Swinging rudder!

gary955

Featured Posts

I'm currently moored on a finger mooring in a nice little marina. The marina is also host to a hire fleet who's staff seem to be completly unable to move a boat at anything less than max revs! Seriously! Flat out!!!

The engine noise is a minor irritant in an otherwise peacefull scene. But more of a worry is that the prop wash of these boats, as they cross my stern, often swings my rudder from one side to bang noisily against the stop on the other. Will this be doing any damage? or should I just consider it another minor irritation?

Incidentaly. The hire fleet staff dont normaly let hirers take the tiller until safely out of the marina but yesterday I watched a hirer give his supervising staff member a masterclass in manouvering a boat with barely a ripple, in contrast to the usual rooster tail when the staff do it!!

Guest wanted

I'm currently moored on a finger mooring in a nice little marina. The marina is also host to a hire fleet who's staff seem to be completly unable to move a boat at anything less than max revs! Seriously! Flat out!!!

The engine noise is a minor irritant in an otherwise peacefull scene. But more of a worry is that the prop wash of these boats, as they cross my stern, often swings my rudder from one side to bang noisily against the stop on the other. Will this be doing any damage? or should I just consider it another minor irritation?

Incidentaly. The hire fleet staff dont normaly let hirers take the tiller until safely out of the marina but yesterday I watched a hirer give his supervising staff member a masterclass in manouvering a boat with barely a ripple, in contrast to the usual rooster tail when the staff do it!!

You can tie your tiller back with a loop of string although I would be more inclined to try and deal with the route cause. Good luck

Dont get me started to the hire fleet staff at Sawley.,...I had a very earnest discussion with one of them after he shot out the marina on full throttle about 10 foot in front of me with his hand on the horn.......

Cheers

Gareth

Tiller strings, I believe it is a well tried tradition.

ETA:

Alternative, splice a length of laid rope to a suitable snap shackle, attach to lifting hole in rudder, pull to one side and either splice a loop or tie off on the dolly.

Edited by Ray T

Hi

I'm not sure that tiller strings would work without the tiller in place (I'm assuming that the OP removes his tiller bar when moored). I doubt that any harm would come from occasional swinging of the tiller, tho' I'm in full agrrement about the dubious habits of many hire fleet operatives engaging in what I call " White water rafting" - using way too much power to manouevre. It sets a throughly bad example to hirers, who often copy the techniques with little success! Ropes and shafts can often work much more efficiently in tight situations. Just a thought!

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I'm not sure that tiller strings would work without the tiller in place (I'm assuming that the OP removes his tiller bar when moored). I doubt that any harm would come from occasional swinging of the tiller, tho' I'm in full agreement about the dubious habits of many hire fleet operatives engaging in what I call " White water rafting" - using way too much power to manouevre. It sets a throughly bad example to hirers, who often copy the techniques with little success! Ropes and shafts can often work much more efficiently in tight situations. Just a thought!

Cheers

Dave

Also known as "Water skiing"

Tying the rudder should help, or you could complain to the hire company and point out that if any damage is done to your boat by their hire boats you will be seeking compensation from them

Alternatively - try mooring the other way round or see if there is a better spot in the marina available - away from the hire boats (or find another marina)

If you have the rudder shipping hole on the top of the rudder blade,a rope or bungee with hooks can be used to tie it in the hard over position to a convenient point like an engine room vent or fender side chain fixing.

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'll just tie it up, and grin & bare it.

I'm thinking that complaining might make the situation worse.

Given how easily the rudder on a modern boat swings, even boats manoevering at a reasonable speed can put prop wash against a rudder and move it. Tying the rudder up is by far the best option.

George ex nb Alton retired

Given how easily the rudder on a modern boat swings, even boats manoevering at a reasonable speed can put prop wash against a rudder and move it. Tying the rudder up is by far the best option.

George ex nb Alton retired

Oh the boats aren't going fast, it's a pretty small and tight marina.

Its only the engines and the props that are going fast......very fast indeed! It seems from other replies,that this may be a common thing amongst hire boat staff and as someone commented earlier, a possible explanation for why many hirers always use full throttle for low speed manouvers.

If you have the rudder shipping hole on the top of the rudder blade,a rope or bungee with hooks can be used to tie it in the hard over position to a convenient point like an engine room vent or fender side chain fixing.

Or just to a stern dolly. My understanding is that that's the primary purpose of that hole in the top of the rudder.

Speaking as a long term hirer/boater and now also hire boat staff, I must say that I've never come across the problem mentioned.

We never encourage our guests to use full throttle unless absolutely necessary. Instead, we show them how to manoeuvre the boat safely and efficiently using a minimum amount of power for maximum effect. They are generally pretty impressed with how little power is needed to steer a narrowboat using the right technique.

I'd be inclined to have a word with the hire company in this instance.

Janet

Or just to a stern dolly. My understanding is that that's the primary purpose of that hole in the top of the rudder.

I thought the prime purpose of that hole was to take the rope used to carry the weight of the rudder when dropping the rudder right out, and putting it back in again.

And for recovering the whole rudder shaft/blade from the bottom of the canal when you have managed to drop it whilst standing chest deep in the water, trying to insert the top of the shaft into the bottom of the rudder tube. Don't ask me how I know this.

David