Nene on SSA

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

3 days! The more I hear of te Nene the less I like it. Beginning to doubt I will ever reach my mooring.

It's not that bad, but we moor less than a day from Salters but if the tide time is wrong like last time. To late due to the light first day, tide to early the second day so we had to go on the third and still arrived at Denver half an hour before the lock keeper started work and had to sit outside the lock and wait. Had we have set off a day earlier we would have waited 4days

Should I be concerned or is it just a change of scenery?

I have been there for 18 months. I like the Middle Level but its not that big. I want to get up above Bedford again before returning to the canals so we are moving the other side of Denver Sluice,

just incase anyone is wondering....

the nene is still shut, finally go onto boat at titchmarsh. lock is still reversed but the level is much lower than it has been for weeks.

Listing to the road traffic reports from radio Norfolk the flood water on the Weleny road is now only 2 feet deep, last week it was 4 ft.

• 3 weeks later...

The Bury Brook, where is crosses the Ramsey to Bury road, is across the golf course and almost up to road level. It's emerging from under the Great Whyte flowing fast and the level in the High Lode is up a foot or so. The Bill Fen flood gate is still closed, has been for weeks now.

MP.

....though not through Upwell where, despite lakes in adjacent fields, the river level is quite normal. Is it flooding through March, Mr. Sprite?

When I arrived back tonight the path under the by-pass bridge was flooded to just below the top hand rail, Stop planks had been re placed in the entrance to the marina and the pump was going full blast, The outside moorings were under water. So you could say it's flooded

Edited by nbfiresprite

When I arrived back tonight the path under the by-pass bridge was flooded to just below the top hand rail, Stop planks had been re placed in the entrance to the marina and the pump was going full blast, The outside moorings were under water. So you could say it's flooded

Went and visited Harnser today and the level looks to have dropped as fast as it went up. The wood was still wet on the pontoons. We then went to look at Salters and Denver. All info and photos on the boring blog

Intresting pics, shame the last session at Denver didn't last long. I know we have had a lot of rain in Autumn and winter so far, but I can't help but wonder if the sluices ate being controlled differently these days?

We have new controllers on the nene, there does not seem to be much confidence in their knowledge of how to tame the nene.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been out on the Nene yet , (Billing to Rothersthorpe section) , EA still says Strong Stream alert but it hasn't really rained much for a while . Cheers.

According to these graphs it's pretty much on normal levels.

(Ignore Islip, the gauge is out of calibration)

m@

not this week then.....

thanks all.

Colin at Billing is very helpful, and chats with the local EA chaps almost daily.. Local EA guys know their onions around there. Andy Hall and Roy Smith both v helpful. Gt numbers if needed.

Intresting pics, shame the last session at Denver didn't last long. I know we have had a lot of rain in Autumn and winter so far, but I can't help but wonder if the sluices ate being controlled differently these days?

We have new controllers on the nene, there does not seem to be much confidence in their knowledge of how to tame the nene.

We are still sitting on the bottom, a real pain. EA suggested it is only Isleham that has issues but then volunteered the information that they have been inundated with phone calls since Xmas. Happy Go Lucky posted the same problem on the Little Ouse and a pal of mine cannot get on his mooring at Prickwillow as levels are too low for him to get anywhere near the bank.

Denver seems terrified of getting it wrong and are keeping levels down to silly proportions.

Phil