Volunteer Lockies

mayalld

Featured Posts

And I note with interest the comments about using a centre rope in locks. As a cruiser owner I am acutely aware of the potential danger of nb's and heard a nb the other day tell us that they wouldn't share a broad lock with us as previously they 'amost crushed a cruiser'. It turned out, that they (the nb) had not used ropes to secure the boat however as it was relayed to us, this was somehow the cruiser's fault! I've also had to fend off untied nb's in locks on several occasions where it was clear that the 'experienced' nb skipper had little actual control over their boat.

If people want to use ropes or otherwise in locks is entirely up to them, however when sharing with any boat (whether plastic, steel or wood) - there should be some consideration to the other boats wishes.

Not wanting to start a tupperware vs crawler debate though! Just an observation :)

Agreed.

we always use a centre rope when in a wide/broad/double lock on our own, as SWMBO likes the reassurance and control it gives. Also tend to use one if we're the first boat in to a lock whilst waiting for the other boat. (but not whilst actually operating the lock as no need).

We use one if sharing with a cruiser or non nb as that is, IMHO a sensible thing to do and no great hardship.

As others have stated not every lock behaves in quite the same way and generally but not always I'd open the ground paddle on the same side as the boat when going up so that the boat is held against the lock wall, but this depends on where the water enters the lock and how quickly the paddles are opened and of course assumes that the paddle gear on that side is operable which it often isn't !

can't see why you'd need any ropes in a single/narrow lock though (maybe if single handing ?) and don't think I've ever needed to.

can't see why you'd need any ropes in a single/narrow lock though (maybe if single handing ?) and don't think I've ever needed to.

According to BW's Boating Handbook, you need to use bow and stern ropes in narrow locks going uphill -

Keep your boat steady using front and back ropes looped round the bollards – take an extra turn around the bollard to stop the boat pulling you, but don’t tie up.

This differs from locking down where you can optionally use the engine instead!

****Edited to add, I am not advocating that anyone follows the instructions in the Boaters handbook

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

it is perfectly possible to have a NB and a cruiser going uphil in the same wide lock with no ropes used.

You just have to open the paddles in the correct order and the correct ammount.

In my experience, this really doesn't work that well although I guess the nature of the specific lock may have something to do with it, so now if sharing a broad lock with a NB, I will always insist on boats being roped. Ironically, the worst two times where the un-roped nb caused most worries with its uncontrolled movement, had been following an exclamation from the skipper that they 'don't need ropes' due to their years of experience.

In my experience, this really doesn't work that well although I guess the nature of the specific lock may have something to do with it, so now if sharing a broad lock with a NB, I will always insist on boats being roped. Ironically, the worst two times where the un-roped nb caused most worries with its uncontrolled movement, had been following an exclamation from the skipper that they 'don't need ropes' due to their years of experience.

In my experience, it works extremely well, although as you say it may depend on the particular lock. We have a rule, steel in first and in place (doesn't have to be secured) before we enter the lock, then we work around the known characteristics of the lock. We did this when we owned a 62 foot narrow boat and now we own a 23 foot GRP

I can see that if neither crew have been through that particular lock before "working around the known characteristics" might be problematic!

I am wary of sharing broad locks with plastic ropes or no. Ropes can't prevent all movement and aren't going to make a lot of difference in a 14' lock. Ironically they'd be more useful when there wasn't another boat in it, if you were bothered about moving about, that it.

OTOH, plastic boats are a lot tougher than people think.

This is a very important point, it takes a lot of effort to recruit, train and retain volunteers, and if CaRT try to treat them as unpaid employees or 'dogsbodies' then volunteers will vote with their feet.... I speak with some experience as a charity trustee of youth organisation that relies on volunteers - They take some managing, in many ways its much harder than employees.

in terms of insurance providing some third party liability insurance and even a basic personal injury policy I wouldn't think would cost a huge amount extra on top of what CaRT already pays anyway.

I've yet to meet a voluntary lock keeper, but if they were painting/greasing locks and gear then I'd think that was a worthwhile use as would helping boaters through locks !

I suspect the CaRT bureaucracy around issuing a tin of black paint and a paint brush would mean its more likely that a volunteer would turn up with their own !

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying, I would suggest that Volunteers should be classified as unrenumerated employees, and consequently enjoy the same legal rights and priviliges as paid staff. When I was working I managed a voluntary work force of more than 2,000 people, they all had contracts of engagement which detailed not only their duties, but also their right and entitlements.

Edited by David Schweizer

Its OK if the cruiser sits alongside the middle of the narrowboat - that way there isn't much opportunity for the NB to squash the cruiser. But I once saw a NB slew diagonally in a lock with a GRP cruiser alongside the stern. The GRP let out a pained squeal!

If any of them start issuing instructions to use centre lines in locks, they will be VERY firmly told to go away and come back when they actually have a clue about working locks.

Or you could VERY nicely explain to them your reasons for not wanting to use ropes , you can then feel good about giving good advice to someone who is only trying to be helpful to boaters , but that would be out of character for you.

• Greenie 1

Or you could VERY nicely explain to them your reasons for not wanting to use ropes , you can then feel good about giving good advice to someone who is only trying to be helpful to boaters , but that would be out of character for you.

If they wish to engage in a discussion about why I won't be using ropes, then I will gladly oblige.

However, as I said, if they presume to start issuing instructions about the use of ropes, they will be told to go away.

Yes, but to what end?

If I could see a prospect that I might reap a benefit somewhere down the line as a result of putting up with them getting it wrong now, then you might have a point.

Unfortunately there is no benefit at the end (I accept that there may be for others), so I have to put up with all this for nothing,

It's called "Live, and let live", old chap.

You seem to know so much, but you've never learnt to be tolerant.

Try it some time. It's a great cure for apoplexy.

Greenly time