Dutton breach & Croxton damage report update

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

To render why I posted this in the first place.

As a CRT volunteer most times work is done from my work boat, however as I have a fairly comprehensive set of media contacts and are a member of many waterway internet groups last week I highlighted the appeal through those contacts. It seemed to have a good result.

I was asked by Jonothan Ludford if I would post up Vince's summary through the same "system" which I agreed to.

CWDF is held in high regard by CRT and so I became the proxy poster and a similar message went out to other sites and groups getting the message to thousands of individuals, from the UK to the Great Lakes, where ever there is interest.

CRT is the "new chance" on hand for our waterways, why not support it? Whats is the alternative?

Thank you to those who have commented well on the letter and please continue to support CRT and dispell the doom mongerers who acheive bugger all.

I absolutely refuse to envisage his boating the altogether. The very idea is appalling!

N

That doesn't really read like English.......

Was it perhaps intended to be....

"I absolutely refuse to envisage his boating altogether."

or even

"I absolutely refuse to envisage his boating in the altogether."

If so, I have to agree that for one of those (at least) it is a fairly frightening thought!

as predicted...

It serves a purpose though because when CRT staff clock that their comms. are tampered with in certain places they'll stop sending them to there and then certain places can have a good old moan that CRT don't communicate with them....

And it is notable that they miss out the donation link line! Such is their "support"

I'm nor sure that should come as a surprise -- given that their "support" so far has consisted of a piece advising people not to donate, and another by Allan saying that the appeal shows C&RT is deliberately misleading the public. Both of those pieces remain online, too.

Brilliant! - the more I read, the more I trust the Trust.

Compare this to my local council who recently spent several £100K on a report into moving the council offices out of town so they could park at work more easily...

Edited by boathunter

Brilliant! - the more I read, the more I trust the Trust.

Compare this to my local council who recently spent several £100K on a report into moving the council offices out of town so they could park at work more easily...

I, too, enjoyed the report greatly and find it illuminating that NBW published a report so critical.

N

Having got rather frustrated with responses to various things we as CRT Volunteers were getting I finally contacted the Trustees direct. I had a response from John Dodwell saying he would investigate, and quite quickly that was followed by a email from Vince Moran including detailed explanations of our problems, the internal discussions, and a satisfactory solution to our original request. This compared with the "NO" from nameless, faceless management members recieved previously

I strongly believe there is a new mind set within CRT, and I think this is filtering down withing their management structure. It is very early days and things are far from perfect but the signs are good. Lets at least continue to offer encouragement and patience.

I had a response from John Dodwell saying he would investigate

John Dodwell is one of my unsung hero's I first met him at Marple in the late 60's and on that weekend he become one of my all time heros, he is epic and has worked in a positive way for the canal system for many years, long may it continue.

I was on a WRG camp in the summer which has gained a certain amount of notoriety for EVERYTHING going wrong.

We were evicted from the school we were accommodated in, spent 1 night in a travel lodge at a motorway services on the M60 and frankly, the camp was about to fall apart, which would not have been great for the Duke Of Edinburgh folks who were hoping to complete their Gold Award through it.

Who stepped into the breach in so far as finding work for us and giving us somewhere to live? The Canal and Rivers Trust. We actually slept on the floor of the offices at their depot in Rochdale.

It turned into a great week and would have been a disaster if the Camp Leader and the forward thinking staff at the Trust had not pulled a blinder.