Nene on SSA

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

When I drove past the Nene earlier today a strong stream warning is a slight understatement it looked very high and very fast and is likely to stay that way for a good while.

Still on the bright side the Nene white water centre wasn't underwater like it was yesterday so I suspect some floodgates have been opened

At least its between the banks it isn't here at Ringstead, no through route to the Addingtons as the river is across the road.

I went to Willy watt to attend to my parents boat, chest waders on and a stick to feel my way. Water was well above waist height. Managed to sort ropes but had a feeling flow and levels had risen in the hour I was there.

Clive was struggling with morons flooding the tea room with the bow wave from driving too fast thru flood water prior to bridge.

No piccys im afraid, no pockets in me waders, by time I got back to car I had had enough anyway!

As an aside, I understand the nene has been subject to SSA for 80 odd days so far this year, bearing in mind the first SSA was around end of April beginning of May ( when billing was evacuated) managed 50 hours boating since June, which includes a week's holiday......

What I have noticed since being moored in Ely is the pretty constant level maintained there

A typical maximum rise and fall range in a day is about 1' mostly less.

This how it is now

ChartImage.jpg?Id=19&ChartType=Graph

And this is pretty much how it is all the time. Lets hope this remains in the future.

Flood water from the upper reaches of the ouse are controlled at brownhills staunch, discharging via old and new Bedford rivers, old west and Ely ouse. levels below hermatige are controlled by Denver and the relief channel, you only have to look at the scale of the Denver complex compared to dog in a doublet on the nene to see why the Ely ouse gets an easier time of it.

Godmanchester looked a bit soggy on the news last night, the upper reaches having the same issues as the nene in so much as brownhills isn't all that large relative to the great volumes of water it has to cope with.

Edited by gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Not seriously, however as I have said before "the Nen is a somtimes navigable flood control system"

It will be a question of a few days here a few days there that it is open.

One of the reasons that Loddon came back from Earith to the GU by road when we bought her in July this year.

You will have to keep an eye on the weather and SSA and jump your chance.

Next week the Northampton Arm will be frozen.

If you are really desperate it will be about £1250 from MK to Earith including cranes.

What I have noticed since being moored in Ely is the pretty constant level maintained there

A typical maximum rise and fall range in a day is about 1' mostly less.

This how it is now

ChartImage.jpg?Id=19&ChartType=Graph

And this is pretty much how it is all the time. Lets hope this remains in the future.

The level is well mainained in Ely. We had a house near the river that we rennovated, There ws a water line at neck height on the ground floor but that was 1953 or something. Since thaen it's been ok. I've lived here for 20 years and it's never flooded out of the river.

Edited by boathunter