Dutton breach & Croxton damage report update

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Allan, I have lost track of what you want. Vince seems to have found a low cost way of communicating with us. What is it you would like him to do instead?

Richard

I am sorry if I gave you the impression of wanting something <_< .

If 'by us' you mean this forum rather than boaters in general, then I would again point out that CART already has a means of communication via the members they already have.

It was not so long ago that we were getting excited because we thought that Sally Ash was communication with us.

I am sorry if I gave you the impression of wanting something <_< .

If 'by us' you mean this forum rather than boaters in general, then I would again point out that CART already has a means of communication via the members they already have.

It was not so long ago that we were getting excited because we thought that Sally Ash was communication with us.

Allan, please clarify something for me. Do you think that your posts to this forum, dripping negativity as they generally do, will encourage people to visit Narrowboatworld?

If so, I fear that you may be deluding yourself.

Usually, it is a case of "them" responding to something in NBW rather than here.

Perhaps they have realised just how insignificant and out of touch Tom's blog is.

Tom gets a couple of emails saying they won't be donating and he claims that the boaters have spoken.

Why shouldn't CWDF?

Allan,

Having just looked at your header page (http://narrowboatworld.com/) and then your comments on here, it leads me to the conclusion that you are acting like a petulant child, who has got upset because CWDF got the note and not you.

Tough, and get over it.

Its not my header page. As I have said before on this forum, I am not narrowboatworld's editor.

On facebook, it will normally be Anja Nettler or Damien Kemp that respond on behalf of CART. Both are members of this forum......

Anja Nettler (for example) was active less than a month after she joined in April, with only a very few posts made.

I'd not hold out great hopes that she sees this forum as playing much part in her role.

Let's just get info from anyone prepared to engage us, (even if it comes from near the top!)

EDITED TO ADD:

As you know, some time back CaRT (often in the guise of Anja) started heavily censoring the "Waterscape Official" group on Facebook, before then unceremoniously killing it off, in favour of some lifeless "community pages" (or something like that!) that in no way replace it. I no longer see it as a useful source of information, and don't think I'm alone in that. A very retrograde move, made with some very dodgy "justification", that is exactly in the opposite direction one might have hoped they would go. We need more openness not less!

Edited by alan_fincher

The message was clear, open, honest and informative. I congratulate Vince on taking the time to write it and Laurence for posting it on his behalf.

On what basis do you think his reply was honest?

This will not be the first time that BW/CART has deliberately misled the public regarding its spending on the waterways.

This will not be the first time that BW/CART has deliberately misled the public regarding its spending on the waterways.

Allan

You constantly do down any attempts by Cart to do pretty much anything it seems. And see conspiracy in even the most unlikely places (perhaps just this once it is not really there, if it ever was.)

maybe history would show Cart on the grassy knoll if written by people like you.

Give the people of Cart time to try to change the waterways for the better.

I fear your constant doom mongering will put off people from getting involved in ways that could enhance the waterways for future generations.

Sorry to interrupt the bickering children, but I really feel something needs to be said here.

This is surely a matter of priorities.

1. To get the canal system running again following what has been, by any standards, a disaster.

2. There isn't a 2.

In order to do this, money needs to be found. At the moment, bickering about who says what to whom first and why is of absolutely NO importance or relevance. Surely we would all be better occupied thinking of new ideas to HELP CaRT raise the money which will be spent for all of our benefit? They will have to account for all monies in the end, so maybe a bit less angst over minor interim communications might help us to concentrate on what is important.

End Rant.

Just awarded my first ever greenie.

haggis

As our boat is equidistantly moored in Uplands Basin between the two areas of concern, I am very pleased to be receiving regular updates, even though I am not holding my breath as to when we will be able to reach either Middlewich or Lymm in the near future.

It is a worry for many including, no doubt, the brand new landlord and landlady of the Stanley Arms who will take a big hit as will many of the thriving businesses.

Brings it home to us all how at the mercy of the elements we are irrespective of the money that sits in the bank (or does not) of whichever organisation is currently given the role of canal guardians.

Alan, your vitriolic take on just about anything CART does is tiresome, tedious and pretty darn depressing.

Edited by sam pig

Sorry to interrupt the bickering children, but I really feel something needs to be said here.

In order to do this, money needs to be found. At the moment, bickering about who says what to whom first and why is of absolutely NO importance or relevance. Surely we would all be better occupied thinking of new ideas to HELP CaRT raise the money which will be spent for all of our benefit? They will have to account for all monies in the end, so maybe a bit less angst over minor interim communications might help us to concentrate on what is important.

End Rant.

Did it really need to be said?

This is a discussion forum and this thread is a discussion about Vince Moran's statement about the breach.

There is no bickering and there are other threads about the money raising aspect of the issue.

There are people who do not believe we should be donating to an appeal and, whilst I disagree with them I am happy to discuss their opinion, on this discussion forum.

Why should they not have their say?

Rather than just bulldoze their beliefs out of the way let them join the debate and allow those that disagree with them the opportunity to change their minds.

This is not a campaigning website as there are too many people with differing viewpoints to form a universal manifesto.

Your "rant" seeks to exclude members whose opinions differ from yours (and mine) and this is wrong.

This is surely a matter of priorities.

1. To get the canal system running again following what has been, by any standards, a disaster.

2. There isn't a 2.

End Rant.

If people disagreeing here was likely to adversely affect the raising of money for the repair of the breach, then you might have a point.

It won't. and you don't.

Just think how much energy you could have put into fund raising instead of whinging about what other people want to spend their time doing.

On facebook, it will normally be Anja Nettler or Damien Kemp that respond on behalf of CART. Both are members of this forum......

So what - I still don't see why it's 'strange' - maybe you are not grasping that there might just be a wind of change blowing through the corridors of CRT that means they want to do things differently.

After all if they just want to perpetuate the 'old' ways of doing things as per BW you's be one of the first to complain.

Just awarded my first ever greenie.

haggis

Whilst you are entitled to do just that, why?

The post was made by someone that doesn't understand the concept of a discussion forum.

Oh FFS!!

You are actually worse than a petulant child, because at least you can explain and reason with them.

Being a Charity CaRT will have to produce full and very complete accounts for this incident and any others they have. They are being very open, not only to the boating community, but to all their other users about what needs to be done and how it can be paid for. They should be lauded and congratulated for the statement published here.

I'm guessing by your replies here, and on other threads previously, that if this had been given first to the inconsequential and often reportedly innaccurate forum you so proud advertise, your response would be totally different.