Riveted boats

Liam

Featured Posts

Just browsing through Apollo Duck and came across interesting advert...

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=259601

No affiliation, etc.

Mentioned on here before by Steamraiser, who has some connection.

Up to now, they seem to be bolted, not many rivets yet in the pics.

I do appreciate that it's the preparation that takes the time, actually setting the rivets is relatively quick.

Tim

At last the stick on rivet is dead !!

How much this boat will cost is what we want to know, i think i might have a spastic bowel when i find out!

They used to punch all the holes for rivetting, ( mag ) drilling must be hard work ?

All of the main sheets have the holes laser cut

At last the stick on rivet is dead !!

How much this boat will cost is what we want to know, i think i might have a spastic bowel when i find out!

They used to punch all the holes for rivetting, ( mag ) drilling must be hard work ?

It's OK if you do it with the plates flat on the ground/trestles. Hard work if you're doing it in situ, especially as 6mm plate is below the thickness where you can safely assume that an average mag drill will hold reliably.

Tim

Of course it is, that was not my point.

Tim

Sorry, I read your comment as if it was, I now see it wasn't - didn't meant to make it sound I was trying to teach you to suck eggs.

Interesting as you rightly pointed out, that there are no photo's of pieces held together with rivets!

Sorry, I read your comment as if it was, I now see it wasn't - didn't meant to make it sound I was trying to teach you to suck eggs.

Interesting as you rightly pointed out, that there are no photo's of pieces held together with rivets!

Bolts mean you can take it to bits and move the parts to boat shows more easily.

I also think that the stern post forging (?) has not yet had a stern tube hole cut. I would expect that to be a difficult piece of machining if done in situ, so perhaps the stern post will have to be removed and machined before re-fitment. Much easier with bolts.

Nor are there pictures of the double curved bits at the stem and stern. I suspect that these will have to be fabricated up from planks (like the washer joshers) and then nailed to the rest of the boat. Could be interesting rivet(t)ing the guards on closely enough to not get water traps behind them.

None of these things of course are problems for a first off where the need is as much to learn how to do it as to build a boat.

More importantly, what do we call these boats, if it catches on? Clonecraft has been taken, Ideas please.

N

Bolts mean you can take it to bits and move the parts to boat shows more easily.

I also think that the stern post forging (?) has not yet had a stern tube hole cut. I would expect that to be a difficult piece of machining if done in situ, so perhaps the stern post will have to be removed and machined before re-fitment. Much easier with bolts.

As said, bolting is the norm for setting up before rivetting. I applaud the initiative, but if I were interested in buying such a craft I would really seriously want a better indication of how it'll look when finished.

Tim

I would probably hope that a company making and selling rivetted boats could spell "Rivetted" correctly in their company name - unless they are Yanks, that is.

More seriously, have they produced a finished craft yet? I would like to have a look at one.

I would probably hope that a company making and selling rivetted boats could spell "Rivetted" correctly in their company name - unless they are Yanks, that is.

You may have fallen into a trap that has alreasdy been discussed in a previous thread, though..............

Call me old-fashioned, but I have always rivetted

I'm not American

Richard

Sorry to be pedantic, but 'riveted' is the correct English usage.

The rule is that you only double consonants if the stress is on the last syllable.

Hence:

benefit gives benefited not benefitted

visit gives visited not visitted

compare:

permit which forms permitted not permited.

The only exception I can think of is "parallelled" - which is the usual English spelling.

Edited by alan_fincher

No trap here, Mr. F., unless KKV's grasp of English is "unrivaled".

Just ignore him, he wouldn't know a dolly from a snap

Richard

Or you could try looking it up!.....

OED not good enough for you lot ?

rivet Pronunciation: /ˈrɪvɪt/

Translate rivet into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish

Definition of rivet

noun

a short metal pin or bolt for holding together two plates of metal, its headless end being beaten out or pressed down when in place: a rectangular plate containing an iron rivet [as modifier]: a device for punching rivet holes

a rivet-like device for holding seams of clothing together.

verb (rivets, riveting, riveted)

[with object]

1join or fasten (plates of metal) with a rivet or rivets: the linings are bonded, not riveted, to the brake shoes for longer wear (as adjective riveted) the riveted plates of the floor

2fix (someone or something) so as to make them incapable of movement: the grip on her arm was firm enough to rivet her to the spot

attract and completely engross (someone): he was riveted by the newsreels shown on television

direct (one’s eyes or attention) intently: all eyes were riveted on him

Given his background Jim, "KKV", is not someone I would ever choose to argue with on points of spelling or grammar!

Edited by alan_fincher

Or you could try looking it up!.....

OED not good enough for you lot ?

No, not really

Would you rather take the academic definition, or the word used in the craft?

Richard

I assume these boats are usually cold riveted?

No, always hot rivetted. You'd never get a decent head on a cold rivet that size, and a hot rivet draws the plates up tight as it cools

Richard

No, not really

Would you rather take the academic definition, or the word used in the craft?

Richard

I don't actually care which is used, but I'm surprised that people keep saying the version that appears in most English dictionaries is an Americanism. I don't think it is.

I find many engineers can't spell anyway, which may of course explain the anomaly! :tounge_firmly_in_cheek:

As said, bolting is the norm for setting up before rivetting. I applaud the initiative, but if I were interested in buying such a craft I would really seriously want a better indication of how it'll look when finished.

It does seem a bit strange (to me) to be pushing it before you can actually get much impression of what you might be buying.

Do they plan to make replicas of "proper" rivet(t)ed boats, though ? :lol: