Low voltage hoovers??

LadyB

Featured Posts

You can't beat a macho vacuum cleaner and a large inverter, missus does the hoovering when the bulk charge has finished and she can take her time and give everything a good suck.

Don't go there...

Are you suggesting that your vacuum cleaner also does blow jobs, that is to say hair drying for instance.?

I've had a Dyson HEPA for over 10 years here at home and its never been serviced and filters only ever been hand washed. Admit its now seen better days but as my youngest has eczema we invested in one for that purpose and its been worth its weight in gold. Expensive they may be but they do last a long time. I see they have brought a new one out called a Dyson Stick also in a HEPA version. Its cordless and hangs on the wall in a charger. Worth a look in my opinion.

I bought the DC35 dyson handheld last year, revolving brushes, good power - picks up a helluva lot of dust and dirt I can't even see, small enough to fit the charging bracket inside the back bedroom cupboard.

BUT - the DC35 only comes with a 240V charger so you need to ring the Dyson 'Technical Helpline' (which isn't technical but a customer service person who will make a technical query on your behalf..) and tell them that you want to charge from 12V batteries. An earlier Dyson model had a 12V charger and it will fit the modern DC35 even though it is not supplied.

They send you the 'old' 12V bayonet charger which will fit into a cig lighter socket and this slots into the bracket you already have. If you send them your 240V charger in exchange there is no financial extra charge.

I can get my 70ft boat entirely spick and span on a charge with some left over and now no inverter needed for charging. Feels like an essential part of the boat now.

We also have one of those rechargeable ones. I believe GTech are based in Worcester. But I certainly would only recommend the 7.2 Volt model, not the lower voltage ones. It does take ages to recharge, and unfortunately the charging light is not designed to go out when fully charged, for some unaccountable reason. Apart from that silly design fault, it is a great little sweeper, and extremely compact.

Hurry, Hurry. Look here on Ebay. Just bought 2. One for the boat and one for my mum (who has a dog and and getting on a bit now)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180996822391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rob

Hurry, Hurry. Look here on Ebay. Just bought 2. One for the boat and one for my mum (who has a dog and and getting on a bit now)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180996822391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rob

Lidl have similar in as well around here.

We have an Electrolux hand held - mains power 800 watts - that has a revolving brush that can be switched on or off. It is excellent. Only drawback is the dist bag is small bit it easy to empty so not a great problem. I think it was £50 or so from Argos.

Dave

I bought this one for home use a couple of years ago wanting the most powerful handheld at the best price.

31f5XUzWA1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The B & D V1250N Dustbuster is a no frills (no tools) very powerful handheld available through eBay for as little as £29.95. I have just bought another for the boat. Although I haven't tried yet, having a NiMh 12 volt battery it should be rechargeable directly from service batteries when they are on charge rather than the supplied mains adapter.

Dewalt do a 18v volt Battery and 240V similar to a Henry, can also be used as a wet dry, very good i use one for cleaning up after building jobs.

Rowan

Hi again the Dewalt Vacuum DC500 for around £94 the also do a handheld but I have no knowledge of this model.

• 3 months later...

I bought one of those Gtech cordless sweepers (7.2v) after reading this thread back in Oct last year. Never been very impressed with it performance wise or the cheapo feel to it. Finally gave-up with it today. Even though I clean/empty-it-out after each use, it was hardly picking up at all and actually dumping more crud out than it picked-up. Moh is fed-up of me complaining about it and I just know he's thinking "that's another £50 up the swanny". So, today I decided to see about returning it and to my surprise Amazon have agreed I can return it for a full refund and they are going to send 'postage-paid returns labels'... Result! :)

I bought one of those Gtech cordless sweepers (7.2v) after reading this thread back in Oct last year. Never been very impressed with it performance wise or the cheapo feel to it. Finally gave-up with it today. Even though I clean/empty-it-out after each use, it was hardly picking up at all and actually dumping more crud out than it picked-up. Moh is fed-up of me complaining about it and I just know he's thinking "that's another £50 up the swanny". So, today I decided to see about returning it and to my surprise Amazon have agreed I can return it for a full refund and they are going to send 'postage-paid returns labels'... Result! :)

Result indeed!

Now, (if you've got 240v available) find an extra £30 and get yourself a Samsung! Ace!

Get the little Dyson handheld jobbie!

Dysons are like marmite, you either love them or hate them!

I HATE them, garish styling and lots of fragile looking bendy plastic clips and things.

Gillie loves them and so we got one!

I grudgingly have to accept that they work, and work very well!! including engine room and other "man" jobs.

The bendy plastio bits do not break even when you drop the whole thing on the floor!

Worth investing in a spare battery so you always have one ready to go.

Only complaint (apart from looking like a part of a dalek) is that the safety switches can be a bit over sensitive..you have to get the filter fitted

spot on etc. or it won't work!

.........Dave

If you want the best vac for picking up dog hairs you can't get better than ours (IMO of course ;) ). It's a Miele Cat & Dog Turbo 5000 and it's brilliant. Previously we'd tried several including Dysons but this knocks spots off them. Having a short haired sandy coloured dog the hairs get everywhere and stick firmly to any carpets or furniture.

Still living on land it's fine at the moment but when we start living aboard in a few months time I'm worried as to whether it will drain the boat's batteries though. But we took it there yesterday and had it running with the boat's engine going and the inverter on and everything seemed fine.

I used to have at home one of those modern-no-bag-needed-platic rubish that you'd think very convinient when buying at the shop. They never realy work, and we have a cat. Bit frustated about this untill I've met a

proffessional cleaner who talked to me about 'nilfisk'. Went to the shop, and although they're dear, I bought one, the Nilfisk GM80. Very happy with it, I don't even mind hoovering now. Great powerful machine

8003.jpg Of course, I don't know how practical this would be without shore-line...

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I'm still wittering on about this, but today whilst reading the latest Towpath Talk moh pointed out what looks like the dogs doo dahs of a vacuum called the marinevac. Looks v impressive but before I talk him into buying me one has anyone here ever used one, have one or can recommend them?

Can't believe I'm still wittering on about this, but today whilst reading the latest Towpath Talk moh pointed out what looks like the dogs doo dahs of a vacuum called the marinevac. Looks v impressive but before I talk him into buying me one has anyone here ever used one, have one or can recommend them?

Well its not low voltage and its not low power