plonker

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Once your bow fender is lower than any part of the bottom gate it could potentially get caught on, that is.

Don't use a bow fender going downhill, suppose I should have mentioned that.

Isn't everywhere downhill from Birmingham?

And other than by boat, I thought it was always 'up' to London. Reflects its importance, don't you know.

Edited by Chertsey

Quite correct. Northeners always go Down to London, Southerners (south of London) go up to London Some misguided people north of London (Tring for instance)however consider that they go up to London when not only are they are going south, but downhill also! :D

The one that always gets me was the wag at Stoke Breurne telling all that two boats in a lock saved water because they displaced twice as much water so not so much water would be lost to the next pound. I tried correcting him but was simply laughed at and humiliated as he reeled off correct but irrelevent details on water displacement with which all his audience agreed.

Edited to add : - (For those that have not sussed this; the water that is emptied into the pound is from underneath the bottom of the boat'(s) which remains the same volume regardless of how many boats are in the lock)

Hmm,

So, if a lock contained 1,000 tonnes of water when empty of boat

would it contain the same amount of water holding a 25 tonne boat, as when it held a 300 tonne boat?

I think not

If we really are going to set this old chestnut going again, can I suggest that people first research Previous Thread that previously ran for a very long while on this topic:

WARNING: Thread contains over 600 posts, many of them long, so please allocate yourself some time!

(And, as an aside, whatever happened to Natalie Graham ? In my view often one of the most interesting posters CWDF ever had......)

My dad was full of these old sayings. Up North, down South, up the road, down the road, round the corner, over the shops, down the shops, over the park, down the garden, down the shed, over the road, round the bend. ect ect. :mellow:

Don't use a bow fender going downhill, suppose I should have mentioned that.

Isn't everywhere downhill from Birmingham?

And other than by boat, I thought it was always 'up' to London. Reflects its importance, don't you know.

no birmingham is downhill from everywhere :rolleyes:

coat...

My dad was full of these old sayings. Up North, down South, up the road, down the road, round the corner, over the shops, down the shops, over the park, down the garden, down the shed, over the road, round the bend. ect ect. :mellow:

I know wot you mean , my lovelly grandmothers favorite was " well i'll go to the bottom of our stairs" , rather than "really ?" Funny thing was she allways lived in a bunglelow :)

How did this chap end up with a cilling with the top gates open? Short upper pound and very leaky bottom gates, perhaps?

Nick

Yes IIRC that was the story that the pound was a bit low and he got hung up on the cill entering the lock and then either the bottom gates leaked very badly or failed in some way.

in fact just found the details here:

http://waterwaynews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/huddersfield-stoppage-as-boat-sinks.html

Here in Glos we go down (to London). You would of course go up. Maybe I should look at a map ...

It's a north-south thing instinctively, to me anyway :rolleyes:

On the Great Western

Richard

And on the railways everything is UP to London!!

Mind you it does get confusing in some places!!

Edited by Graham Davis

Ah! so a deep drafted boat uses less water when going through a lock because there is less water under it. ;)

Hmm,

So, if a lock contained 1,000 tonnes of water when empty of boat

would it contain the same amount of water holding a 25 tonne boat, as when it held a 300 tonne boat?

I think not

Think about it a little longer. Unless the boat is to sit on the bottom, like in a dry dock, enough water must remain to keep the boats afloat. Regardless of tonnage and resultant displacement or the total amound of water in the lock, the volume of water necessary to lower (or raise) the boats to the next level remains the same.

As somebody has already said there has been a very long thread on this subject. Which I have no intention of reading.

On similar lines another plonker wanted to stop me going on an aqueduct as there was a couple of boats crossing already and the aqueduct may not take the weight of another boat!

And can you explain how us people in the west get to London? Sideways perhaps?

Ah! if you Go East or Go West of course you miss London and either end up in the Orient or the USA!:lol:

Can't use " Go sideways" 'cos from my early seafaring days that was a slang term for those going mental and becoming suicidal, but then again, if you actually wanted to go to London.........????:D

Think about it a little longer. Unless the boat is to sit on the bottom, like in a dry dock, enough water must remain to keep the boats afloat. Regardless of tonnage and resultant displacement or the total amound of water in the lock, the volume of water necessary to lower (or raise) the boats to the next level remains the same.

As somebody has already said there has been a very long thread on this subject. Which I have no intention of reading.

On similar lines another plonker wanted to stop me going on an aqueduct as there was a couple of boats crossing already and the aqueduct may not take the weight of another boat!

Yes, Ploker out of order 'cause your boat displaces its own weight of water so no extra stress on the aqueduct, unlike a road bridge that has to take all, So more tons in the lock= more displacement= less water in lock.

A boat will float just as well with a couple of inches under its hull as it will in the big blue if the water is deep enough (even if only just) take the draught.?

:smiley_offtopic: But related, I have just chopped a tree DOWN in my garden, now i am going to chop it UP !

Back on topic, my wife was operating the lift bridge DOWN near the Aspley Basin. After I passed underneath and she lowwered the bridge, one of the waiting motorist stopped on her way over the bridge,wound DOWN her window and told my wife she had no right messing about with the bridge. My wife replied that we had a key (shown) and without lifting the bridge, how would we get our boat to the other side? She wound her window UP and drove on, off, whatever! :blink:

Nuff said :cheers:

Yes, Ploker out of order 'cause your boat displaces its own weight of water so no extra stress on the aqueduct, unlike a road bridge that has to take all, So more tons in the lock= more displacement= less water in lock.

<snip>

I thought we had determined that a moving boat reduces the stress on an aqueduct ages ago

Richard

Edited by RLWP

what did the Romans ever do for us?

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

what did the Romans ever do for us?

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Errrrr....... :unsure:

A Monty Python sketch? :cheers: