Why I am getting fed up on this forum

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I still stand by what i initailly said in my first post. but if you had all read my first post you would of read some positve comments, about the unbeleivaible genorisity i have been offed by complete stranges . what i object to is wothless off the cuff comment remarks in a thread were some one is trying to gain info. remarks that are so bizare its not real. there is a time for humour, and yes humour can and should be mixed with info, but some comments !! I feel i have to appologise to one man who i may of dissapointed and offended, a man who has helped me very very much. and that is Alan Fisher.I guess this forum is not quite what i had hoped it to be, i would like to thank all those people who gave construtiev help to me. good look with your forum. :cheers:

I still stand by what i initailly said in my first post. but if you had all read my first post you would of read some positve comments, about the unbeleivaible genorisity i have been offed by complete stranges . what i object to is wothless off the cuff comment remarks in a thread were some one is trying to gain info. remarks that are so bizare its not real. there is a time for humour, and yes humour can and should be mixed with info, but some comments !! I feel i have to appologise to one man who i may of dissapointed and offended, a man who has helped me very very much. and that is Alan Fisher.I guess this forum is not quite what i had hoped it to be, i would like to thank all those people who gave construtiev help to me. good look with your forum. :cheers:

You may have encountered some unwanted comments / off topic meanderings but that did not warrant the spite and nastiness you spewed towards forum members who had done nothing to deserve it. Shame on you.

I still love you :wub:

That looks like a thrrreee tone chime whistle,you'd need need a strongly built kettle to generate enough pressure and volume to blow that.

Off an A4

Surprisingly, you need a lot of volume but not a lot of pressure. We blew the whistle off a 2P by wrapping a rag around the thread and shoving it into the exhaust of a Ford Cortina

Richard

The other threads blocked and i was just getting in my stride.I shall experiment and work on you tea bag problem over the weekend Soldthehouse.And can work on my whistle at the same time.

It appears to have been completely removed.

Over the last few months there has been a succession of threads about how nasty this forum is. Genarally from relatively new members, complaining about long standing and regularally posting members. In my opinion mostly without justification, of which the latest thread is a fine example. In this one he tries to prove his point by name calling in the thread title. Ironic or what. Many of the thread starters throw more insults in their thread than anyone else. I have rarely seen anything really offensive or insulting on here and when it has happened the moderatoers have generally dealt with it effectively. Some people have left the forum because moderators are too harsh, others because they are not harsh enough, that suggests they get it about right. Perhaps a new paragraph in the terms and conditions is required such as

“This forum has lively debates where differences of opinion occur and humour is often used. If you cannot accept people writing things you disagree with, or you have no sence of humour then perhaps it is not the place for you. There are other, humourless and boring forums that you might enjoy more. Anyone starting threads about the content of the forum may be banned as not being an asset to the best canal forum on the internet”.

Now I love a good conspiracy theory so here's one. An alternative forum has members who are upset that there forum does not attract the interest, interesting posts and lively debate that occurs here so have decided to instigate a barrage of posts about how nasty this one is so people leave here and join them. Well it's possible.

Basically if you don't like it, go elsewhere without having to start a thread about it. Don't keep saying how bad it is, it's not and the vast majority of members on here would agree.

Hear hear

people could be a lttle nicer on here

Perhaps some could - some that I have met in real life are infinitely nicer than I would have expected from their forum personalities - which really underlines the fact that a forum is not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality.

Awkward flounce?

I think you may have something offer and gain from the forum but you would have to drop your dictatorial attitude first. Or at least just cheer up a little.

It appears to have been completely removed.

Aww! That's a shame! I was looking forward to getting together with Star and other Dylan Thomas fans for a bit of a 'recitation' :lol: Maybe we should continue somewhere more appropriate, like in the pub? ;)

Seriously though, I am definitely NOT getting fed up with this forum! I love it, and really appreciate the helpful advice and useful information I've learned here. And if a bit of a 'stooshie' starts up from time to time, so what? It's easy enough to ignore posts which don't add anything, or just have a bit of a laugh at someone's idea of humour (whether or not it is similar to one's own) and move on to the next topic. It takes all sorts, here as anywhere else in the world!

:hug: to you all!

I luv alan fisher too

Vote for Fisher!

:smiley_offtopic:

Curiously the chap who owned another 50 foot "Evans & Son" boat, (what Chalice is), moored on the other side of the narrow pontoon to us in our first marina, was actually called Alan Fisher.

Even more curiously, after his boat was sold, it moved away, but when we then moved ours a year or two later, Chalice has once again ended up on the opposite side of a pontoon to the same boat.

