Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

But anyway this is far from being an SR, it's the big stuff, and most amateurs such as me would expect them to be outshopped in Brunswick green.

Not sure - an awful lot of the HAs / HBs I see are in what I would describe as grey or silver grey. "Flamingo'"s I would describe as (tired!) silver grey.

Not sure - an awful lot of the HAs / HBs I see are in what I would describe as grey or silver grey. "Flamingo'"s I would describe as (tired!) silver grey.

Silver grey was a standard colour for marine Listers at one time, certainly H series and SR.

Tim

I thought those things got progressively cheaper, (because of greater supply, and less demand), as the number of cylinders rises above two?

Am I wrong?

I thought those things got progressively cheaper, (because of greater supply, and less demand), as the number of cylinders rises above two?

Am I wrong?

Is it sold?

If not, you may well be right

Richard

I had heard that also; perhaps Mr. McCool felt that it should sell for half as much again as a 2LW.

But, as he's a well-known vintage engine man with, I believe, a good reputation, it's reasonable to suppose that he knows the market for a rebuild of the quality which he offers.

Am I wrong?

Certainly in NB circles a twin is usually more 'desirable' than a triple and usually demands a higher price.

Tis often the case with JP's and LW's

Certainly in NB circles a twin is usually more 'desirable' than a triple and usually demands a higher price.

Tis often the case with JP's and LW's

Somewhat bizarrely it's not really the case these days. A few years back it was so but now, with 3LWs being the harder to source, the 3 pot LWs are more valuable and sought after. Although we have both 2s and 3s in stock it is the 3LWs that currently fill our order book not the twins and JP3s for the Listers. Twins out of fashion perhaps? £16k plus for a 3LW ? Yeah right! Best of luck with that!

Edited by steamraiser2

Somewhat bizarrely it's not really the case these days. A few years back it was so but now, with 3LWs being the harder to source, the 3 pot LWs are more valuable and sought after. Although we have both 2s and 3s in stock it is the 3LWs that currently fill our order book not the twins and JP3s for the Listers. Twins out of fashion perhaps?

Probably to do with people being conditioned to think that they need lots of horsepower. A 2LW is more than adequate for any narrow boat unless going to sea or somewhere really silly, but how can people possibly manage with less than 30 horsepower??

Tim

Probably to do with people being conditioned to think that they need lots of horsepower. A 2LW is more than adequate for any narrow boat unless going to sea or somewhere really silly, but how can people possibly manage with less than 30 horsepower??

Tim

You would think so but I have just had a call from a guy looking to trade up a 2LW for a 3LW because it is under powered for his 70' NB. In a year or so at this rate I reckon we will be supplying V12 Paxmans for springers!clapping.gif

Tim

I think there is a need for a tad more mid range power/torque for a typical vintage engined boat having to keep 150 amps plus of alternators spinning. Sure a JP2/2LW will be fine once wound up on a river but correctly or slightly over propped as most are, you won't be able to use the revs on most canals, especially as they are likely to have deeper draught than most.

In my case this can leave the JP2 barking a tad and not far off black smoking if say the washing machine is running. I accept my situation may be in the minority but with modern fits not unique surely.

• 4 weeks later...

Non Marinised AS2 up on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/armstrong-sidley-twinpot-engine-/251786568479?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9fa6231f

Starting price a tad high i feel.

Still looking for the elusive electric start bell housing for one if anyone knows of one going, or one i could take a copy of?

Dan

• 2 weeks later...