Falling in

Circe

Featured Posts

I remember a thread round about the time I joined the forum about the definition of when a boat had sunk and when it was still sinking.

So, firmly tongue in cheek, I ask you to settle a debate between myself and the hubby. We made it to Gas Street yesterday - lots of locks and some torrential downpours. Really tired by the time we got in, and hubby's foot slipped on the gunwhale as we were bringing the boat in to tie up.

Thankfully he was holding on, so the worst of the damage was a bit of dented pride in front of an audience and a foot which went clean into the canal. The rest of him (after a bit of a lurch) ended up on the towpath.

Does this, or does this not constitute falling in?

:D

Which is slightly different to what you would find if you googled the phrase now Bizzard.!

Yes but i didn't know it was alsao American slang for buttocks, i'd have thought that would have been butty.

I once 'walked' into the canal on a holiday in Alvechurch. Coming back from evening refreshments some friends had gone ahead of us with the only torch we had but 2 of us behind were struggling to see in the dark. The friend I was with had bad eyesight anyway so I was leading him along by pulling the arm of his coat. When we reached the canal the dark patch I thought was the towpath was actual the canal and stepped straight in ( no loss of balance ) to 3 foot of water. The friend I was leading followed me straight in too and we stood in the canal side by side with water lapping around our waists with lots of bad language comng from my friends mouth.

This was when mobile phones were coming out and my friend had bought one for his work and during the holiday kept ringing people up for no apparent reason other than showing off his new wonderful device. This was attached to his trouser belt and alas made no more calls during the holiday.

So it wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Still laugh about it now when the subject comes up.

That's an interesting question! MB did exactly the same thing the first time we took Springy out with him locked inside so I could do everything myself. (We arrived at the pub and in his haste to get the hell off, his leg slipped and went in to below the knee.)

I of course was empathic and sympathetic, and didn't take the piss at all. Even when he had to go to the pub in a pair of crocs fished out from under my bed that are too big for me but still about four sizes too small for him.

Honestly.

At the time to me it was a legit falling in (moreso cos there was an audience!) and MB disagreed, but I have come around to his way of thinking now. I will save my piss taking for a time when it's really worth it. :D

Edited by Starcoaster

Been dunked lots of times sailing dinghy racing. The worst dunking was whilst racing our Fireball class, a fast trapeze boat in the Nore Thames estuary race in a powerful wind, because of this me being the heaviest was crewing, on the trapeze and beating to windward when a huge sudden gust caught us out, my pal who was helming couldn't sheet off in time, i was yanked off my feet as the boat capsized and flew through the air smashing my face into the ''hounds'' the bracket near the masthead where the stays and trapeze wire are attached. We righted the boat in a sea of blood abandoned the race and sailed back like a scalded cat to the pub ''bathing my mush with seawater on the way'' the (Halfway) on the Esplanade and drank 3 bottles of Stingo ''barley wine'' straight off.

I remember a thread round about the time I joined the forum about the definition of when a boat had sunk and when it was still sinking.

So, firmly tongue in cheek, I ask you to settle a debate between myself and the hubby. We made it to Gas Street yesterday - lots of locks and some torrential downpours. Really tired by the time we got in, and hubby's foot slipped on the gunwhale as we were bringing the boat in to tie up.

Thankfully he was holding on, so the worst of the damage was a bit of dented pride in front of an audience and a foot which went clean into the canal. The rest of him (after a bit of a lurch) ended up on the towpath.

In my book, falling in means it takes two days to get your clothes dry and two months getting the stink of canal out of them. PS i've had two such immersions the first caused by stupidity and t'other by deisel on the soles of my shoes. (which might also be termed stupidity but shucks I still have L plates.

Only counts if you have an expensive mobile phone and your cars remote key fob in your pocket...

I keep meaning to start the Dippers Club, with club tie with a mark/tie pin on it dependent upon how far submerged you were.a full sumbermersion gaining you a bow tie

Im upto bow tie status now

You'll need to offer a willy level one for those of us on the K&A, which is mostly rather shallow! :unsure:

You'll need to offer a willy level one for those of us on the K&A, which is mostly rather shallow! :unsure:

This could open up a whole 'nother debate. Where on the said appendage would the accepted datum point be?

What about women?

Mrs S managed a total immersion in the middle of Banbury 3 weeks ago - opposite Tooleys, whilst boarding the boat clutching 4 shopping bags. I was surprised (and obviously concerned) when she disappeared completely - I later measured the depth at 5 ft 6ins. She surfaced - still grimly hanging onto the shopping bags.

Surprisingly, her phone and watch still worked after drying, and the only unsalvagable part of the shopping was some bakery stuff.

She had grazed the back of her head slightly - on the concrete edge we think - but was otherwise ok.