air con ?

Featured Posts

i did measure the temp at the bottom of the cut once but i forget what it was now, it wasn't that cold, but it might be enough to supply a cooling system. any one got a temp probe ?

I know that using a solar powered water pump to drip feed all over the cabin roof does really work.

I'm tempted to jump in today, but i know whats in there, i don't fancy it.

Idea for DIY air-con:

Direct normal oscillating or fixed fan over tray of ice or cold water from fridge.

Also, use one of those fine-spray/mist things filled with cold water to spray the air. Cools it down noticeably.

Quite fancy one of these...but a bit OTT methinks.

http://www.haws.co.uk/products/metal_cans_for_indoors/300ml_mist_sprayers.html

Just put your Ecofan on top of the fridge to create a cooling effect that is the opposite to the warming effect created by it being on the stove.

:cheers: there's a logical disjunction somewhere in that, but I'm not in the mood to fan the illusory flames (or is it an illusory fanning of actual flames) of unnecessary/necessary disagreement.

Edited to add: before the logic pedants get on my case, I do realise that a logical disjunction relies on at least one of propositions being true.....which in this case may be a false assumption.

Edited by Québec

I know that using a solar powered water pump to drip feed all over the cabin roof does really work.

I know a bloke who was moored at the marina in Brentford with his own tap and he tried a hose on the roof with holes down its length to pour water over the boat. He said it nade no noticeable difference, but because his boat has integral handrails perhaps he wasn't benefitting from water that would have run down the sides of the boat.

Sitting here smugly with the aircon on I can offer a few words to those that haven't got aircon

Firstly if you are on your home mooring and have a landline there is just no excuse portable aircont was the first Thing we bought for the new boat £175 off ebay.

Draws less than 1kw so will run of most gensets when you are off the moorings.

Now for those that are 12v only the answer is simple just get a pump that pumps water onto the roof the water will evaporate and it has to take the heat to do this from somewhere so it takes it from the steel of the roof thus cooling it down and in turn that cools the inside depending on how good your insulation is.

Depends how much you need to stay cool on the few hot days west get

Laying some white towels on the rooftop and keeping them wet should help. It should work on the same principle of the old fasioned earthenware milk cooler. The water needs heat to evaporate and so takes it from the surrounding materials ie. the rooftop.

Harnser.

Edited by Harnser
  • Greenie 1

Sitting here smugly with the aircon on I can offer a few words to those that haven't got aircon

I do know of one know-all who was also a bit lazy. He bought a cheap air con unit, couldn't be bothered installing it properly and had the outlet inside the boat.

12 volt aircon solution

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/airconditioning-refrigeration/air-conditioning-archive/ec-3000-acdc.htm

I do know of one know-all who was also a bit lazy. He bought a cheap air con unit, couldn't be bothered installing it properly and had the outlet inside the boat.

Well if he had the de-humidifier option running, he would have plenty of dry air !

i did measure the temp at the bottom of the cut once but i forget what it was now, it wasn't that cold, but it might be enough to supply a cooling system. any one got a temp probe ?

I'm tempted to jump in today, but i know whats in there, i don't fancy it.

This might work when stationery.

Two old car radiators. connect them together with hosepipe with a small solar operated pump in one of the pipes. Dump one radiator in the cut so it reaches the bottom and have the other in the cabin with a fan behind it.

Harnser.

you should have known better than that :lol:

There's loads of cold air under the floor, we have 2 computer fans that draw cool air to the back of the fridge and 2 in the the bedroom.

A guy having a n/b boat built in Bristol had a steel box channel about 6 inches wide 3 inches high I recall welded to the base plate through it's internal length, a fan fitted in one end would draw air from the channel into the cabin, worked really well apparently, and surprised a few who reckon he was mad laugh.gif

This might work when stationery.

Two old car radiators. connect them together with hosepipe with a small solar operated pump in one of the pipes. Dump one radiator in the cut so it reaches the bottom and have the other in the cabin with a fan behind it.

Harnser.

exactly what i was thinking, are you a genius too?

exactly what i was thinking, are you a genius too?

Genius? I dunno.

Really, on thinking about this, I suppose that the radiator on the bed of the cut can be dispensed with and just an intake hose sunk to the bottom with a filter attached. The raw water can then be pumped through the upper radiator with the same effect.

Thanks for the greenie, whoever sent it.

Harnser.

Another method (well it's not really another method, because it's nearly the same as a hose pipe cooling the roof), is by using Underfloor/wall Heating by using a heat exchanger with canal water. It's something I'm planning to do.

A cool roof can be knocked up by the fitting of a ''Safari roof'' as some vehicles use in in hot climes, ie Land-Rovers. An added second low profile overall roof with an inch or so air gap between it and the main roof, performs a bit like double glazing. :closedeyes:

A cool roof can be knocked up by the fitting of a ''Safari roof'' as some vehicles use in in hot climes, ie Land-Rovers. An added second low profile overall roof with an inch or so air gap between it and the main roof, performs a bit like double glazing. :closedeyes:

If the second roof were to rise to a central 'ridge' which was actually an air gap, and especially if it were painted black, it should create an air current across the lower roof. Add a water drip system to the main roof surface (not too much or it'll stop the air current), hey presto!

Much the same principle as the loose-fitting black clothing worn by women in some hot countries.

Tim

If the second roof were to rise to a central 'ridge' which was actually an air gap, and especially if it were painted black, it should create an air current across the lower roof. Add a water drip system to the main roof surface (not too much or it'll stop the air current), hey presto!

Much the same principle as the loose-fitting black clothing worn by women in some hot countries.

Tim

Sounds a good plan Tim, like warm and cold weather fronts colliding which cause nice cool breezes and rain.