Pump out etiquette

Rebotco

Featured Posts

Sorry - bogs again! Not really etiquette - more practical.

I have received conflicting advice about when to add the "blue" to the holding tank. Some say add a couple of litres after each pumpout. Others say add about a dessertspoon amount after each serious usage. Yet others say a varying combination of the two. What is the consensus on here?

Don't use any at all. Flush your holding tank out to get rid of any blue and start using natural decomposition as it will smell a lot less and be alot greener, theres products that will encourage the bacterial like brewers yeast and others that members here will suggest. Good ventilation of the tank is also key.

We have a pump out with a 50 gal tank. we tried brewers yeast but it was a waste of time and it just smelt of fermented p-- we now use odourlos from midland swindlers and it works fine and very cheap to use but it does not break down the waste. hope this is of use to you

John

Sorry - bogs again! Not really etiquette - more practical.

I have received conflicting advice about when to add the "blue" to the holding tank. Some say add a couple of litres after each pumpout. Others say add about a dessertspoon amount after each serious usage. Yet others say a varying combination of the two. What is the consensus on here?

When we had one - we were told never to use blue on here...

luckily for us it no longer matters. We use blue in our cassette waste tank all the time.

luckily for us it no longer matters. We use blue in our cassette waste tank all the time.

You properly don't keep cassette's long enough for the natural process anyhow?

• Greenie 1

Reason why cassettes need chemicals with perfume, as there's no ventilation the natural way won't work (as quick). The natural way is better, but needs air.

I don't use any chemicals with perfume in my cassette and it doesn't smell (at least not until I empty it!) I use Odorloss as well which is unperfumed.

I've heard the venting theory several times before but I still don't really understand it. Surely the amount of ventilation that comes through a holding tank vent is negligable. All the vent really does is allow gasses coming off the waste, which are the products of anerobic degradation, to escape. Without the vent the internal pressure in the tank would gradually increase and be more likely to expel those gasses into the boat when the toilet is flushed.

Edit: And the vent also allows the tank to be pumped out of course otherwise there'd be a vacuum.

Edited by blackrose

Reason why cassettes need chemicals with perfume, as there's no ventilation the natural way won't work (as quick). The natural way is better, but needs air.

Cheers Robbo...I understand the theory...

I don't use any chemicals with perfume in my cassette and it doesn't smell (at least not until I empty it!) I use Odorloss as well which is unperfumed.

I've heard the venting theory several times before but I still don't really understand it. Surely the amount of ventilation that comes through a holding tank vent is negligable. All the vent really does is allow gasses coming off the waste, which are the products of anerobic degradation, to escape. Without the vent the internal pressure in the tank would gradually increase and be more likely to expel those gasses into the boat when the toilet is flushed.

If you starve the bacteria of oxygen you slow the process down, that's why it's key. Where not on about which system smells in normal use (as both shouldn't).

Edited by Robbo

If you starve the bacteria of oxygen you slow the process down, that's why it's key. Where not on about which system smells in normal use (as both shouldn't).

But the vast majority of the bacteria are under the surface of the waste where they are starved of oxygen anyway (that's why they are anerobically metabolising). Unless you use an additive such as yeast or a product such as Odorloss the oxygen only gets to the surface of the waste in any tank - pump out or cassette.

Blue's not good - (It's Formaldehyde !) - -use Odorlos - or a similar bio-thingummy- - much better

I have no idea what formaldehyde is! We've got a lot of blue to use up before we even think about any bio thingies.

Edit: And the vent also allows the tank to be pumped out of course otherwise there'd be a vacuum.

EcoMagic, IIRC, supplies oxygen to assist aerobic decomposition. I would much prefer, on aesthetic and ecological grounds, to have the poos decompose rather than be preserved by bacteria killing chemicals which then have to be dealt with at the sewage farm. We use Portapotti. No problems

Nick

don't fancy playing about with yeasts and bio stuff and getting 'balances' etc.

I like blue..I add a touch just before pump out so that it goes down the sides and kills as the tank empties.

I use about 0.5 litre when its empty..mixed with equal amount of water...and I add a small amount at the end of each week.

Have never noticed any smells at all.

Works for me..thats good enough.

Edited by Bobbybass

Happy to use blue in my cassette too, smells lovely but then again no number 2's allowed, plus! free to empty bonus!!...if someone needs a number 2 theres plenty of BW's bogs and pubs to go in along the way or if desperate dig a hole side of bank and crap in it- saves on water too!! :P

EcoMagic, IIRC, supplies oxygen to assist aerobic decomposition. I would much prefer, on aesthetic and ecological grounds, to have the poos decompose rather than be preserved by bacteria killing chemicals which then have to be dealt with at the sewage farm. We use Portapotti. No problems

Nick

Exactly, so you don't use perfumed additives in your cassette either.

don't fancy playing about with yeasts and bio stuff and getting 'balances' etc.

You don't need to play about with the bio stuff or get 'balances', you just add the bio stuff the same as you do with blue. But if you like blue then carry on...

Edited by blackrose