stoppage Watford locks

Magic Potion

Featured Posts

Watford Flight, Locks 1-7

Monday 10 September 2012 until further notice

The Watford Locks flight is closed with immediate efect due to emergency repairs. The canal will be dewatered on Tuesday 11th September when repairs will be carried out. The flight will be closed until further notice.

Enquiries: 01908 302500

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: http://www.waterscape.com/login and uncheck the relevant box.

Thanks for this.

hmmm. We were reckoning on going through on Wednesday morning. Will be at Crick tomorrow midday-ish and can pick up news and also about boats stacked up Crick-side. Not a lot of traffic coming down from Foxton today. Anyone else with additional news?

Watford was busy today but as the failure occurred this afternoon only 3 boats at the crick side were effected and 5 at the southern end at that time.

One of the paddles has failed in the middle of the staircase so I suppose timescales for the stoppage are unknown until they have dewatered and inspected the reason for the failure and remedial work required.so I would imagine if they are closed until Wednesday there will be quite a queue.

Brill. Thanks for the extra info. We can lose a day or two without a problem so we'll see how things go tomorrow. Waiting in line brings back memories of summer hirings over on the Llangollen!

We've only seen a couple of boats heading down from Foxton ... so maybe there won't be too great a bottleneck. And let's hope they can fix the problem. It's the week-only holiday boats I feel sorry for.

Further updates welcome!!

Just called them for more info - best bet is to call them back Thursday or Friday when they may have more details.

New number is 03030404040 as the 01908 number cuts off.

HTH

Thanks for the number. I'll ring tomorrow afternoon after they've dewatered the locks - or just ask at Crick because I guess everyone will know.

Brill. Thanks for the extra info. We can lose a day or two without a problem so we'll see how things go tomorrow. Waiting in line brings back memories of summer hirings over on the Llangollen!

We've only seen a couple of boats heading down from Foxton ... so maybe there won't be too great a bottleneck. And let's hope they can fix the problem. It's the week-only holiday boats I feel sorry for.

Further updates welcome!!

Thanks for the number. I'll ring tomorrow afternoon after they've dewatered the locks - or just ask at Crick because I guess everyone will know.

We are moored in Crick for the night, planning to go down tomorrow, there are at least 3 boats here planning to do the same thing.

We are moored in Crick for the night, planning to go down tomorrow, there are at least 3 boats here planning to do the same thing.

Bon chance .... since we weren't planning to go down till Wednesday anyway, we'll keep to that so as not to add to the queue immediately!

Perhaps you can let us know how you get on ... I'll come and find you!

Edited by Jo_

So be we. Came up Watford flight yesterday. One lock gate was leaking somewhat, but nothing to indicate a failure imminent with the paddles.

Why on earth should it take so long? It shouldn't be a difficult job

Probably harder than you think, if it is mid staircase, so one that connects to the side pounds.

I'd imagine on a conventional lock it could be considerably easier to resolve.

So be we. Came up Watford flight yesterday. One lock gate was leaking somewhat, but nothing to indicate a failure imminent with the paddles.

And now we are moored right in front of you.

Why on earth should it take so long? It shouldn't be a difficult job

It may not be, but you can bet your life they won't start to drain it untill the safety fencing arrives.

We should get diesel, do elsan and water so will go into an overnighter at Crick Marina and see what's what tomorrow. Gorgeous day so far. Fingers crossed it turns out not to be a long fixing job. But - Brian, Haggis and Johnmck -which pub for a Tuesday night banter if you don't get through? :cheers:

We're now tucked up in Crick Marina - dieseled up etc. Dave says towpath outside has boats waiting. But it's VERY quiet out on the canal, so maybe - if the lock is fixed in the next 24 hours, it won't take long to clear the queue.

So it's Edwards or the Red Lion tonight and then see what tomorrow brings. Any updates welcome.

Jo

I think Edwards has a new name now. No idea what the new place is like.

We're re-planning our trip and heading out past Warwick and up the Hatton Flight. Our Leicester Line exploration will have to wait for another time.

It seems to be just the same, just called "The Moorings".

If you are at Crick try the Working Men's Club just round the corner from the Wheatsheaf. You don't have to be a member (membership £6 per year if you want to join) but you have to sign the book and pay a £1 per person - beer is good and "happy hour" is until 7pm. £2 a pint, then £2.50 a pint after 7pm