Single Handing through locks

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We are planning to take our boat from Fazeley to Aqueduct Marina on the Middlewich Branch for gritblasting and 2-pac blacking in late August. It looks like about 4 reasonably busy days to me - via Gt Haywood, Harecastle, Heartbreak Hill etc on the T&M. Currently it is looking like I may have to do this trip by myself. I have never taken the boat through lock flights single-handed and whilst I am sure I can do it, I have no concept about how much slower it is than when one has a good crew. Any thoughts please?

We are planning to take our boat from Fazeley to Aqueduct Marina on the Middlewich Branch for gritblasting and 2-pac blacking in late August. It looks like about 4 reasonably busy days to me - via Gt Haywood, Harecastle, Heartbreak Hill etc on the T&M. Currently it is looking like I may have to do this trip by myself. I have never taken the boat through lock flights single-handed and whilst I am sure I can do it, I have no concept about how much slower it is than when one has a good crew. Any thoughts please?

The actual process of locking up or down will take a little more time but I found that, with practice and having developed an efficient method of working, the difference is not significant on narrow locks. On wide locks I usually just open the gates and paddles on one side to save walking round and I haul the boat in and out with the centre line - this does take longer than working with an efficient tem of lock-wheelers and if planning a single handed journey through double locks I allow at least 50% more time (about 20 minutes altogether) for each lock.

I did a lot of boating single handed when i owned a 72' ex working boat back in the late 1990's. at that time heartbreak hill was apparently around 2 1/2 hours with a good crew, i remember it taking me just over 4 1/2.... that was single handed with no other boat traffic.

I would like to think as busy as the system has become you will get a lot of very welcome help on your journey, especially through the wide locks on the T+M if you manage to find a crewed up boat to lock through with, personally going on my more recent longer journeys, i would say allow 30% more time than nicholsons says and 50% if there is a lot of traffic.

Hope you have a good trip when it happens,

Rick

It depends.

When you first do it you will be much slower (held up even more by letting crewed boats go ahead an them not returning the favour by resetting the lock.

After doing it for a few years and finding your own rhythm you will be asking if you can overtake crewed boats.

Bristol docks to Sawley mariner, on my own single handed, never been at the helm of a narrow boat before, 18 days, steep learning curve sure, but yes take your time try not to get flusted, oh i was in a sail away with no running water, heating, cooking faciltys or barhroom, god was i happy to get home for a shower. do not listien to the na sayers ! i did Brtistol deep lock on my own the first dayat about 7,30pm scary, but quite educational.now do not get me wrong, it was not plain sailing, i fell in the cut several times, allways late at night when i was tired, but im geussing you have more experience than mw and would not be trying to moore up, on your own after a 12 hour day !! i also found i was better doing locks on my own as i was in complete control of the situation, as aposed to someone helping when i would not be sure what they were doing, ie opening or no not as the case may be ground paddles !

Edited by micky44

Bristol deep lock? ;)

Or Bath?

Singlehanding is easy, with a bit of practice. Take your time, don't rush, and most importantly, keep your eye on the boat at all times. Don't be tempted to go and set the next lock whilst the boat is going up or down. Wait untill the boat is either up or down, then set the next lock, then you can move out of one lock, straight into the next one, without mooring up inbetween.

You will get fit.... :lol:

Edited by luctor et emergo

yes you are 100 % correct Bath deep lock, sorry !

Bath deep lock was not nice, and i was really surprised when i cam off the thames on to the Oxford canal, i think it was dukes cut, the lock was about 2 foot rise, it was such a surprise, easy peasey, but as i got nearer to home i encounterd stenson lock, again on my own, what a abouslute bastard lock.

Edited by micky44

After doing it for a few years and finding your own rhythm you will be asking if you can overtake crewed boats.

Is it really going to take a few years to get to Aqueduct? I was hoping it might only be 4 or 5 days.

Thanks everyone, I may still have a crew but if not I am sure it will be fun after the 1st few. The 1st few of course being Fradley where maybe there will be some friendly volunteers to help me! Fortunately there are no double locks on the trip.

The locks on the T & M are very *user friendly* for single-handers. If you normally have a good crew of 2 or 3, I would suggest doubling the time through locks when single-handing. I can thoroughly recommend the experience - it is a great way of improving boating skills. Have a great journey.

Being a noob and singlehanded I am still learning, but have found that going up or going down, take your centre line with you, going down to keep the blunt end off the cill and to pull boat away from gates in order to open them and going up I have the boat in gear to push pointy end against the gates to stop it drifting back and then rushing forward at warp speed, when lock almost full just knock it out of gear. Closing gates behind you is fun, I tend to just drift just beyond gates, put into reverse to stop, then close gates and hope boat has not drifted too far, have used boat hook to pull gates closed, but only a few times as you can't do them all. If you can see daylight between lock gates as you approach them, and no water running out, try to very gently push them apart, save lots of time parking. Have good boots/shoes in order to get up and down ladders and invest in a windlass holder, and don't let others rush you.

