What has it got in its pocketses?

AidanLincs

Featured Posts

I find it odd that no-one else has mentioned this, as I'm sure I'm not alone, but when single handing on long cruises I have an empty plastic pint glass handy behind the rear coaming (the joys of the semi-trad stern).

Is that too much information? :blush:

No, but it may prove to be too little capacity.

Which sort of reminds me, I always keep a bottle of still mineral water to hand, and (surprised no one has mentioned this) the centre rope.

Yes coz it don't help us lasses who single hand. I moor up to use the toilet!

You need to get some back copies of Dixon of Dock Green. Watch and study the "evening, all" action. Once mastered, you should have no trouble.

Am I doing it again?

I find it odd that no-one else has mentioned this, as I'm sure I'm not alone, but when single handing on long cruises I have an empty plastic pint glass handy behind the rear coaming (the joys of the semi-trad stern).

Is that too much information? :blush:

What's wrong with going off the back in lock chambers?

Richard

Carlt, I was intrigued by your mention of 'Jetboil'. I just had to investigate further and it looks like a superb piece of kit. Ideal for brewing on the move when its to hot for the boatmans stove. What model do you have?.

Mal

What model do you have?.

Mal

Err...a blue one?

I think it probably dates back to when there was only one model.

It boils water incredibly quickly, works in windy conditions and you can drink straight from the container (if you want to) and I have two different containers, one for water and one for food.

and (surprised no one has mentioned this) the centre rope.

good point yes (and we have two!)

Presume Martin this is because of roof obstructions that make it difficult to flick the centre line from side to side ?

After taking the plunge off a Canadian Canoe I limit what I have in my pockets nowadays! , But have to hand usually camera , phone , again Nicholsons if not local , BW key will be in pocket if wearing a coat or hanging in Cockpit if not. Maybe as the afternoon draws into the evening a beer (But not if out on my own).

One of the benefits of being on the river in a smaller boat with the cooker by the cabin door is that you can make a brew without getting into too much trouble ! - Been offered tea at a lock hen S/H by NB's only for them to ask 'When did you make that then???' reply - well you know that wide bit of river back there ......

Presume Martin this is because of roof obstructions that make it difficult to flick the centre line from side to side ?

That of course is the theory - however the one on the starboard side still has an annoying habit of getting caught under either, the boat hook, the pole or the plank - but only when it's needed very very quickly obviously... :rolleyes:

centreline

then, unless it's just a short trip

coffee (am), tea (cold pm), beer (warm pm)

tobacco & papers

lighter

flask of coffee/tea/another beer

camera

phone

binoculars

nicholsons/pearsons

biro

sarnie or smack

gloves

spare gloves

spare lighter

radio

ipod & line to connect to radio

tin with some pre-rolled

waterproof

warm coat

summer:

sun cream

hat

winter:

hand warming pads

warm hat

more spare gloves

Some of which stays in the engine cabin - i hung a car-tidy thing in there to keep it all neatly. he rest gets chucked in a plastic basket that gets carried from the kitchen to the stern just before setting off

Orson's standard book of British beards.

Mobile internet device to check licences.

Signed picture of Victor.

Bottle of meths

Shurely you omit:

Speed gun - so that the volume of a bellowed "slow down" can be adjusted correctly.