IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

I have not been silent Chris. I attend the local meetings and speak up when judgemental individuals are pushing unsavoury personal agendas.

Just because I don't spend hours of my life arguing/patronising/telling people they are wrong from the comfort of their keyboard does not mean I don't have a voice.

please don't begrudge "straight Heads" like me our lifestyle choice (and others who perhaps worked hard all their lives to fulfill their dream).

We don't begrudge anyone who has worked hard all of their life to fulfil their dream. Nor do we begrudge others who choose to do otherwise but still pay their way in life.

I believe that Dew was taking a pop at the conformists in life, whom because they have followed the programmed doctrine issued out by their schooling, choose to frown upon people who opt out of regulated society and live lives according to their own needs and aspirations. If you look deeper into their philosophy, you could very well question who has to it right.

The conformists (and I'm speaking as an ex-begrudgingly total conformist here) are confined to blindly following rules laid down by manipulating and self serving politicians, who abuse their electorate on a daily basis in the name of democracy. Whereas the non-conformists follow their own route in life and are often demonised for their sins.

As I stated in my opening paragraph, if these people pay their dues and don't inconvenience others with their life styles, why worry about them?

Mike

if these people pay their dues and don't inconvenience others with their life styles, why worry about them?

Trouble is, many see 'paying their dues' as conforming to the same model as they do. In Dew's terms, the slaves will be the most passionate advocates for other's slavery.

And as someone with outspoken views about people of other nationalities you must recognise this.

It's that damned advert on the telly about having problems with your tackle after 40 innit....

That's the one. A perfect example of how man has not only solved one frustrating problem with a little tablet, but another.

I never roll out of bed when I take one of those 'smartie' type sweets. :-)

Just because I don't spend hours of my life arguing/patronising/telling people they are wrong from the comfort of their keyboard does not mean I don't have a voice.

What a patronising post. What is this forum if not somewhere people can express their opinions?

My take is that there must have been something in Dew's post that you recognised in yourself otherwise why would you bother to post critically about his words and not the IWA's (on this forum)?

• Greenie 1

And as someone with outspoken views about people of other nationalities you must recognise this.

Ah, another perfect example of conformism.

One must not speak out on issues relating to people of other nationalities, even though witnessed from experience and not simply blind prejudice. One has every right to voice a valid concern based upon fact not fiction.

If I were to turn a blind eye to the outright abuse of our welfare system, local authority law or stealing of deceased people's identity, would that make me a better more socially acceptable member of society?

I'm sorry Chris, but it is only the 'rose tinted glasses' brigade whom pander to this type of conformism and quite often simply to fit snugly into the social circles that they aspire to, not because they sincerely believe that it is right.

If I were to turn a blind eye to the outright abuse of our welfare system, local authority law or stealing of deceased people's identity, would that make me a better more socially acceptable member of society?

It is the fact that you never mention these crimes in any other context than foreigners committing them that makes it appear to be prejudice, though.

There are far more English folk involved in benefit fraud, breaking local authority laws and identity theft, in this country, but you never demonstrate outrage at these criminals.

Turning a blind eye to this abuse, by foreigners, would make you appear to be less prejudiced but wouldn't make you "a better more socially acceptable member of society" whereas criticising all perpetrators of the crimes you mention, both foreign and native, might.

It is the fact that you never mention these crimes in any other context than foreigners committing them that makes it appear to be prejudice, though.

There are far more English folk involved in benefit fraud, breaking local authority laws and identity theft, in this country, but you never demonstrate outrage at these criminals.

Turning a blind eye to this abuse, by foreigners, would make you appear to be less prejudiced but wouldn't make you "a better more socially acceptable member of society" whereas criticising all perpetrators of the crimes you mention, both foreign and native, might.

You are right the english are the experts at manipulating the benefit system , some of which is criminal fraud and some perhaps "moral" .

Evidence, link?

Common sense.

There are far more British criminals of all types, in Britain, so simple common sense would indicate that there are far more breaking crimes of all types, than foreign nationals.

