Nene on SSA

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Well I've finally joined the Nene at Northampton and am looking forward to a steady trip down to my mooring at Foax narrowboats in March. The high levels delayed the winter work programme so I can't actually get through till early April. I may call the EA to see if I can arrange passage over a weekend. If not I'll the trip with a few longer stops.

Meggers

If you are single handing, I strongly suggest you take a day by car, and visit all of the locks en-route. That way you can plan how you are going to approach each one, and spot where there might be issues (e.g. wire right next to 30 ft landing stage). I felt travelling and single-handing with a 70 fter was like the Krypton Factor sometimes!! Going downhill probably not so bad, as you just drive straight out of the lock and leave it - no going back to reverse it.

Retirement with No problem has a good blog on the Nene. My fairly useless one ishere

Not many places to moor either..

Have fun :)

Meggers

If you are single handing, I strongly suggest you take a day by car, and visit all of the locks en-route. That way you can plan how you are going to approach each one, and spot where there might be issues (e.g. wire right next to 30 ft landing stage). I felt travelling and single-handing with a 70 fter was like the Krypton Factor sometimes!! Going downhill probably not so bad, as you just drive straight out of the lock and leave it - no going back to reverse it.

Retirement with No problem has a good blog on the Nene. My fairly useless one ishere

Not many places to moor either..

Have fun :)

Is it back on SS yet, we have a lot of water in the river her in Suffolk

The fields and marshes round here were flooded before the snow. It was on the point of coming into the back garden.

It is indeed very wet, The Bourne Gutter is running for the first time in 12 years.

The Chess outside my mums house is also well in water.

So how long before the first hosepipe ban?

Very slow at Northampton.

I heard if a problem with boats running aground and a sandbank near Billing. Anyone know if this s true and if so is it marked?

Just found the EA warning notice and answered my own question.

We just came through OK. Set out from Gayton Marina on Wednesday and arrived in Oundle late Friday afternoon. We were warned about the sand bank but not given any details of exactly where it was. Think we went over it at a junction not far after billing. Heard a scrape underneath and saw a bit of gravel under the water. We could have been lucky and hit the best bit. We were a little right of the middle.

There were a couple of locks that seemed fast cant remember their names but they were the two before lilford.

Wouldn't want to do them locks on my own, especially the three manual guilatines! Hope you get through OK and will see you in March soon.

Forgot to mention Islip bridge is very low headroom. Couldn't get my chimney off but the bridge managed it for me!

Edited by Sydknee

We just came through OK. Set out from Gayton Marina on Wednesday and arrived in Oundle late Friday afternoon. We were warned about the sand bank but not given any details of exactly where it was. Think we went over it at a junction not far after billing. Heard a scrape underneath and saw a bit of gravel under the water. We could have been lucky and hit the best bit. We were a little right of the middle.

There were a couple of locks that seemed fast cant remember their names but they were the two before lilford.

Wouldn't want to do them locks on my own, especially the three manual guilatines! Hope you get through OK and will see you in March soon.

Forgot to mention Islip bridge is very low headroom. Couldn't get my chimney off but the bridge managed it for me!

Did you meet a Narrowboat called Blossom powered by an outboard motor.

They haven't updated the web site yet http://www.environme...ion/130933.aspx

i wouldnt worry about the website, titchmarsh is well up, my mates car is at the top of the slip in the mill pool, the water is lapping at the wheels, this will be a rise of about 3' since friday, yet another week of non boating.

i managed a quick blat down to kings head friday afternoon, so far this year we have managed titchmarsh to denford and titchmarsh to wadenhoe x 2, pretty poor perfomance in all!

the elysian did 50 hours last year, most of which was done in 14 days spread accross two holidays that had to be aborted early.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any news about the stoppages on the Nene? I heard Elton is likely to be closed for another few weeks even after SSA come off. Will call the river managers when we get closer but wondered if anyone local has any news?

Anyone got any news about the stoppages on the Nene? I heard Elton is likely to be closed for another few weeks even after SSA come off. Will call the river managers when we get closer but wondered if anyone local has any news?

Wife spoke to them today and they hope to be finished before this weekend, weather and other issues permitting.

We are hoping to get to our mooring by Tuesday.

Wife spoke to them today and they hope to be finished before this weekend, weather and other issues permitting.

We are hoping to get to our mooring by Tuesday.

Its OK you have room now as we have buggered off now across the wide waters to the Little Ouse.

Do you like fishing as around the marina has more than its fair share of pike.

Its OK you have room now as we have buggered off now across the wide waters to the Little Ouse.

Do you like fishing as around the marina has more than its fair share of pike.

That's a shame but glad you managed to get to where you wanted to be.

Not very keen on fishing which is handy as I've got a fair bit of work to do on the boat.

Good luck Meggers, I've just read this thread and it brought back the nightmares of my first journey on Roe (70', 3' draft) coming back from Cambridge onto the GU. I had less than 5 hours experience at a helm before I bought her (and had never done a lock.) Whitersley Bend is to this day the most terrifying experience of my life, I swear, I was but a degree from capsizing! Send my love to the guys at Foxes who cobbled me some sort of engine controls together