UK Replica List

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

The National Historic Ships Register lists many historic vessels, including a number of historic narrowboats.

It is now setting up The UK Replica List which "will help identify replica craft for research, public interest, filming or charters and will also promote the traditional skills involved in building and sailing these vessels."

Has anyone added their narrowboat to this list? Which boats do you think should be included?

Edited by koukouvagia

The National Historic Ships Register lists many historic vessels, including a number of historic narrowboats.

It is now setting up The UK Replica List which "will help identify replica craft for research, public interest, filming or charters and will also promote the traditional skills involved in building and sailing these vessels."

Has anyone added their narrowboat to this list? Which boats do you think should be included?

I would put Jo and Keith's Hadar in there.

I would put Jo and Keith's Hadar in there.

Surely if one aim is to "promote the traditional skills involved in building and sailing these vessels", any narrow boat that is basically a modern welded box with fake rivets fails to qualify.

There aren't many canal replicas that faithfully reproduce both the lines of, and the construction methods of, the original boats on which they are based, (even Raymond, could be said to fail on the first of these counts).

I'm struggling to think of one, but I'm sure someone will!

Maid of Oak

Not a replica but built using far more traditional methods than any replica I can think of.

Does that include the cabin......

bonded with aluminium sheets, powder coated with the final finish to avoid costly paint jobs and repetetive maintenance in the future.

......(not that there is any greater work in maintaining a wooden top than a metal one, of course)........

(Sorry, simply couldn't resist!....)

Does that include the cabin......

I'd be very interested to see what the wood looks like, under the aluminium, after 10 years.

What usually happens to woodentops "bonded" with metal or fibreglass is that they become home to a million earwigs and woodlice, in the cavity.

What about the Shropshire Union fly boat 'Saturn' and the tug 'Hasty'?

Saturn is already registered as a historic vessel, she is not a replica (as far as they are concerned) and Hasty is not a replica because the original, I believe was wooden.

Hasty is not a replica because the original, I believe was wooden.

And, I seem to recall the new Hasty is some 10 feet or more longer than any of the original Hastys, and a very much reduced draught ?

At what point in time does a boat become "historic"?

What about the 1960s pioneers of pleasure boats for the canals: Holt Abbott, Morgan Giles, Taylors of Chester etc? Why should it be confined to old stuff like Alan Fincher's floating patio?

In fact, why not a Springer. I've a replica one of those!

• Greenie 1

The HNBC.

Club membership is open to:
  • All owners of vintage working and ex-working narrow boats built before 1965 provided at least half the original length is preserved - including cargo carrying craft, tugs, icebreakers, maintenance and inspection boats.
  • Working boatmen or boatwomen who are/were regularly engaged in commercial carriage by narrow boat.
  • All persons interested in and supporting the aims of the Club.

I think some of the old hire boats now 'preserved' in private ownership deserve to be regarded as historic boats - many of them have done far more miles in revenue earning commercial service, especially, during the last forty to fifty years than have those boats that some regard as 'working boats' . . .

I think some of the old hire boats now 'preserved' in private ownership deserve to be regarded as historic boats - many of them have done far more miles in revenue earning commercial service, especially, during the last forty to fifty years than have those boats that some regard as 'working boats' . . .

Absolutely

I'm going to start a donation fund to restore Tawny Owl's roof in authentic ABC brown. All donations gratefully received :P

Richard

But the HNBC are not the arbiters of what is or is not historic. They can decide who is eligible to join their club, but that's it.

I think that what is actually "historic" is in the eye of the beholder.

I think my boat is historic because it was an early Broads hire boat and the last of its kind (though rumours of a sister boat surviving on the Cam are intriguing).

Unfortunately, at only 28 feet long, it fails the NHSUK's test of historicocity on length, not age or merit.

• Greenie 1

I think my boat is historic because it was an early Broads hire boat and the last of its kind (though rumours of a sister boat surviving on the Cam are intriguing).

Unfortunately, at only 28 feet long, it fails the NHSUK's test of historicocity on length, not age or merit.

Maybe it fails their test of being a ship, rather than histo-whatsitism?

Tim

You could probably get her on the National Small Boat Register. Tishy got sent there from NHSUK because of her length :)

http://www.nmmc.co.uk/index.php?/collections/content/national_small_boat_register/