I could probably find evidence for my statement, if I could be bothered but, it is a fact that if you only ever criticise foreigners for crimes that are also committed by UK nationals then you leave yourself open to accusations of prejudice.

I don't think his post was aimed at you specifically.

This sort of comment has been made more than once in a sort of defence of dew's post.

However he starts off with "You have to remember that most people are dumb drones who have no concept of anything or anyone different or outside their tiny scope of 'life'. They see Pizza Hut as a good meal out with the kids and sit watching TV most nights until in their mid-life crisis, they decide to spend what money they have been able to save on a 'good idea' - a boat. "

The key word here is "most". Now it might be different down south. Maybe around Oxford or Newbury. But I take exception to the word "most" as in my experience very few people who buy a boat fit the description depicted by dew.

Before my ilness we were out on the boat for a few days nearly every week. We would see many on local moorings that hardly ever moved, but we also regularly met people who were not liveaboards (we met plenty of those as well) but liked to go to their boat to enjoy the whole boating experience. Without letting prejidice get in the way of their enjoyment, despite it often being a struggle to get on the local town's visitor moorings due to bridge hoppers and overstayers.

Maybe it's different down your way...

One has every right to voice a valid concern based upon fact not fiction.

Everyone's prejudices are 'facts'. The prejudice expressed by Dew are 'facts', those expressed by the IWA are 'facts'

I think it as important to recognise hypocrisy in one's self as to recognise our prejudices.

I write this having been moored on a water point, next to a bridge, on a busy stretch of Canal.........

mamby pamby, hoity toity, shiny weekend 'sunny only' boat steering, sandals & polyester trouser wearing from the back of a Sunday supplement magazine, voting tory but have a soft spot for the poor, not rascist as a mate I worked with was black, don't drink from a can, have a conservatory with wicker furniture from John Lewis...... I do not like these sort of boaters.

I also do not like boaters who are scruffy oiks on crap boats, sponging & cheating C&RT, causing havoc wherever they go, drinking from a can, wearing combat trousers, dirty boots & unshaven for at least 18 hours, having logs on their roof & dirty brass vents........... Disgusting

I also do not like myself for being so judgemental & allowing myself to pigeon hole everyone in an instant without even knowing them.

And while I am at it......... People who eat marmite are just plain wrong, end of! (and tripe eaters)

Excuse my sarcasm, but Im going boating & look forward to meeting all of you regardless. icecream.gif

Evidence, link?

I know some people will not count the BBC as suitable evidence but a very quick google produced the following quote from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16643677

<QUOTE>

• As of February 2011, there were 5.5m people receiving working-age benefits. Some 371,000 of those were foreign nationals when they first came to the UK, representing 6.4% of the claimants.
  • Almost 17% of all British nationals receive these benefits compared with almost 7% of all those classed as non-UK nationals when they first arrived in the UK.
  • More than half of those receiving a benefit had in fact at some point become British citizens, meaning they had the same rights as people born British.
  • </QUOTE>

OK, no breakdown by race/nationality of claimant here, but the government's own figures on benefits fraud often make very different reading from the sensationalist newspaper headlines......

Fraud & Error In The Benefits System 2011-2012

Broadly the amount money overpaid due to deliberate fraud is roughly on a par with how much gets overpaid as a result of claimant or official error, once overpayment and underpayment errors are considered.

Benefit fraud does not constitute anything lie the problem some choose to believe.

But I take exception to the word "most" as in my experience very few people who buy a boat fit the description depicted by dew.

He didn't say 'most boat owners' he said 'most people' - try shopping in the month before christmas if you doubt the truth of this statement.

or look at the charmingly mis-named 'rush hour'

I take it as a self-evident fact.

Thanks for the replies. I just have to add that this wasn't an attempt to create a stereotype, it was just me saying my bit in that moment. I spend my time taking people for what they are and loving them regardless of their own choices of how to be. I always see a loving free spirit in everyone regardless of what they have allowed their lives to become. All are free spirits and all of us have the right to choose to be a doer or a don'ter or a lover or a hater, a giver or a taker but none of it changes me. I am just me - or am I partly you too? I just am not sure any more, nor do I feel I need to be.

