Why I am getting fed up on this forum

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

Over the last few months there has been a succession of threads about how nasty this forum is. Genarally from relatively new members, complaining about long standing and regularally posting members. In my opinion mostly without justification, of which the latest thread is a fine example. In this one he tries to prove his point by name calling in the thread title. Ironic or what. Many of the thread starters throw more insults in their thread than anyone else. I have rarely seen anything really offensive or insulting on here and when it has happened the moderatoers have generally dealt with it effectively. Some people have left the forum because moderators are too harsh, others because they are not harsh enough, that suggests they get it about right. Perhaps a new paragraph in the terms and conditions is required such as

“This forum has lively debates where differences of opinion occur and humour is often used. If you cannot accept people writing things you disagree with, or you have no sence of humour then perhaps it is not the place for you. There are other, humourless and boring forums that you might enjoy more. Anyone starting threads about the content of the forum may be banned as not being an asset to the best canal forum on the internet”.

Now I love a good conspiracy theory so here's one. An alternative forum has members who are upset that there forum does not attract the interest, interesting posts and lively debate that occurs here so have decided to instigate a barrage of posts about how nasty this one is so people leave here and join them. Well it's possible.

Basically if you don't like it, go elsewhere without having to start a thread about it. Don't keep saying how bad it is, it's not and the vast majority of members on here would agree.

Yes quite right. This forum as with a tv has to be as it where tuned in to. Simply turn off if not enjoying it. :cheers:

Over the last few months there has been a succession of threads about how nasty this forum is. [snipped]

Well funnily enough I think it's got a lot more civilised. There was a bad patch a while ago but for me it's over.

But the behaviour of some people can still amaze me and I've been around quite a long time. They will say things that they probably wouldn't dream of saying to your face.

Oh well

not actually been members for long but have followed the forum for a while and found it informative , amuseing and very entertaining and we think "isnt it a good job not everybody has the same opinions and sense of humour" or it would be a very boring place to be (not brill spelling or punctuation soz 4 that!)

:clapping:

thanks for keeping us amused :D mick n tracy

What I find particularly funny and true in what you have said, is that the people who are generally bad mouthed as the bullies, the clique, and the bad boys, are the ones whom I have found most helpful in real life, knowledgeable and genuine in who they are.

And conversely, I have been insulted/ trolled to death in the last few weeks by a couple of very new members who didn't stay long, offered very little of value to the forum, and had no intention of peeking out from behind their keyboard aliases to actually put their money where their mouths were in terms of their inflammatory behaviour and bitching.

Such is life!

• Greenie 2

What I find particularly funny and true in what you have said, is that the people who are generally bad mouthed as the bullies, the clique, and the bad boys, are the ones whom I have found most helpful in real life, knowledgeable and genuine in who they are.

And conversely, I have been insulted/ trolled to death in the last few weeks by a couple of very new members who didn't stay long, offered very little of value to the forum, and had no intention of peeking out from behind their keyboard aliases to actually put their money where their mouths were in terms of their inflammatory behaviour and bitching.

Such is life!

I'll drink to that Starry!!!!

Over the last few months there has been a succession of threads about how nasty this forum is. Genarally from relatively new members, complaining about long standing and regularally posting members. In my opinion mostly without justification, of which the latest thread is a fine example. In this one he tries to prove his point by name calling in the thread title. Ironic or what. Many of the thread starters throw more insults in their thread than anyone else. I have rarely seen anything really offensive or insulting on here and when it has happened the moderatoers have generally dealt with it effectively. Some people have left the forum because moderators are too harsh, others because they are not harsh enough, that suggests they get it about right. Perhaps a new paragraph in the terms and conditions is required such as

“This forum has lively debates where differences of opinion occur and humour is often used. If you cannot accept people writing things you disagree with, or you have no sence of humour then perhaps it is not the place for you. There are other, humourless and boring forums that you might enjoy more. Anyone starting threads about the content of the forum may be banned as not being an asset to the best canal forum on the internet”.

Now I love a good conspiracy theory so here's one. An alternative forum has members who are upset that there forum does not attract the interest, interesting posts and lively debate that occurs here so have decided to instigate a barrage of posts about how nasty this one is so people leave here and join them. Well it's possible.

Basically if you don't like it, go elsewhere without having to start a thread about it. Don't keep saying how bad it is, it's not and the vast majority of members on here would agree.

