River Nene Mooring

Tony A

Featured Posts

Then what is the river which flows through March? It was called the Nene last time I looked. It also flows past the end of our garden. I mention Fox's simply because I have first-hand experience of dealing with them, and can recommend them.

billing marina oundle marina or blackthorn at ringstead.

athy is quite correct. March is home to the Middle Level Watermans Club, who are members of the Association of Nene River Clubs.....

the river nene old course is a different matter.

Then what is the river which flows through March? It was called the Nene last time I looked. It also flows past the end of our garden. I mention Fox's simply because I have first-hand experience of dealing with them, and can recommend them.

Indeed I too have happily moored there for about 2 years. However if you were looking for really nice moorings in a more rural setting I can also thoroughly recommend Bill Fen

I am not doubting your knowledge of the name, however according to Wiki it doesent. Perhaps you need to edit the Wiki if it's wrong.

Gazza and Biggles....yes, it's the old original River Nene. The "new" Nene goes arrow-straight from Pbo to the Wash.

I have been to Bill Fen, nice and tranquil and tucked away, very modest fees, also has the benefit of the legendary Mrs. Shotbolt in charge! But that is not on the Nene.

billing marina oundle marina or blackthorn at ringstead.

Some friends of mine used Oundle for a while and seemed very happpy with it.

What about the new marina at Northampton (not exactly "middle" Nene but at least it's on the right river).

Also what about Weston Favell or Titchmarsh

Gazza and Biggles....yes, it's the old original River Nene. The "new" Nene goes arrow-straight from Pbo to the Wash.

I have been to Bill Fen, nice and tranquil and tucked away, very modest fees, also has the benefit of the legendary Mrs. Shotbolt in charge! But that is not on the Nene.

Indeed Bill Fen isn't on the Nene but IMO a much nicer marina and if you have to moor on he other side of Stanground and despite the extra few miles it would be my marina of choice of the two.

Can't argue with any of that, but I would point out that the marina entrance is only quarter of a mile from the Nene Old course: you leave the Nene when you turn left onto Ramsey High Lode. Indeed, the marina land extends to the banks of the Old Nene.

MP.

Can't argue with any of that, but I would point out that the marina entrance is only quarter of a mile from the Nene Old course: you leave the Nene when you turn left onto Ramsey High Lode. Indeed, the marina land extends to the banks of the Old Nene.

MP.

Moorings seam a bit scares on the ML at the moment. Fox's rang me about 3 weeks ago as I was on their waiting list a year ago to see if I still wanted one. I think Wandering Snail may be in that now.

The problem mooring on the Nene between Peterbourough and Northampton is like this year you can get stuck for a few weeks.

Happens on the ouse as well

I would go for ringstead excellent pub, stunning, chip shop and even better indian take away.

Oh and the marina looks ok as well

Happens on the ouse as well

I would go for ringstead excellent pub, stunning, chip shop and even better indian take away.

Oh and the marina looks ok as well

Moorings seam a bit scares on the ML at the moment. Fox's rang me about 3 weeks ago as I was on their waiting list a year ago to see if I still wanted one. I think Wandering Snail may be in that now.

The problem mooring on the Nene between Peterbourough and Northampton is like this year you can get stuck for a few weeks.

We're only here til next Saturday then off to Belgium via Wisbech. Lots of friendly people here and would definitely come back if necessary. Think there's a 60' and a 70' mooring available.

I wondered the same thing; surely not! There are freighters which call at Wisbech Docks and I assume they are getting across on one of those. Please tell us, Snails!

P.S. why Belgium? Is that your home. or are the canals lovely, or both?

Some friends of mine used Oundle for a while and seemed very happpy with it.

What about the new marina at Northampton (not exactly "middle" Nene but at least it's on the right river).

Also what about Weston Favell or Titchmarsh

Weston Favell is home to Northampton Boat Club, moorings are strictly members only. The same applies to Titchmarsh Mill, home to Middle Nene Cruising Club, were we are full at present with a waiting list for moorings for new members.

I take it your not sailing across?

Not this time but next time....

I wondered the same thing; surely not! There are freighters which call at Wisbech Docks and I assume they are getting across on one of those. Please tell us, Snails!

P.S. why Belgium? Is that your home. or are the canals lovely, or both?

Sadly the very boring way, lorry and on the ferry. We do enjoy Belgium, the beer and the people, and have a safe mooring for Snail there in the winter. The canals are good too. They go through a complete variety of scenery and many are very quiet, even in the summer. Our plans however are next year to head through Netherlands into Germany and Poland the following year. But we hesitate to make plans now :wacko:

That's right, although I think there may be at least one more.

Each time we come to do a bit of work on the Springer, we sit on the grassy bank just above your mooring to eat our lunch, but you obviously get wind of our approach and your boat is always deserted!

I'm planning to take our 57ft narrow boat to the middle reaches of the Nene next year.

Can anyone recommend long term non residential moorings.

Water ,electricity ans elsan would be useful.

We have just arranged to moor our boats at Blackthorne Marina (run by Willy Watts marina) in Ringstead, floating pontoon moorings with electricity and water, and it's in a lovely quiet spot on the lake.

They don't have any spare widebeam moorings at the moment but are intending to add more moorings, including widebeam apparently.

A friend has just found a mooring at Oundle marina, but say there is no shore power.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...