what is this?

NickF

Featured Posts

I have just done the L and L and noticed in a couple of places a 4" high pieces of black metal supported by three or four little white bollards. I saw one just after a swing bridge and one just on the bank no where near a lock or a bridge. Does any one know what they are ... did they have some use in the commercial carrying days?

DSC01292.jpg

I have just done the L and L and noticed in a couple of places a 4" high pieces of black metal supported by three or four little white bollards. I saw one just after a swing bridge and one just on the bank no where near a lock or a bridge. Does any one know what they are ... did they have some use in the commercial carrying days?

DSC01292.jpg

If the top edge is sharp it could be a bread slicer. :closedeyes:

Is it for grinding your skateboard along?

Richard

The only practical use I can imagine is to discourage you from driving mooring spikes behind the concrete coping, which by the look of that one would inevitably pull it away from the bank over time. It does look a bit of a hazard in other ways, & I'm quite sure there was nothing like that last time I was on the Leeds & Liverpool (40 years ago!)

Tim

but knew better than to ask on here!

Why?

Somebody will be along at some stage who knows the answer but if it wasn't for the humorous suggestions it may well have fallen off the front page into obscurity by now.

More entertaining than "I don't know" or, even worse "bump!".

The only practical use I can imagine is to discourage you from driving mooring spikes behind the concrete coping, which by the look of that one would inevitably pull it away from the bank over time. It does look a bit of a hazard in other ways, & I'm quite sure there was nothing like that last time I was on the Leeds & Liverpool (40 years ago!)

Tim

Those finials look just about deep enough to tie off on, though, so no need for spikes.

I've found some of the previous suggestions most amusing . .

But, for the record - the bar is there to prevent minor landslip(s) - - - It is part of BW's 'prevention policy' (a sub-section of their H&S roll-out - which includes square bollards, and safety fences on lock-gates)

... and safety rails on foot bridges on the S&W. We saw one at Wightwick, someone had attached a notice saying "200 years without a rail".

On the other hand SWMBO felt safer with the rails there.

It's a boot scraper - a recently introduced addition to the towpath because of (a) the increase in dog owners not cleaning up and (B) the increase in mud because of the rains. C&RT's trying to help boat owners in their efforts to have spotlessly clean boats inside and out.

If it's any comfort to you, Nick, I saw that very structure the other day and wondered the same thing, but knew better than to ask on here! :wacko: FWIW, Tims's is the only sensible suggestion as far as I can see.

May be I should have known better than to ask here but every reply has made me smile so it can't be that bad!

Nick

May be I should have known better than to ask here but every reply has made me smile so it can't be that bad!

Nick

Nick, I'm very surprised that the proper answer hasn't turned up yet. Have you got any more pictures?

I want to know what it is now :(

Richard

Nick, I'm very surprised that the proper answer hasn't turned up yet. Have you got any more pictures?

I want to know what it is now :(

Richard

No I haven't Richard, The first one I saw I nearly tripped over while trying to get back on the boat after a swing bridge so no time for photography. The second one I saw is the picture I have posted which was taken on my phone while steering hence it's not lined up too well. I can't even quite remember where they were except I think it is somewhere between Skipton and Blackburn! (not very precise I know). I am surprised a sensible answer hasn't turned up yet but I am enjoying all the other suggestions!

Nick

Yes the marks are weld fixings ... they look like a later addition ... I am sure the first one I saw did not have those but was entirely supported by the little white bollards.

Nick

No I haven't Richard, The first one I saw I nearly tripped over while trying to get back on the boat after a swing bridge so no time for photography. The second one I saw is the picture I have posted which was taken on my phone while steering hence it's not lined up too well. I can't even quite remember where they were except I think it is somewhere between Skipton and Blackburn! (not very precise I know). I am surprised a sensible answer hasn't turned up yet but I am enjoying all the other suggestions!

Nick

I would like to know as well.