IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

Ally I agree the licensing issue is a red herring and as Alan says the majority of boats on the cut are licensed and therefore have BSS etc.i don't really see it us a them and us or rich and poor problem from this perspective. People in marinas who only come out a couple of weeks a year may have money but obviously no brains but they pay a license and mooring fees to CRT that keep the waterways going. CM'ers may have brains and no money and also only move a couple of weeks a year but they pay a license fee to CRT that keeps the waterways going.

So I guess that leaves just a few of us that gives CRT money and use the system. So on that basis the status quo works and all that needs changing is the rule allowing continuous mooring as at the moment this is the rule that is being broken by some members of the boating fraternity. The only implication of this over time is that fewer people will cruise as available moorings disappear apart from the moreremote areas.

Be simple enough for CRT (not the IWA) to send out a survey to license holders nationally (broken down regionally) asking a range of questions including

1. Do you agree the continuous cruising definition be changed (then give a list of options)

2. Should additional residential linear moorings provided in residential areas.

3. Should moorings no longer be provided at commercial rates but subsidised

4. Should license money be used to provide a large increase in residential moorings in urban areas.

5 should means testing be introduced to ensure only those who qualify receive the subsidised moorings.

Etc etc.

Based on the results we would then need perhaps to change CRT's constitution or board to enable it to become a more overtly political organisation due to the planning issues etc that will arise. We would also need to stop or redirect all these charity fundraising chuggers so that donors could see where there money was being directed in these changed priorities.

No Bad thing to have a discussion to explore the options,it's a complex issue in urban areas and I suspect CRT actually has very little influence on the outcome.

Some good suggestions Tuscan.

I suppose firstly there is a differentiation between the 2 types of CM'ers, those that truly just moor up and that's that, and those that 'hover' in a limited area, moving on a regular basis, but not making a full progression throughout the system.

The second type of CM'ers, I have no problem with whatsoever, they are using their boats as intended, ie they are mobile. The first type...perhaps that is where low cost means tested moorings, or a small licence addition, could apply.

As there clearly are people for whatever reasons who require these types of arrangement, then it would make sense to me to have that as a subgroup in the licencing and guidelines. I fully agree that it would be a good thing for this to be looked at afresh, and for C&RT to carry out a questionaire, perhaps that comes when renewing a licence, to find out the actual needs of todays boaters. It's all very well talking about the traditions of why the waterways were built, but today there are very different needs and desires for many that use them. Relevant policies that could make the waterways more effectively used, for both leisure and liveaboard and working boaters, would be a timely response from the new body responsible for the waterways.

And Cotswoldman...good post....far too many grumpy Meldrews, who are far more interested in what others are or aren't doing, than enjoying their own boating experience, and actually bothering to be a part of the community.

• Greenie 1

Top Story

IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'

With the successful launch of Canal & River Trust, IWA has been reviewing its campaigning priorities. Whilst inclusion of the Environment Agency's navigations within CRT remains the top priority the issue of so called 'continuous moorers' is fast climbing IWA's priority action list.

IWA is very supportive of those who wish to live aboard their boat, and indeed for those genuine continuous cruisers who travel the system in a progressive journey. However problems are caused when large numbers of live-aboard boaters without a home mooring wish, for whatever reason, to stay within a narrow geographic area. The problems had been exacerbated by years of enforcement neglect by British Waterways.

A recent survey by BW indicated that over a six-month period around 1000 boats without a home mooring did not move more than 5km and a further 1000 boats not more than 10km.

The situation in the London area and also at the west end of the Kennet & Avon canal is acute. IWA has now raised its concerns at the highest level within CRT. At a recent meeting with Sally Ash (CRT Head of Boating) these concerns were explored in detail together with her plans to tackle the situation. IWA is not alone in having concerns with other organisations, including the trade, demanding action.

Read it here IWA

Whilst in no way condoning continuous moorers isnt it realy to do with money rather than boat movement ?. Take me for example, I pay for a marina mooring but if I decide to move out and just park up somewhere up the cut and barely move for the summer I bet Bw or whoever they now like to be called would leave me alone because I pay for a mooring. I would still be continuosly mooring online but I would put money on it that they would turn a blind eye.

Tim

Whilst in no way condoning continuous moorers isnt it realy to do with money rather than boat movement ?. Take me for example, I pay for a marina mooring but if I decide to move out and just park up somewhere up the cut and barely move for the summer I bet Bw or whoever they now like to be called would leave me alone because I pay for a mooring. I would still be continuosly mooring online but I would put money on it that they would turn a blind eye.

Tim

I'd bet that hardly anyone would give a monkeys, provided it is out of the way. I wouldn't.