Bath deep lock was not nice, and i was really surprised when i cam off the thames on to the Oxford canal, i think it was dukes cut, the lock was about 2 foot rise, it was such a surprise, easy peasey, but as i got nearer to home i encounterd stenson lock, again on my own, what a abouslute bastard lock.

I will endorse that. Stenson is a bugger

Bath deep lock has a knack to it. I do it single handed regularly now. Open the paddle on the side where the boat is, a fair bit, but not to much. The three outlets at the bottom will then go under the boat, and back of the opposite wall, and pin the boat against the wall. I know, standard stuff.. :rolleyes: but..

A 19 foot drop, adds tremendous power to the water. If you don't open the paddles enough, the water will not go u der the boat, but between your boat and the wall, and push your boat across. Violently :wacko: . Closing the hydrolic paddle will be to slow, and bang. Open them to quick, and you will introduce your boat to white water rafting.... :lol::help:

If you want to entertain the gongoozelers (or put the fear of god into awaiting group of hirers/first timers), when you fill the lock to go down, wack the paddle on the towpath up a quick as possible. The sigth of the three haevy manhole covers dancing ( I've seen them a foot clear of the ground :wacko: ) is rather un-nerving.

Mind you, being in the bottom of the lock, and have your crew whack both paddles up, makes for an interesting 5 minutes.....

(Patrick, do let me know when you need a hand up the flight.. :boat: )

Single-handing up the Cheshire Locks on the T&M, I managed to catch up and overtake a couple through one of the paired locks.

So in answer to your question - it depends smile.gif

i guess it is what you are used to. I have single handed for 5 years and find I can get through locks quicker when i do it myself then when I have help. Having said that I am always grateful for any help and unlike a certain David I long for the day when there is a volunteer on every lock and even better on every swing bridge on The Leeds and Liverpool.

Edited by cotswoldsman

My favourite trick, when there is aan audience at the Deep Lock, and I can see that the lock is empty, but with the gates shut, is to gently rest the bow against the gates, in tickover. Then, gently up the revs just a little, with the speedwheel in the cabin, stand back, and spread my arms and command the gates to open. The look on some faces, when the gates magically open..

My favourite trick, when there is aan audience at the Deep Lock, and I can see that the lock is empty, but with the gates shut, is to gently rest the bow against the gates, in tickover. Then, gently up the revs just a little, with the speedwheel in the cabin, stand back, and spread my arms and command the gates to open. The look on some faces, when the gates magically open..

Ah bit like when I go up a single lock leave the boat in tick over and then when the lock is full the boat opens the gate while I wait at the gate, when the back of the boat reaches the gate I put it into reverse and close the gate and the boat eventually comes back to me. (hope all that makes sense)

Go for a little return trip thru some with your crew but get them to leave you to it solo. Get the swing of it while you have emergency help if you need it. Try set up a rhythm.

Single handing i think i'm quicker than alot of less experienced crews BUT a good well drilled crew can really shift a boat fast especially if one of them cycles and presets the locks. No way can i go as fast as them especially on the wide locks, i single handed Apache most of the way to Burton last year, i'd say that probably half the locks i did i was waiting behind boats, so it mattered not if i were fast or slow, the order was set early in the day.

Paul

Dukes cut lock is a falling lock off the Thames not a riser.

Being a noob and singlehanded I am still learning, but have found that going up or going down, take your centre line with you, going down to keep the blunt end off the cill and to pull boat away from gates in order to open them and going up I have the boat in gear to push pointy end against the gates to stop it drifting back and then rushing forward at warp speed, when lock almost full just knock it out of gear. Closing gates behind you is fun, I tend to just drift just beyond gates, put into reverse to stop, then close gates and hope boat has not drifted too far, have used boat hook to pull gates closed, but only a few times as you can't do them all. If you can see daylight between lock gates as you approach them, and no water running out, try to very gently push them apart, save lots of time parking. Have good boots/shoes in order to get up and down ladders and invest in a windlass holder, and don't let others rush you.

No one rushes me they rarely catch me up. :) I do however ever help the slow boats, with crew, often.

Taking a boat through a double lock should take 11 minutes depending on the lock. 8/9 on a single.

Edited by Maffi

Whilst we are off-topic, I was looking at a boat the other day which had cream 2-pack, covered with bitumen purely for aesthetics. The boat was five years old and is well used, but the 2-pack looked pretty intact to me.

Now, let's go back on topic!

Although it won't affect the OP, Beeston Iron is a pain single-handed as there are no lock ladders.

Although it won't affect the OP, Beeston Iron is a pain single-handed as there are no lock ladders.

I was solo boating for years and the only time I ever used a lock ladder was when my dog fell in and went under the boat.

Mind you, being in the bottom of the lock, and have your crew whack both paddles up, makes for an interesting 5 minutes.....

(Patrick, do let me know when you need a hand up the flight.. :boat: )

What are you trying to say? Was my lock technique not entirely to your liking B)