I've recently come back after a while and have found the forum to be really good natured, I did initially go away because some of the debates occasionally got a bit fiesty and I had enough angst at home without reading it on here, however I've only noticed helpful, informative info and decent banter since I came back.

I've recently come back after a while and have found the forum to be really good natured, I did initially go away because some of the debates occasionally got a bit fiesty and I had enough angst at home without reading it on here, however I've only noticed helpful, informative info and decent banter since I came back.

images11.jpg

This list says it all about this forum

http://www.coobeastie.co.uk/ranking/index.php?id=162

Actually it doesn't I think!

When Dan first added the counter to the forum pages, I believe he did it like other web-sites do, with the counter on every page.

My memory is that the site doing the counting quickly got flooded, and, unlike just about all other sites, we only have the counter on some of the highest level pages, because the "counting" web-site couldn't hack it.

I may have that slightly wrong, and I'm sure Dan can correct me if I have, but I believe CWDF outstrips other canal related sites many times over, "hitwise".

That said, despite its obvious continuing popularity with many, it is interesting how it is viewed from the outside by many. On other places on the Internet there are a lot of people interested in canals who find it far too "feisty", (either by actual experience, or, in some cases I rather think, by reputation), and say they will not come near it.

There are other much less "feisty", (and probably far more moderated), forums of course. I would tactfully suggest though that if questions of the type that Micky44 has been asking, (both on threads, and privately via personal messages), were aired on those other forums, you would only get a tiny fraction of the help or advice you might get here.

So it seems to me that CWDF is what it is. If you like some elements, but not others, you have a decision to make. Are the bits, (or people), that pee you off bad enough to lose out on the other things you can get out of it ? If not, make use of what you like, and ignore what you don't.

I've always chosen to stick with it, even in some of its less "auspicious" times. It's not perfect, but the others are very tame by comparison, (in nearly every sense!).

Actually it doesn't I think!

When Dan first added the counter to the forum pages, I believe he did it like other web-sites do, with the counter on every page.

My memory is that the site doing the counting quickly got flooded, and, unlike just about all other sites, we only have the counter on some of the highest level pages, because the "counting" web-site couldn't hack it.

I may have that slightly wrong, and I'm sure Dan can correct me if I have, but I believe CWDF outstrips other canal related sites many times over, "hitwise".

That said, despite its obvious continuing popularity with many, it is interesting how it is viewed from the outside by many. On other places on the Internet there are a lot of people interested in canals who find it far too "feisty", (either by actual experience, or, in some cases I rather think, by reputation), and say they will not come near it.

There are other much less "feisty", (and probably far more moderated), forums of course. I would tactfully suggest though that if questions of the type that Micky44 has been asking, (both on threads, and privately via personal messages), were aired on those other forums, you would only get a tiny fraction of the help or advice you might get here.

So it seems to me that CWDF is what it is. If you like some elements, but not others, you have a decision to make. Are the bits, (or people), that pee you off bad enough to lose out on the other things you can get out of it ? If not, make use of what you like, and ignore what you don't.

I've always chosen to stick with it, even in some of its less "auspicious" times. It's not perfect, but the others are very tame by comparison, (in nearly every sense!).

Does that mean its a meeting place for varying intellects and a broad spectrum of opinion culminating in a wide variety of views and knowledge ?, if so I,m all for it. :D

I am a relatively new member to the forum and boating in general.

I have found the forums a fantastic source of knowledge reading both existing posts and replies to questions I have asked.

Yes, sometimes it goes a bit off topic and it seems like some people are trying to get one up on someone else, but I just read past these.

It is obvious to me there is a fantastic wealth of knowledge on here, and the majority of people are there offering help and advice. Keep it up!

Does that mean its a meeting place for varying intellects and a broad spectrum of opinion culminating in a wide variety of views and knowledge ?, if so I,m all for it. :D

No. Kindly leave the forum

Richard

Mmmmmm, cake....

Gets my vote (in both senses).

I have to agree with the comments on this thread. It's a helpful forum and the humour can be a bit trying at times, however its usually good tempered and well meant. I think the main thing is to maintain a sense of balance and perspective. I work in an office of engineers where if you ask a question you'll get a range of diverse answers and possibly/probably the mickey taken as well. Sometimes the forum can be trying however its the diversity of experience and backgrounds, the humour and the support that makes it what it is and gives it its identity.

The other threads blocked and i was just getting in my stride.I shall experiment and work on you tea bag problem over the weekend Soldthehouse.And can work on my whistle at the same time.

a4_whistle.jpg

Go on, you know you want to

Richard