As a proper CC'er, who has met many cm's, the only people I have problems with are the people that moor in marinas and don't go out much if at all. They are the ones who should have the boats taken off them and given to the homeless people who would use them!

• Greenie 2

As a proper CC'er, who has met many cm's, the only people I have problems with are the people that moor in marinas and don't go out much if at all. They are the ones who should have the boats taken off them and given to the homeless people who would use them!

Rubbish.

I would have to say that over the years I have changed my position on a lot of things to do with the waterways........one being my attitude to what is often termed as CMers. IMO the canals are better for having a diverse community i would hate to live on a system just made up of people that can afford to pay for moorings. I have now quite often moored alongside CMers and enjoyed their company very much and fully understand that at the end of the day some people just can not afford a mooring but they contribute as much to the waterways and society as anyone else, sometimes even more. I guess I am also at the stage where I just do not care what other people do I have my own life to get on with, and as I get older this gets shorter and I just do not have the time to worry about if someone has a mooring, licence etc. If I arrive somewhere and I can not find a mooring I just move up the canal a bit further it never even occurs to me to worry about whether the other boats are paying for a mooring somewhere or not. Some people just need to get a life and let people get on with their own.

I don't always agree with you, but this view strikes me as very civilised. Yes, there are areas where motionless CCers are a nuisance, but on the whole, I think there are more important matters for C&RT to consider.

:lol:

:lol: Strange logic but I do agree there are many millions of pounds wasting away in marinas just for the hell of it. Have your first greenie.

Tim

:lol: Strange logic but I do agree there are many millions of pounds wasting away in marinas just for the hell of it. Have your first greenie.

Tim

Isn't it great that they subsidise the rest of us by paying license and mooring fees but hardly using he facilities. Perhaps the answer for dancers is that we compulsory purchase all the mariners and boats they contain. We could then move the homeless and CMers into the mariners and have the genuine CC'ers patrolling the network to ensure that nobody escapes. We need to start the process by nationalising CRT and making it part of the housing ministry. We could extend this to all those holiday caravan parks and holiday homes. Onward......

Why would that be then?? They own them and pay for them, if they want to leave them in marinas I cant see that it affects you in any way at all.

Their boat, their choice - what is the problem?

Tim

Lets hope the ratio of boats that stay in or go out on trips from marina's remains the same at any one time, for if they all decided to go out on trips at the same time the whole system would be completely grid locked and you would have no option but to walk to your destination either over all the boats roofs or along the towpath.

Can't see the problem

They pay their fees and put money back into the network (which it badly needs)

And even better, they don't clog up the canal by staying put

I'd say the more the merrier

Maybe we should do the same with detached houses too. You can get a lot of homeless people in those too!!!

Agree, putting great big earth banks over the entrance to places like Sawley and Pillings would not only make it more secure for the residents,stopping the nightly invasions of the cannibalflage boat, but it would also allow the marinas to farm the extensive weed fields for winter silage.

The diesel could be siphoned off before it goes off and lower the cost to those who actually cruise.

Does anyone disagree that it's plain wrong for someone to claim a bit of towpath as their private mooring and live on it for free for as long as they want ?

Personally i would rather keep the canals for boating, and not just cheap accomodation in floating sheds for the poor. ( which i am one of) living on a boat and never moving is just sad.

Edited by onionbargee

Does anyone disagree that it's plain wrong for someone to claim a bit of towpath as their private mooring and live on it for free for as long as they want ?

Personally i would rather keep the canals for boating, and not just cheap accomodation in floating sheds for the poor. ( which i am one of) living on a boat and never moving is just sad.

I used to be a continuous cruiser for a while and have been a liveaboard (with a mooring) for some ten years until 2006 but see that the problem of continuous moorers has grown so large that now is the time to say 'enough is enough' and no boat should be on the network unless it has an approved, registered mooring.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

So now we have two more options.

Take over the marina boaters and give their boats to the homeless - sounds like a Communist Manifesto!

Social mooring rates for those that can't afford commercial rates - so means testing for all boat owners then!

Some very radical proposals that will really work....my ar*e!

Where are some of you people coming from?

Edited by Thorfast

I used to be a continuous cruiser for a while and have been a liveaboard (with a mooring) for some ten years until 2006 but see that the problem of continuous moorers has grown so large that now is the time to say 'enough is enough' and no boat should be on the network unless it has an approved, registered mooring.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

And punish those of us that abide by the cc rules because of the misbehaviour of those that don't?

I think not.

so what would you like to suggest to fairly solve the problems that arise and will probably continue to arise?

It's ok to put down ideas, but what we need then are workable ideas that don't unfairly penalise the different groups on the waterways.

One may not agree with others thoughts, but what alternatives can you think of without creating more hardships?

(Ange...you posted between me and Thorfast, sorry, should have quoted him)

Edited by Ally