New BBC DG was in charge of Jubilee fiasco

George94

Featured Posts

"Yes, so anyway," he resumed, "the idea was that into the first ship, the 'A' ship, would go all the brilliant leaders, the scientists, the great artists, you know, all the achievers; and into the third, or 'C' ship, would go all the people who did the actual work, who made things and did things, and then into the `B' ship - that's us - would go everyone else, the middlemen you see."

i guess this means that the new DG is aware of what the majority of people want to watch.

Problem is that sadly this is things like "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" or "East Enders".

If you based TV solely on "what the majority of people want to watch", something like BBC4, which doesn't attract the same viewing figures, would be quickly canned.

That would be a shame, as if I do watch TV, it is very likely to be BBC4, (or that type of program on another channel), rather than "Eurovision" or"Celebrity Master Chef" type stuff.

Presumably the editor of the Sun is well aware of what sells that paper - that in itself does not make it great journalism.

EDITED TO ADD:

Does this also make "Victor" right for his role, because clearly his site produces the kind of stuff that most of his readership seem to lap up and endorse. Factual accuracy unimportance, as long as it is entertaining ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Problem is that sadly this is things like "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" or "East Enders".

If you based TV solely on "what the majority of people want to watch", something like BBC4, which doesn't attract the same viewing figures, would be quickly canned.

That would be a shame, as if I do watch TV, it is very likely to be BBC4, (or that type of program on another channel), rather than "Eurovision" or"Celebrity Master Chef" type stuff.

Presumably the editor of the Sun is well aware of what sells that paper - that in itself does not make it great journalism.

EDITED TO ADD:

Does this also make "Victor" right for his role, because clearly his site produces the kind of stuff that most of his readership seem to lap up and endorse. Factual accuracy unimportance, as long as it is entertaining ?

Alan I do not disagree BBC4 and BBC2 have some great programs. As a Public Broadcaster The BBC do have a duty to the majority.

Alan I do not disagree BBC4 and BBC2 have some great programs. As a Public Broadcaster The BBC do have a duty to the majority.

Actually, as a public broadcaster, the BBC has a far greater duty to the minority.

Commercial operations can, will and do supply ample dross for the majority. The whole point of having a public broadcaster is that things will be broadcast that aren't viable commercially.

• Greenie 1

i guess this means that the new DG is aware of what the majority of people want to watch.

Judging by the number of complaints about the jubilee coverage, it probably isn't that. Hopefully he will have learnt a lesson from that - and will remember that the role of the BBC is to inform as well as entertain.

You truly wont realise that in this case you are in the minority not only on this site but amongst the wider boating population will you?.....I guess youre quite happy with bubblegum TV and celebrity mags then...

:blink:

It must be a lovely bubble to live in!

Gareth

You truly wont realise that in this case you are in the minority not only on this site but amongst the wider boating population will you?.....I guess youre quite happy with bubblegum TV and celebrity mags then...

Gareth

So let me get this right you are saying the a huge majority thought the specific coverage of the river pageant was so disgusting that the guy responsible for it should at the very least be fired and certainly on no account hold any type of high office. As everything that is not a serious coverage is just pap and bubble gum tv.

I agree with you I suspect many many millions wrote in and complained and certainly switched off definately the vast majority of the audience. Unfortunately most of the non boating people i know just thought it was a dull and were not really interested regardless of the weather and highlights. Yes for those with an interest it was poor but I would imagine the rest of the world has moved on and perhaps we should too.

Let's get a production company interested in he Braunston show or similar

Edited by Tuscan

Gareth

Firstly are you saying that over 5,150,000 complained (viewing figure 10.3 million)

The bubble I live in respects the fact that not everyone will like a specific programme on TV but life is to short to worry about it. Now if I had my my way BBC TV would be all about documentaries, classical music, opera etc but hey I am in the minority so I just do not bother to watch it very much.

Firstly are you saying that over 5,150,000 complained (viewing figure 10.3 million)

The bubble I live in respects the fact that not everyone will like a specific programme on TV but life is to short to worry about it. Now if I had my my way BBC TV would be all about documentaries, classical music, opera etc but hey I am in the minority so I just do not bother to watch it very much.

I thought it was a documentary about our Queen attending a pagent of an awful lot of boat, lots of them with a unique history of rescuing people from Dunkurk and sailing the seven seas under canvas or carrying freight on the inland waterways as well as modern craft. Maybe I got it wrong.

Edited by ditchcrawler

It's all in the title.

Beggars belief in my view. Perhaps a parallel universe really does exist, peopled by bankers and broadcasters.

:tired: Blimey I am so glad somebody has brought this topic up, its not been mentioned before. Cast him to the Lions I say. At least a ten year prison sentence is worthy :rolleyes:

Tim

The reason I am concerned by this appointment is that it demonstrates clearly that the BBC have abandoned two of it's three aims - that they should educate and inform, as well as entertain.

