Jy Praat Twak lives to see another day

kiki

Featured Posts

Jan copes with even a full cassette when she is on the boat with friends and she is not particularly strong so that should not be a problem.

Locks - perhaps you need to think of it as you being a single hander (but with the advantage of somebody on board who can at least manoeuvre the boat for you)

Or you could move up our way where it's all done by magic, no huffing and puffing at all....just 'push a button' :lol:

Anyway sounds like you are comfortable on balance with your decision and if you find it doesn't actually work out you can always put it up for sale again.

..too late when it's gone..

Well after all my whittering on about selling , adverts, advice etc etc on Sunday morning I went into meltdown - I Saturday I walked through New Mills, the birds were twittering, the Sett river was in full flow, the air smelled like Champagne (well like cava at least) and I though "How on earth can I leave this place and move into a flat on a main road with the busiest bus service in Europe at my door, the sirens, the drunk students, the litter etc etc". I though how on earth am I going to make up my mind aqnd how do I tell the much beloved.....a some of you know Twakkie is up for sale. Well after church one of the fellas there said to me "We really need you to stand on the parish council, we need young folks (ha bloody ha - the average age on the parish council is 83) with energy and ideas,.....please will you stand !!!! That made my mind up; I went home and said to the Much Beloved, I dont care what plans we make to accomodate his neck and the future, but they are going to include New Mills and the boat. He said Oh...Ok then :-) that was it !!! I ripped down the for sale sign and the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders.

So a diesel stove

Empty the casset each day so I can manage the weight of it

Locks we will worry about when we get to them

Brian and Colin help carrying diesel.

So folks my narrowboating days contine - I am sure some of the North Cheshire Cruising club will be spluttering into the beers right now but ....I'm back. and so happy I could bite myself. A small blip there on our graph but at least we did not make a huge mistake and rush into something that would have made me so unhappy as living in the city. So see y'all at Buggy this August bank holiday .

It is the right decision!

Caused quite a stir yesterday afternoon when I read it on FB.

Had to read it a few times, to convince myself it was true, followed by phone calls to the kids "Have you seen FB, B&P have changed their minds!!"

• Greenie 1

Good for you Kiki, and good for your other half to agree to this.

It sounds daft, but sometimes you have to take the alternative very seriously, indeed be committed to it and look it in the face, to realise you really don't want to change things and will find a way so that you don't have to, in your case living where you are, for others staying with the job they are in or the person they are with. If you hadn't faced this, you'd probably still be thinking "oh my, this is too much, we can't stay"

All those extra little chores and changes because of the beloved's injuries, that seemed too much to take on when you made the original decision, will now seem a small price to pay to stay in New Mills.

Good News and Good Luck

Oh, and locks, aside from help from friends, it's amazing how much help you get if you time it right, or take it slow. I worked hundreds of locks "single handed", but on less than half did I do everything, and on some I did nothing at all. People will often help when they realise you could do with some.

OMG thank you all so much, didn't realise everyone cared so much - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Yes Dave its true, Paul told the rest of the neighbours and there was a bit of a disgraceful celebration last night involving too much wine and yet another bonfire. So glad we saw sense in time. Thanks to you all. mmmmmmwwwaaaa

Sometimes that feeling of a great weight lifting off your shoulders is what tells you that you have made a very important and correct decision

Its good news and I am glad you are so obviously happy again

OMG thank you all so much, didn't realise everyone cared so much - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Yes Dave its true, Paul told the rest of the neighbours and there was a bit of a disgraceful celebration last night involving too much wine and yet another bonfire. So glad we saw sense in time. Thanks to you all. mmmmmmwwwaaaa

Excellent - - all the very best celebrations are disgraceful :rolleyes:

Great news indeed, you clearly didn't want to sell up and who could blame you. Now, I figure that there are enough of us on here to lend a hand should you be in the vicinity so I am pretty sure the detail will sort its self out soon enough.

Well done :cheers:

I,m sure you have made the decision that's right for you. We permanently cruised from ,95 to 2002. We fancied a change so I ended up being a relief lockkeeper on the river thames. It is a fantastic job and I have loved the last 10 years doing it. HOWEVER we have been in a house the past 5 years, a lovely little house on the edge of the Cotswolds in a beautiful little village. What more could I ask for??

Err, the boat back!, the missus and me really miss our boat, we have never taken to living back on dry land. The employer is becoming a pain, it looks like lock keeping on the Thames will die out in the next few years (just my opinion) and who knows we might end up boating again!! I have yet to meet anyone who regretted moving onto a boat but I have met a fair few, me included who have regretted moving off one!, so good on ya, you will make it work I'm sure

I'm so pleased too!! I enjoy your posts, think your boat is beautiful and we LOVE the Peak Forest Canal. So I'm very happy you can stay doing what gives you so much joy.

Ask for spare cassettes for prezzies for birthdays and call for locking help when you're off somewhere. This forum is just wonderful at providing such things. :cheers:

Re emptying cassettes, get a small folding two wheel sack barrow thing. We used one in our caravan and we have also bought one from Maplins for the boat. Saves long carrys, use an elastic strap to hold it on.

How about this?

Good price too