Single Handing through locks

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Technique? Not heard it called that before. :-O

How's the trip going? All that wind must be interresting past Semmington..

Next weekend we start Luctor, had wondered how I could bribe ask you if you could help us up Devizes...

The term "Jura" and "Taxi" spring to mind

Well today is windy, rainy and so an ideal day for trying out singlehanded locking (NOT!), however made it through the 4 locks from Fradley to Alrewas without problem, and thanks to the help of other boaters going the other way, barely any slower than it would have been with the 2 of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really good sensible answer's, but for myself who has done single handed boating in the past was to prepare the lock first opening one gate, gently cruising in just enough momentum to reach the ladder, up onto the boat roof with my centre line, which in my veiw is paramount, for me climbing the ladder is the most dangerous part, a wet green slimy ladder where you must alway's take your time, and there could be more pressure on you if other boater's are around. I think if you are first to that lock, then it is "yours" and by right's no one else should touch the paddle's without your say so. I have seen some of these boater's at work at Kegworth Deep in the past, where boat's have been very nearly sunk,

I enjoyed single boating, but I have a wife now, so she operate's the lock's.

Good luck and enjoy.