Furthermore, their idea of entertainment is whatever appeals to the most stupid people on the planet. As somebody else pointed out, there are plenty of commercial channels ready to test to destruction Barnum's dictum that nobody ever went broke under-estimating the public taste. The BBC should be aiming higher.

It's a tribute to the quality of the people on this forum that only two felt that the Jubilee programme was acceptable. One of them deludes himself that anybody who didn't actually write in to complain must therefore be deemed to have been happy.

With that sort of logic, he should probably be a BBC spokesman.

It's a tribute to the quality of the people on this forum that only two felt that the Jubilee programme was acceptable. One of them deludes himself that anybody who didn't actually write in to complain must therefore be deemed to have been happy.

Maybe you should also try and get a life. What did you think of "The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part 1" last night? Having been to see Henry IV in Liverpool in April done by The Globe Theater Company I thought the BBC version was very good. Unfortunately it most probably only attracted about 2m viewers compared to the over 10m that watched the Pageant. Oh on BBC4 tonight is a history of "Bell Ringers"............. can't wait!!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

The reason I am concerned by this appointment is that it demonstrates clearly that the BBC have abandoned two of it's three aims - that they should educate and inform, as well as entertain.

Furthermore, their idea of entertainment is whatever appeals to the most stupid people on the planet. As somebody else pointed out, there are plenty of commercial channels ready to test to destruction Barnum's dictum that nobody ever went broke under-estimating the public taste. The BBC should be aiming higher.

I think you have destroyed your own argument quite succinctly here. As your are so much better than all the stupid people that you talk down to in such a patronising way and obviously know what is better for all of us I suggest it might just be you who needs to look in the mirror. The pageant was poorly handled by the BBC and CNN however I understand your point is much wider now and that as a direct result of this one aspect of the Jubilee broadcast the entire management should be disbanded and a new totalatarian hierarchy installed who focuss on programmes for the intellegencia. After all us stupid people don't need any entertainment or should look elsewhere. Are you by chance a banker ??

Of course you're conveniently ignoring the fact that George Entwistle has been editor of Newsnight, launched The Culture Show, brought Mad Men to BBC4, and has been in charge of arts, history and business programmes, as well as current affairs and documentaries. All in all, just the sort of person I'd have expected you to like being in charge. Unless you think that one slip is enough to wipe out decades of good work.

Rewards for failure innit. It's the Steve McClaren culture. Some people get paid millions for doing nothing or failing at their jobs, while people at the other end of the income spectrum who do a good job, can't even get another 50p/hour.

Edited by blackrose

Maybe you should also try and get a life. What did you think of "The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part 1" last night? Having been to see Henry IV in Liverpool in April done by The Globe Theater Company I thought the BBC version was very good. Unfortunately it most probably only attracted about 2m viewers compared to the over 10m that watched the Pageant. Oh on BBC4 tonight is a history of "Bell Ringers"............. can't wait!!!!

You have made more posts on this topic than anybody else, and then you have the gall to suggest that it is ME who should get a life! Good grief.

And you can drop all these cultural references (theatre, opera, blah, blah). We're not impressed. We know what you really like.

Of course you're conveniently ignoring the fact that George Entwistle has been editor of Newsnight, launched The Culture Show, brought Mad Men to BBC4, and has been in charge of arts, history and business programmes, as well as current affairs and documentaries. All in all, just the sort of person I'd have expected you to like being in charge. Unless you think that one slip is enough to wipe out decades of good work.

I have to say that I am encouraged to hear it. The problem is that the BBC appears to believe that the only criterion by which it should be judged is audience figures, so I fear we will get more Pageants and fewer Culture Shows.

And I am not sure you can describe the pageant coverage as a slip. It was completely deliberate, and demonstrated the sort of contempt for viewers that Tuscan accuses me of having.

I think you have destroyed your own argument quite succinctly here. As your are so much better than all the stupid people that you talk down to in such a patronising way and obviously know what is better for all of us I suggest it might just be you who needs to look in the mirror. The pageant was poorly handled by the BBC and CNN however I understand your point is much wider now and that as a direct result of this one aspect of the Jubilee broadcast the entire management should be disbanded and a new totalatarian hierarchy installed who focuss on programmes for the intellegencia. After all us stupid people don't need any entertainment or should look elsewhere. Are you by chance a banker ??

Tuscan, you have gone further than I did, but perhaps you are right. Indeed, I am coming round to the view that it might be best to privatise the whole of BBC television and leave Radios 3 and 4 as a subscription service, with the World Service paid for by government.

Incidentally, if you are a fan of these programmes, then obviously they work for you. I am not suggesting you shouldn't watch them; just that the BBC should find something better to do with the licence fee. People like the lovely Mr Murdoch are happy to take your shilling and give you whatever you want.