Dealing with cyclists

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I have nothing against cyclists in particular; I cycle the towpath myself but at my age probably quite sedately! However I was somewhat irritated this afternoon when doing my weekly volunteer day for the National Trust on the River Wey to have my toes run over by a cyclist - on a towpath where the Property Manager (for that's how the Trust describe it) says his towpaths were built for horses and will stay that way. I remonstrated quite vocally but didn't resort to any 'unnecessary' words but the cyclist pedalled off showing me the usual 'V' sign.

I though about the 'incident' and considered what I see from day-to-day across the Basingstoke Canal from my house where a large majority cyclists speed past on a sealed towpath put in at the expense of Sustrans and in the main, IMHO, to the detriment of all towpath users. I wonder if the time has come when cyclists ought to have a unique registration number and some form of compulsory third party insurance. It is not all cyclists that are inconsiderate but I fear there may be a significant proportion of them who don't give a damn for other towpath users of any description. Where the towpath passes a lock I think cycling should be banned (walk the cycle through as is required on the Thames) as one should be concentrating on getting the boat through the lock safely - 'it would have been quite safe Mr Insurance Claims Man / Mr CaRT representative but it ended up on the cill because my attention was distracted by a cyclist being a pratt'.

I wonder what the view of this forum is?

BTW my toes survived the experience but I could have done without the it and it could, of course, have been more serious.

I knew a Scottish bloke on a boat in Rickmansworth who had an altercation with a couple of speeding lycra clad cyclists after one of them narrowly missed his one-eyed dog on the towpath.

He is a big guy with a big temper and after words were exchanged he ended up throwing one of the cyclists into the canal while still seated on his bike. He then turned to the other cyclist who quickly turned and fled.

I'm not saying that this is an appropriate response, but those two might think twice before speeding past moored boaters and their pets again.

Sadly another case of "sign of the times" a complete lack of consideration for the rest of the world, not just confined to towpath cyclists but also anglers,walkers, runners, pet owners ad infinitum, not all I hasten to add but the wrong 'uns are the ones we remember.

Phil

he ended up throwing one of the cyclists into the canal while still seated on his bike. He then turned to the other cyclist who quickly turned and fled.

What a brilliant picture you've painted.

Yes - Assault and incitement

If the boater had a problem with the cyclists he should have contacted the police to deal with the problem. His actions constitute assault and I'm sure the police would be very interested irrespective of his provocation.

Edited by Chalky

I wonder if the time has come when cyclists ought to have a unique registration number and some form of compulsory third party insurance.

In my view this would not work.

The already law abiding and sensible ones might go for it, but I can't see those less responsible and "couldn't give a toss" ones suddenly buying in to it.

I'd say its more or less the same likelihood of success as those who say dog licenses should be reintroduced, and for similar reasons. Responsible owners geneally used to license their dogs, when it was a requirement, but numb-skulls who want something to look aggressive with are hardly likely to go down to the Post Office and do the the same.

It may sound a good idea, but if it isn't actually enforceable, (and I can't see what resources would be enforcing it very often), then it surely achieves nothing, and simply sends the wrong message.

You shouldn't in my view pass legislation that has little, and often no, chance of being enforced, even if the actual thing you are trying to enforce may seem a good idea.

Sadly another case of "sign of the times" a complete lack of consideration for the rest of the world, not just confined to towpath cyclists but also anglers,walkers, runners, pet owners ad infinitum, not all I hasten to add but the wrong 'uns are the ones we remember.

Phil

And in every case the ones who are unlikely to go along with any legislation that attempts to improve their behaviours ???

• Greenie 1

In London CART have a number of volunteer Towpath Rangers. For I am one. One of the roles is to try to get cyclists to slow down 'Drop your pace. Share the space' Unfortunately most people don't know how to share these days, a sweeping generalisation but often true. As said previously licensing etc. just penalises the responsible. Long way to go but you have to start somewhere (types he thinking of boaters who don't slow down past moored boats).

