Totally new

barryjlambe

Featured Posts

Help please. Totally new to canals. Me and 2 adult sons, one is skipper on a private 63m m.y. I live in Berkshire, we propose a 4 day narrow boat holiday early oct. Hire obviously. Don't mind a long drive to a good start place. Want to have locks , a lazy break not needed. So , please advise a good route for just 4 days. Do fancy going thro towns and locks . Lovely scenery would be a bonus. Many thanks, Barry

Help please. Totally new to canals. Me and 2 adult sons, one is skipper on a private 63m m.y. I live in Berkshire, we propose a 4 day narrow boat holiday early oct. Hire obviously. Don't mind a long drive to a good start place. Want to have locks , a lazy break not needed. So , please advise a good route for just 4 days. Do fancy going thro towns and locks . Lovely scenery would be a bonus. Many thanks, Barry

Can't beat the LLangollen.

I appreciate you don't mind a drive, but give some thought to the South Oxford which is not far away either. Two main centres are Oxford (no surprises there) and Banbury. Good scenery and the option of making a small loop onto the Thames at the southern end.

I appreciate you don't mind a drive, but give some thought to the South Oxford which is not far away either. Two main centres are Oxford (no surprises there) and Banbury. Good scenery and the option of making a small loop onto the Thames at the southern end.

Second that - for a first thought. Not very challenging. Oxfordshire NBs first choice. College Cruisers second.

Difficult to do much in four days

Could you do a mini Warwickshire ring in 4 days - well a Birmingham ring - Alvechurch to Black Country Museum (no locks) back via B&F, GU and North Stratford. Good mix of the good and bad urban bits, lots of locks and a good chunk of seemingly rural canal.

OR if a narrow canal is too claustrophobic, the Thames is good fun, cover the ground quickly and all those horrible LWBs (Large White Boats) will have gone to bed for the winter - so will the lockies.....

From skipton on leeds/Liverpool

either west might get as far as the foulridge tunnel and back or east and do the bingley 5 rise (if you want locks they don't come much more spectacular)

Skipton is a lovely start/finish point too.

How about the Staffs & Worcs canal. Hire from Napton Narrowboats at Autherly junction, Wolverhampton. If you head South, it's all mainly rural but there are locks at regular intervals and you may have to work out how to get through the Bratch locks on your own at that time of year as the lock keeper is only there in the season.

One tip, as a narrowboat is longer than the canal is wide, you need to find a winding point when you need to turn the boat around and head back to base. Don't forget to carry a canal guide that shows where the winding points are, for whichever canal you choose. I've seen a few hire boats on short term hire screwing up their cruise schedule as they either missed a winding hole or didn't realise they needed to cruise for another two hours before they could turn the boat.

If you don't want to drive too far, then I suggest Kennet & Avon Canal - Bradford on Avon to Bath and back. Just right for 4 days.

Or come down to the River Wey (when not in flood as it is today :) ). Godalming up to Weybridge and back is a good 4 days and very pretty.

Jo.

Rochdale canal from Sowerby Bridge with Shire Cruisers if you want a lot of locks.

Skip that one with the weather as it is. Doubt Nigel be happy if he knew you'd taken one of his boats towards Hebden Bridge.

Slight difference between a sewer tube and a 63m m.y. :huh:

Yeah, and as a proffesional he will already realise his type of experience is of know use to him whatsoever :lol:

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Look at latelink,if you want a better deal and not too bothered where you go, also they give you the options of where you can go in your time scale.THAT WAY YOU DO HAVE CHOICES BETWEEN COST AND WHERE FROM, AND BOAT SIZE.