Gas Bullsh**

Featured Posts

Without wishing to be pedantic......ok, revelling in being pedantic. If the bottle isn't going anywhere anyway the chain can't really be called a securing chain.

Pedant!

:P

Richard

It would stop the bottle falling out if the boat turned turtle... :huh:

What I actually said was in my business I neither had the time or inclination to get qualified. I do wish people would read things properly. I thought I explained it pretty clearly. :rolleyes: Is there such a thing a criminal ignorance? :unsure:

You said that you didn't have time to keep up with the changes - in other words, you don't know what changes have been made. You certainly explained that point clearly.

Messing about with dangerous stuff you don't understand is probably negligent and may be an offence in some circumstances.

Is there a hint of irony in your wish that people would read things properly? How about reading the BSS regs? :banghead:

Yeh well just so you know those that consider me to be incompetent at installing a gas supply to my boat know.

My boat passed its Boat Safety Certificate today, first time without adjustment or amendment. Not only the gas but the WHOLE BOAT.

So shove it where the sun don't shine maties! :angry:

Edited by Biggles

I'm just glad it has been passed by somebody who knows what they are doing.

The issue was never whether it was right, but whether it could be assumed to be right. It couldn't.

That's what BSS examinations are for.

Well clearly I do know what I'm doing as it passed. This is what I have taken exception to all along. Being called incompetent by complete strangers is really quite offensive. I made one mistake in my interpretations of the RCD. As soon as I was made aware I immediately set about fixing matters.

Now where's mouthy Mayalld? Sure she has something inappropriate and irrelevant to chip in! :P

Well clearly I do know what I'm doing as it passed. This is what I have taken exception to all along. Being called incompetent by complete strangers is really quite offensive. I made one mistake in my interpretations of the RCD. As soon as I was made aware I immediately set about fixing matters.

Now where's mouthy Mayalld? Sure she has something inappropriate and irrelevant to chip in! :P

I am pleased your installation has passed, and I don't think you deserved some of the flack you got. We all make mistakes and that is why they put rubbers on the end of pencils.

I will however go on record as saying that you can dish it out yourself sometimes. If you want to refer to being offensive and making assumptions without knowing all (or any ) of the facts see your own post 37 http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29381&hl=%20tyre%20%20legal%20%20limit&st=20

I am pleased your installation has passed, and I don't think you deserved some of the flack you got. We all make mistakes and that is why they put rubbers on the end of pencils.

I will however go on record as saying that you can dish it out yourself sometimes. If you want to refer to being offensive and making assumptions without knowing all (or any ) of the facts see your own post 37 http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29381&hl=%20tyre%20%20legal%20%20limit&st=20

No I stand by that. I rent one of my commercial properties that resells part worn tyres to the UK market that are sourced from Germany where they have reached the German wear limit.

So they are removed from German cars wherer they are illegal and resold to the UK where they are still legal.

Personally I wouldn't run my tyres to the UK limit, but that's my choice.

No I stand by that. I rent one of my commercial properties that resells part worn tyres to the UK market that are sourced from Germany where they have reached the German wear limit.

So they are removed from German cars wherer they are illegal and resold to the UK where they are still legal.

Personally I wouldn't run my tyres to the UK limit, but that's my choice.

Well you would, wouldn't you?

It wasn't your ethics re tyres that pissed me off, it was your attitude, just like you have suffered yourself on this thread. What goes around comes around?

Edited by Guest

Last time I checked, i was definitely a he (Dave isn't a particularly popular girls name).

Clearly logic isn't amongst your skills either.

The fact that your installation doesn't leak isn't proof that you are competent.

The fact that you made a fundamental error in the installation because you didn't check the rules, and the fact that you asserted that you had tested the system without knowing how to do a test tell me that you are not competent to install gas systems, but that fortune has smiled on you

Bring back nice skinny cheap cross-ply tyres i say. The dreadful noise pollution of tyre to road ''rushing noise is getting worse a worse as the radial tyres get wider and wider and now look quite ridiculous on some cars.You can't really hear engine noise anymore just the rushing tyre noise and its now got to the stage where it pervades the cars interior constantly and can misslead you into thinking that there's a hub bearing worn,i find it very tyresome on a long journey.The powers that be in the Highways dept i believe are striving and experimenting with different kinds of road surface material to cut this noise down.

Of course the more rubber on the road as in ''wide radials'' gives much superior grip for cornering and braking ect especially on a wet road.

But the natural human reaction to the return of skinny cross-ply tyres would be more or less automatic''you would automatically and sub concsiousely drive according to your tyres capabilities ie corner less fast,leave room for a greater braking distance ect,which would also help to slow down the speed freaks and boy racers who cause most of the accidents.

The only major problem would be ''An emergency stop'' the driver perhaps being taken by surprise when someone or a child runs out or a vehicle roars out of a side turning without looking ect,but the chances are you might probably be going slower anyway because of the C/P tyres so emergency stopping distance might be similar. :wacko::mellow:

Bring back nice skinny cheap cross-ply tyres i say. The dreadful noise pollution of tyre to road ''rushing noise is getting worse a worse as the radial tyres get wider and wider and now look quite ridiculous on some cars.You can't really hear engine noise anymore just the rushing tyre noise and its now got to the stage where it pervades the cars interior constantly and can misslead you into thinking that there's a hub bearing worn,i find it very tyresome on a long journey.The powers that be in the Highways dept i believe are striving and experimenting with different kinds of road surface material to cut this noise down.

Of course the more rubber on the road as in ''wide radials'' gives much superior grip for cornering and braking ect especially on a wet road.

But the natural human reaction to the return of skinny cross-ply tyres would be more or less automatic''you would automatically and sub concsiousely drive according to your tyres capabilities ie corner less fast,leave room for a greater braking distance ect,which would also help to slow down the speed freaks and boy racers who cause most of the accidents.

The only major problem would be ''An emergency stop'' the driver perhaps being taken by surprise when someone or a child runs out or a vehicle roars out of a side turning without looking ect,but the chances are you might probably be going slower anyway because of the C/P tyres so emergency stopping distance might be similar. :wacko::mellow:

Mmmm.... I'm not so sure Bizzard! I take your point that radials are noisy, and I find that wide radial tyres are worse than useless in mud and snow, where the old skinny tyres (we called them "bike tyres" when we raced on grass) were better. That said I would sooner have the grip offered by modern tyres with 100+ HP engines on the black stuff. The old cross ply tyres were fine on me Moggy Minor! (60 mph down a good hill.)

There is a theory though that a spike installed in the middle of the steering wheel pointing at the drivers chest would be the best road safety device, so perhaps your tyre theory would hold good!

Last time I checked, i was definitely a he (Dave isn't a particularly popular girls name).

Clearly logic isn't amongst your skills either.

The fact that your installation doesn't leak isn't proof that you are competent.

The fact that you made a fundamental error in the installation because you didn't check the rules, and the fact that you asserted that you had tested the system without knowing how to do a test tell me that you are not competent to install gas systems, but that fortune has smiled on you