I would not have voted for Alan Fisher though, I don't think he had much interest in canal boating, and had owned his boat more as overflow accommodation, when he had needed some....

He once lent it to someone, who seemed to think it was normal behaviour when mooring up to drive the brass tiller bar into the ground with club hammer..... (I kid you not - oh how we laughed!.......)

Curiously the chap who owned another 50 foot "Evans & Son" boat, (what Chalice is), moored on the other side of the narrow pontoon to us in our first marina, was actually called Alan Fisher.

Even more curiously, after his boat was sold, it moved away, but when we then moved ours a year or two later, Chalice has once again ended up on the opposite side of a pontoon to the same boat.

I would not have voted for Alan Fisher though, I don't think he had much interest in canal boating, and had owned his boat more as overflow accommodation, when he had needed some....

He once lent it to someone, who seemed to think it was normal behaviour when mooring up to drive the brass tiller bar into the ground with club hammer..... (I kid you not - oh how we laughed!.......)

Classic, i'd love to have seen that

Aww! That's a shame! I was looking forward to getting together with Star and other Dylan Thomas fans for a bit of a 'recitation' :lol: Maybe we should continue somewhere more appropriate, like in the pub? ;)

Seriously though, I am definitely NOT getting fed up with this forum! I love it, and really appreciate the helpful advice and useful information I've learned here. And if a bit of a 'stooshie' starts up from time to time, so what? It's easy enough to ignore posts which don't add anything, or just have a bit of a laugh at someone's idea of humour (whether or not it is similar to one's own) and move on to the next topic. It takes all sorts, here as anywhere else in the world!

:hug: to you all!

I've come to the conclusion after many years on here, that we are dealing with lots of people with lots of time and there hands.

Many questions have been asked before and you need a reasonably new member to take the time to answer the initial question, many more look forward to disagreeing or veering way of topic just for a bit of light entertainment.

Also most member's are by definition narrow boat owners, independent in both behaviour and thinking - don't expect to meet any one who is happy to go along with the majority.

You will get an answer, but some times disguised as a sneer.

Pick out the good bits and have a chuckle at the rest ---- It's what I do.

Its still the best Forum on the netwub.gif They have never failed me yet

Alex

Edited by steelaway

'ere, who's been having a troll at our Starry? Get 'im, lads (if he's really unlucky, she'll get 'im first).

I read the popularity ranking of waterways sites with interest. It's good to have the feeling you're the best, as some modest reggae singer once said. But I expected another forum which i used to look at, "Just Canals", to be up there in the top few. It wasn't. Has it closed down, or is it just like Milton Keynes - everybody knows where it is but nobody wants to go there?

'ere, who's been having a troll at our Starry? Get 'im, lads (if he's really unlucky, she'll get 'im first).

I read the popularity ranking of waterways sites with interest. It's good to have the feeling you're the best, as some modest reggae singer once said. But I expected another forum which i used to look at, "Just Canals", to be up there in the top few. It wasn't. Has it closed down, or is it just like Milton Keynes - everybody knows where it is but nobody wants to go there?

:smiley_offtopic: Is it true that Milton Keynes is just like Slough - but without the charisma?

B)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Wow, Athy you aiming at switching the thread now so as to anger the hundreds of boaters who moor/live in MK?:D

Not at all, Mr. Mariner - I plucked the place name almost at random, it's something that I had heard someone else say. You didn't think that I had had an original thought, surely (and don't call me Surely).

Colleagues may wish to substitute another place name, such as Chernobyl or Ilkeston.

But I expected another forum which i used to look at, "Just Canals", to be up there in the top few. It wasn't. Has it closed down, or is it just like Milton Keynes - everybody knows where it is but nobody wants to go there?

Just Canals is still up and running.

I accepted an invite on there recently, and have entered a few discussions there around the CaRT elections.

(Like some others that are on both forums, my username there is not the same - I am "Sickle" on JC....)

My perception is it is very much lower usage than CWDF, probably by a factor of at least 10, and probably even less than that. Sometimes there are maybe less than 5 threads that have anything posted within them in an entire day. This may explain why some who were more on here, are now more on there - I know not everybody enjoys the high post rate on CWDF.

What is amusing is to see some who have "done a flounce" from here, now on there not causing the same level of disruption.

I guess the place is to be where you feel most comfortable, but if I had a technical question I needed quick solutions, I'd paste it here, and feel I had a far better chance of getting really good answers, (even if there was plenty of "humour attempts" and/or "side-tracking").

Actually I have become a complete "tart" because of the elections, because I can now even be found posting on the Narrowboatworld forum pages. :blush: (I bet that statement has lost me a vote or two, but given the chance, I'll try and convert anybody!......).