I think the improvements made to the towpaths in recent years plus the popularity of mountain bikes has led to a real noticeable increase of cyclists on towpaths. I find that a good percentage of them are sensible but there is an increasing minority who expect you to jump out of the way to let them through. I am sure we are going to get more confrontation, education of all towpath users has to be the way forward , I find standing still with my dog but not moving right out of the way tends to ensure they slow down. Licensing will not work.

All pedestrians, and especially boat owning ones, should be banned from towpaths altogether! After all, they impede cyclists and disturb fishermen in the lawful pursuit of their pleasures. What is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Speed limits for us all approaching, at and leaving locks? Boats 4mph! walkers 4mph, joggers and runners 4mph, dogs on leads 4mph, cyclists 4mph? Not a terribly serious suggestion...just a thought.

Am on the Thames at the moment though and a few of the trip boats and some cruisers carving up the rowers and canoeists have been amazing to watch in places.

If the boater had a problem with the cyclists he should have contacted the police to deal with the problem. His actions constitute assault and I'm sure the police would be very interested irrespective of his provocation.

I'm sure they would have been interested too, but they weren't called.

Read the exact words from my post numbnuts.

You do know who and what Sustran are?

Yes I do know who and what Sustrans are. In my view (and most members of Surrey and Hants Canal Society) they haven't exactly enhanced the Basingstoke Canal towpath! The towpath between the bottom of Deepcut and the Wey is a racetrack (Woking was a 'Cycling Town') and really quite a dangerous place now I am afraid especially at commuting times.

Edit to add. It is interesting that one of the most beautiful waterways in Surrey - the River Wey and Godalming Navigations refuse, at the moment, to allow Sustrans (or any other similar organisation) to enhance their towpath despite a lot of pressure - the view of the National Trust (who were bequeathed the Navigation in 1964) is that it was built for horses and it will remain suitable for horses (as it is for careful cyclists - despite this afternoon's issue - walkers, anglers and the like). It remains rural which, IMHO is wonderful.

Edited by Leo No2

I knew a Scottish bloke on a boat in Rickmansworth who had an altercation with a couple of speeding lycra clad cyclists after one of them narrowly missed his one-eyed dog on the towpath.

He is a big guy with a big temper and after words were exchanged he ended up throwing one of the cyclists into the canal while still seated on his bike. He then turned to the other cyclist who quickly turned and fled.

I'm not saying that this is an appropriate response, but those two might think twice before speeding past moored boaters and their pets again.

We're not all like that in Scotland

Some of us would have managed both of them :)

(btw. I cycle on the tow path too but hopefully am a lot more considerate)

There's room for all types on the canals if we just use our heads

Phil

And sadly some boat owners too :(

I am a boater, avid cyclist, jogger and I also fish ( not on the cut as I like to eat my catch :)

Its all about being considerate to other people and treat everyone the same way that you would like to be treated.

I always dismount on the towpath when people are around, I always slow down past moored boats.

Sadly you will always get people who will just act the way that they want, regardless of other people. I believe its all down to educating people, but thats just my opinion.

Lorraine :)

• Greenie 1

I am a boater, avid cyclist, jogger and I also fish ( not on the cut as I like to eat my catch :)

Its all about being considerate to other people and treat everyone the same way that you would like to be treated.

I always dismount on the towpath when people are around, I always slow down past moored boats.

Sadly you will always get people who will just act the way that they want, regardless of other people. I believe its all down to educating people, but thats just my opinion.

Lorraine :)

I agree

But when i was being "educated" at school there were punishments for not obeying the rules lol

A few stokes of the tawse was quite a quick reminder of said rules lol

I agree

But when i was being "educated" at school there were punishments for not obeying the rules lol

A few stokes of the tawse was quite a quick reminder of said rules lol

[/quote

LOL!! well the thing is it could be near impossible IMO to enforce stuff like that as the people who cause the problems just dont seem to care. So maybe licenced bikes!! like previously, they wouldnt bother to get a licence :(

Do you really think the cyclist would have been there when the Police arrived?

stand your ground and make them go around you! I do it all the time on all sorts of paths!

Me too !! Cyclists ( not all ) are much like any other form on bully, stand your ground and they generaly wimp off. My concern is why buy a vehicle ( thats what a cycle is ) and use it on a path. Vehicle are meant for roads.

Tim