It is from my experience that I make and have made comment regarding these issues.

I was brought up for the first ten years of my life in a city renowned for scroungers and i witnessed that first hand too. I have since travelled widely throughout the uk and witnessed it there also. But never have i witnessed the prevalence to defraud not only the people who offered the hand of help to these folk, but their own nationalities too!

Nor for that matter, the grooming of young girls as sex slaves. Something that was allowed to prevail for fear of upsetting the ethnic minorities. Now if any of you wooly headed liberals care to condone those vile activities, along with honour killings, please come forward and offer your response on the rear of a postage stamp.

incidentally, I am yet to encounter a native of this country photographing grave stones in the cemetary where my father is buried, whereas on several occasions when visiting his grave, I have come across this evil practise by others. In mitigation, do you think that they have a 'grave spotting' hobby?

Yes, we have far too many English criminals residing here in the uk. All the more reason to prevent the importation of those from other lands.

incidentally, I am yet to encounter a native of this country photographing grave stones in the cemetary where my father is buried, whereas on several occasions when visiting his grave, I have come across this evil practise by others. In mitigation, do you think that they have a 'grave spotting' hobby?

I have just learnt a new way to offend!

I am a "native of this country", and although I have not done so for a few years, have photographed many a gravestone in churchyards or municipal cemeteries.

Admittedly I have no idea where your father is buried, so can't know if I have ever done so there, but I suppose it is just about possible.

As a family history researcher evidence from gravestones can play a very important part, and it is far easier to record them with a digital camera, and transcribe data later than it is to try and write stuff down at the time you are looking at them, (it often seems to rain in churchyards, for a start!).

So "yes", I'm a "Brit" with a "grave spotting hobby", but until now nobody has suggested it is an "evil practise", or even an evil practice! You live and learn!

He didn't say 'most boat owners' he said 'most people'

But finished by saying they buy a boat. Anyway, he must live in a strange place if "most" people follow his description, whether they buy a boat or not (and I avoid shopping in the month before Christmas).

I have just learnt a new way to offend!

I am a "native of this country", and although I have not done so for a few years, have photographed many a gravestone in churchyards or municipal cemeteries.

Admittedly I have no idea where your father is buried, so can't know if I have ever done so there, but I suppose it is just about possible.

As a family history researcher evidence from gravestones can play a very important part, and it is far easier to record them with a digital camera, and transcribe data later than it is to try and write stuff down at the time you are looking at them, (it often seems to rain in churchyards, for a start!).

So "yes", I'm a "Brit" with a "grave spotting hobby", but until now nobody has suggested it is an "evil practise", or even an evil practice! You live and learn!

I was walking round a grave yard of a church attached to a large house only yesterday , didn't take a picture but did have the dogs with me. So you are not alone.

SNIP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nor for that matter, the grooming of young girls as sex slaves. Something that was allowed to prevail for fear of upsetting the ethnic minorities. Now if any of you wooly headed liberals care to condone those vile activities, along with honour killings, please come forward and offer your response on the rear of a postage stamp.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP

First paragraph, it is not only the ethnic minorities that have done this, last year 7 men of English nationality (white) were gaoled for exactly that crime.

Second paragraph, you've not met me or my partner when doing exactly that, then.

It is from my experience that I make and have made comment regarding these issues.

I was brought up for the first ten years of my life in a city renowned for scroungers and i witnessed that first hand too. I have since travelled widely throughout the uk and witnessed it there also. But never have i witnessed the prevalence to defraud not only the people who offered the hand of help to these folk, but their own nationalities too!

Yes, we have far too many English criminals residing here in the uk. All the more reason to prevent the importation of those from other lands.

You may want to do some research on what the politicians are up to, what the connection between prince charles and jimmy savile and margret thatcher and jimmy savile are then you may begin to see some home truths and get some idea of why things are really the way they are. Remember, most people are followers and who will they follow and who will they take their example from? I think all of us need to get a reality check and start looking toward those who are the real problem here. Is this off topic? oh yeah.. the iwa likes boating providing its done only their way.