Thetford Cassette

Hairy-Neil

Featured Posts

I'm new to this system, having only ever used the bucket and chuck-it or at worst, the Portapotty type of system in the past. I've just had to fit a seal kit to the recently aquired Thetford cassette and now find the new rubber is putting a strain on the dump mechanism. Tried some fairy liquid but it's still tight and doubtless it'll wash off the first time it's used. Guess it'll bed in soon enough, but in the meantime.....

What do others do? :help:

I'm new to this system, having only ever used the bucket and chuck-it or at worst, the Portapotty type of system in the past. I've just had to fit a seal kit to the recently aquired Thetford cassette and now find the new rubber is putting a strain on the dump mechanism. Tried some fairy liquid but it's still tight and doubtless it'll wash off the first time it's used. Guess it'll bed in soon enough, but in the meantime.....

thetford do a spray oil for the seals.

Get a pump-out........ B)

• Greenie 1

Is that applied daily or one off?

I bought the new seals on ebay, with no instructions, no mention that I'd need the KY Jelly. This worked fine before I took it apart, just anoyed me that it dribbled when you carried the cassette to empty it. :rolleyes:

its called thetford seal lubricant. apply at regular intervals which in my case is once a year.as for the dripping i find that sometimes if you press the yellow air vent button before carrying it can help allthough i would only ever carry a cassette through the cabin in its 'lay flat' position.i dont think these things ever work like they are supposed to and there is allways going to be a drip.its a pain as the spare parts are so expensive,but i would just get used to it.on the whole i would say it is a very good system and works well most of the time but there is work involved in its maintenance and not the nice kind of work.keep the anti-bac wipes close to hand.

Is that applied daily or one off?

I bought the new seals on ebay, with no instructions, no mention that I'd need the KY Jelly. This worked fine before I took it apart, just anoyed me that it dribbled when you carried the cassette to empty it. :rolleyes:

Did you dispose of your old seal? If not they can be brought back to life by using the container the new one came in. Place old seal in container & soak really well with WD40 or similar, & tape around container joint leave for at least a week [the longer the better]& then you can reuse [ on my camping car 1992 acquired I have only ever bought 1 new seal I change them over every 12 months or so. Olive oil works well on the seal lip if you haven`t got the pukka Thetford stuff. the usual problem is lime scale around the seal lip. Wd seems to remove it & soften the rubber lip/bellows of the seal.

It is good to see someone post a good honest description of some of the failings of this system. I know and understand that for people who live aboard they really are the best bet (especially if you are likely to get iced in!) So many of the "cassette brigade" take an almost holier than thou stance abou their choice of system being the best available and reading this makes a refreshing change and puts some of the other arguments into context a little.

Thank you!

It is good to see someone post a good honest description of some of the failings of this system. I know and understand that for people who live aboard they really are the best bet (especially if you are likely to get iced in!) So many of the "cassette brigade" take an almost holier than thou stance abou their choice of system being the best available and reading this makes a refreshing change and puts some of the other arguments into context a little.

Thank you!

They are certainly not free from possible defect and the issues I've posted on here previously relate to the faulty level indicator and the ratchet system that failed last year on our c250 which left us unable to re-insert the cassette and therefore without without a working loo for a good few hours until I fixed with sheer brute force amazing technical expertise.

Get a pump-out........ B)

Plus

Snip... I would only ever carry a cassette through the cabin in its 'lay flat' position.

It's in a motorhome.... ;)

Place old seal in container & soak really well with WD40 or similar, & tape around container joint leave for at least a week [the longer the better]& then you can reuse [ on my camping car 1992 acquired I have only ever bought 1 new seal I change them over every 12 months or so.

Are you from Yorkshire.... ;)

They are certainly not free from possible defect and the issues I've posted on here previously relate to the faulty level indicator and the ratchet system that failed last year on our c250 which left us unable to re-insert the cassette and therefore without without a working loo for a good few hours until I fixed with sheer brute force amazing technical expertise.

