google

naema sufi

Featured Posts

look out K& A users - jut heard google is on the towpath at caen flight, close your laptops, shut off the phone or be robbed of your data.

Are you real?

Please tell us exactly how a Google Streetview TRICYCLE is going to steal you data?

Slightly off topic ; I took this photo a couple of months ago or so as the Google car came down our street. The driver took exception to this and shouted "you are not allowed to do that". He then drove away before I had the opportunity to ask him why I am not allowed to photo the Google car.

med_gallery_6875_570_8801.jpg

He was pretty aggressive and drove his car almost to within a couple of feet of me. I was standing at the rear of my car.

Clearly the watchers do not like being watched!

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Slightly off topic ; I took this photo a couple of months ago or so as the Google car came down our street. The driver took exception to this and shouted "you are not allowed to do that". He then drove away before I had the opportunity to ask him why I am not allowed to photo the Google car.

He was pretty aggressive and drove his car almost to within a couple of feet of me. I was standing at the rear of my car.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? or "Who watches the watchmen?". :unsure:

look out K& A users - jut heard google is on the towpath at caen flight, close your laptops, shut off the phone or be robbed of your data.

Edited by PhilR

med_gallery_6875_570_8801.jpg

Regards

Ditchdabbler

You'll be on google earth soon stood there with your camera no doubt.

Is it such a big deal on a boat though? So they get the location of your wifi router, it not really going to help with positing a client connected to it once the boat has moved, or am I missing what they do?

Other than sensationalist stuff about the case where an employee was stealing data, what really is it that is the issue here? In reality no one is going to have an open router anyway, and even if they did it does not mean data can be stolen, just it makes it more possible, and anyone connecting to the router could do that, Google is no different in that respect.

The thing that Google does is use the GPS location of wifi routers as part of providing a location service, everyone's router at home will already be included in this anyway, if you have it visible, and on a boat that is moving what is the issue really?

Anyway the real reason for me posting again, was really that I had misunderstood the OP. I thought is was about them doing the mapping not that part of the K&A had gone live on Google maps. See link to BBC, and my streetview link

Care to expand on that?

An example;

You go into Starbucks (or anywhere else), log in to their free wifi, do you get access to their computer system?

an open wifi network doesn't give you any access to computers on that network without proper (ie secure) access permissions.

Closed Wifi only helps the phone companies.