Bradford on Avon floods most years, this was 2008 :-

5514949226_392a6bac2b_z.jpg

but it was more than ten years ago when it was a foot deep over the middle of the bridge, my wife was one of the last people to get her car over it before it was closed

I think the high water point was a tad short of 3 metres over standard river level in 2009 too.

We're adjacent to Foxhangers, in Caen Hill Marina and so far no power cut, we've just checked on reading the above post as our inverter takes over and we wouldn't know until the batteries go flat. The wind has been really bad all day and blew our Sat dish of its magnetic mount a couple of times, we eventually gave up and took it down. The wind seems to have dropped a bit now, so will try the Sat dish again. We're lucky compared to what others have gone through.

Ann

I had some ply boards outside the boat today, with coal bags on it to keep it from moving.

They ended up flying across the marina....

The widebeam never rocks, but today we were getting sea sick, and thats moored in the safety of a marina...it must be crazy out on the canals today...the levels AND the wind...

update: I just called my boss to give him a heads up to my possibly not being able to get in tomorrow. He had said (well, the assistant manager said, very apologetically, he didn't have the bottle to speak to me himself) that if I'm off tomorrow it will be treated as an "unauthorised absence which may lead to disciplinary action". He's determined to be a dick about it, I could really use some help with this. Can he really expect me to risk my life to avoid disciplinary action? If I drown trying to get to work can my family sue him?

update: I just called my boss to give him a heads up to my possibly not being able to get in tomorrow. He had said (well, the assistant manager said, very apologetically, he didn't have the bottle to speak to me himself) that if I'm off tomorrow it will be treated as an "unauthorised absence which may lead to disciplinary action". He's determined to be a dick about it, I could really use some help with this. Can he really expect me to risk my life to avoid disciplinary action? If I drown trying to get to work can my family sue him?

If they think you are taking the pee, ask them to do a home visit!!!

Doug, take some bloody piccy's, if it goes to disciplinary, tribunal or grievance they will be your evidence.

No shortage of pics. I have also taken a screen grab of the Environment Agency site where it advises against unnecessary travel (I should say at this point, I'm not a doctor or a firefighter or anything, I make paninis for tourists, nobody is going to die because I take a day or two off work). To be honest I think it's an empty threat, buy I need to cover my ass in case he does follow though. I shall attempt to find an email address for HR.