It goes without saying the level indicator doesn't work. I just peer down the hole before/after use... :unsure:

Snip.... Olive oil works well on the seal lip if you haven`t got the pukka Thetford stuff.

I'll give that a try.... :cheers:

So many of the "cassette brigade" take an almost holier than thou stance abou their choice of system being the best available...

Likewise the pump-out disciples.

Having had pretty much every system going, apart from composting (any system that requires me to separate my excrement will not be fitted on any boat I ever own) I have yet to find one system noticeably better than another.

Of the various systems I would probably go for either a simple dump through or a porta potti except the big deciding factor...the porta potti is free to empty (please don't suggest the filthy habit of Self-PO).

Then again the cassette on the lifeboat was extracted from the toilet, into the engine room whilst ducking under the hydraulic pump, wedging yourself between the engine room wall and the starboard engine whilst twisting your body into a position that a circus contortionist would be proud of so I may like that system better, if sensibly installed.

Well i think self p/o works well as long as you use a mains connected SS (although how this differs from a few cassette users doing same thing I cant quite fathom....) and you aim the pipe well.....never left a SS dirty after use and in quite a few cases they have been left cleaner after somebody with a cassette cant manage to pour properly!....before anyone else kicks off I also have a grotty potty as a back up...If you moor here at Salthouse for any length of time and dont have a p/o then you best have a few spare containers.....

Cheers

Gareth

Neil, no I originally come from Derbyshire, The reuse seal idea was given to me when I first came looking to buy a house & to live in France I spent some time living & travelling around the regions in my Motorhome, choosing a place to buy & using the many Aires De Service they have here. On asking a fellow traveller one day where I could purchase a new seal I was given the info[ he was a full time living in his CC/MH] used the info to good advantage ever since

Edited by AlanW

It is possible to put the seals in upside down which affects the seal. Also you need to remove the locating ring for the seal -there are some visible screws and some concealed under the plastic guides for the plastic slide/cover.

I always pop my Thetford cassette into one of those really sturdy LIDL bags (other brands are available!)

It catches any little dribbles (which can be rinsed out) AND it is a far easier way to carry the cassette.

In a previous thread on a similar vein some mentioned the use of biological washing powder/liquid instead of toilet blue. I have opted for the bio-liquid and have been using it for some six months now and can report that it works very well with no nasty pongs or chemicals. As a plus the water/bio-liquid mix seems very slippery and lubricates the seals well. In spite of concerns that the seals might suffer they are still in excellent condition.

I add a couple of capfuls of the concentrate to the holding tank and a capfull to the flushing tank.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I con only think that you have the seal upside down.

The blade mechanism seals by moving the blade across slightly dropped, then pushing it up against the seal, so lubrication isn't going to help.

I've fitted the new seal in as the old one was installed. The old seal worked ok, but leaked. I initially put it down to a couple of years of inactivity before I bought the vehicle.

Does anyone have drawings/diagrams of how the seal is intended to be so as I can check?

I've fitted the new seal in as the old one was installed. The old seal worked ok, but leaked. I initially put it down to a couple of years of inactivity before I bought the vehicle.

Does anyone have drawings/diagrams of how the seal is intended to be so as I can check?

If it is a C-200 cassette then this link will show a diagram of all the parts. http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/Thetford_Cassette_Toilets/Thetford_Toilet_C-200S__Thetford_C-200CS_Cassette_and_Spares.aspx?pdf=3504&pdf_page_id=7898&dpn_id=-1&sch=0

HTH

Dave

What seals the cassette to the pan.... :unsure:

The top of the seal.

If you are having trouble closing the blade hut the cassette slides in ok and the grey shutter slides on ok then I would still suspect a seal upside down or not seated properly.

The top of the seal.

If you are having trouble closing the blade hut the cassette slides in ok and the grey shutter slides on ok then I would still suspect a seal upside down or not seated properly.

If this is the cover that's fitted to the cassette when out of the box, then I don't have one. What exactly is their purpose?

Thanks for the help BTW... :cheers:

• Greenie 1