Why I am getting fed up on this forum

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

Just Canals is still up and running.

I accepted an invite on there recently, and have entered a few discussions there around the CaRT elections.

(Like some others that are on both forums, my username there is not the same - I am "Sickle" on JC....)

My perception is it is very much lower usage than CWDF, probably by a factor of at least 10, and probably even less than that. Sometimes there are maybe less than 5 threads that have anything posted within them in an entire day. This may explain why some who were more on here, are now more on there - I know not everybody enjoys the high post rate on CWDF.

What is amusing is to see some who have "done a flounce" from here, now on there not causing the same level of disruption.

I guess the place is to be where you feel most comfortable, but if I had a technical question I needed quick solutions, I'd paste it here, and feel I had a far better chance of getting really good answers, (even if there was plenty of "humour attempts" and/or "side-tracking").

:smiley_offtopic:

Actually I have become a complete "tart" because of the elections, because I can now even be found posting on the Narrowboatworld forum pages. :blush: (I bet that statement has lost me a vote or two, but given the chance, I'll try and convert anybody!......).

You may wish to amend the tart reference Alan , this is a tart up north

images45.jpg

Does anyone have an informative answer as to why NBW doesn't appear on the ranking site? Have they refused to be included (can they do that?) because it would show their claim to be the most popular waterways site to be false?

Problem with "most popular" is misleading as it may well be amongst its subscribers, but they may have only ten members!

Does anyone have an informative answer as to why NBW doesn't appear on the ranking site? Have they refused to be included (can they do that?) because it would show their claim to be the most popular waterways site to be false?

You choose whether to be part of the rankings or not, by adding the relevant link on your own web-pages.

If NBW hasn't done that, then they are not in the rankings.

'ere, who's been having a troll at our Starry? Get 'im, lads (if he's really unlucky, she'll get 'im first).

I read the popularity ranking of waterways sites with interest. It's good to have the feeling you're the best, as some modest reggae singer once said. But I expected another forum which i used to look at, "Just Canals", to be up there in the top few. It wasn't. Has it closed down, or is it just like Milton Keynes - everybody knows where it is but nobody wants to go there?

I'm a member on Just Canals but for the last 10 days or so can't get it to work. It goes to the first page alright, but when I click on a topic or new posts, it says Internet Explorer cannot open the page.

'Spect its bin got at by by some of the scallywags on here!??? :)

:smiley_offtopic: Is it true that Milton Keynes is just like Slough - but without the charisma?

B)

Not at all, Mr. Mariner - I plucked the place name almost at random, it's something that I had heard someone else say. You didn't think that I had had an original thought, surely (and don't call me Surely).

Colleagues may wish to substitute another place name, such as Chernobyl or Ilkeston.

You're thinking of Skegness

Like Blackpool only without the good bits

I'm a member on Just Canals but for the last 10 days or so can't get it to work. It goes to the first page alright, but when I click on a topic or new posts, it says Internet Explorer cannot open the page.

Works for me on Firefox, (I don't do IE).

If you last logged on a couple of days ago, and it comes up and says there are no new posts, it is probably not lying! There really are very few people actively posting on there for much of the time, so far as I can see.

Works for me on Firefox, (I don't do IE).

If you last logged on a couple of days ago, and it comes up and says there are no new posts, it is probably not lying! There really are very few people actively posting on there for much of the time, so far as I can see.

Thanks Alan. My IE still refuses to connect - just says "operation aborted".

Perhaps I've been banned without knowing it!! :unsure:

Thanks Alan. My IE still refuses to connect - just says "operation aborted".

Perhaps I've been banned without knowing it!! :unsure:

Always works ok for me try scubbing your link and re google it, I,m using Chrome and dont have any of the issues I used to get especially with ebay!

Edited by soldthehouse

You're steaing my conspiracy theory

Edited by Dr Bradley

There has been so much on this thread that has gone off topic, and some people have added humour. I am being bullied?

I don't know, do you feel that people are using your thread to improve their greenypoint count, do you feel as though those points should be yours???

Or, do you have a heightened sense of superiority as you cast off on your next long journey and think , "heystiffs, I AM OUT AGAIN!!!"

So no, I do not feel at this point you are being bullied, however, should you feel stressed after your regular break downs this year, feel free to contact OfCRC, the regulatory body for RCR, who just may be takin the pee.....

Over the last few months there has been a succession of threads about how nasty this forum is. Genarally from relatively new members, complaining about long standing and regularally posting members. In my opinion mostly without justification, of which the latest thread is a fine example. In this one he tries to prove his point by name calling in the thread title. Ironic or what. Many of the thread starters throw more insults in their thread than anyone else. I have rarely seen anything really offensive or insulting on here and when it has happened the moderatoers have generally dealt with it effectively. Some people have left the forum because moderators are too harsh, others because they are not harsh enough, that suggests they get it about right. Perhaps a new paragraph in the terms and conditions is required such as

“This forum has lively debates where differences of opinion occur and humour is often used. If you cannot accept people writing things you disagree with, or you have no sence of humour then perhaps it is not the place for you. There are other, humourless and boring forums that you might enjoy more. Anyone starting threads about the content of the forum may be banned as not being an asset to the best canal forum on the internet”.

Now I love a good conspiracy theory so here's one. An alternative forum has members who are upset that there forum does not attract the interest, interesting posts and lively debate that occurs here so have decided to instigate a barrage of posts about how nasty this one is so people leave here and join them. Well it's possible.

Basically if you don't like it, go elsewhere without having to start a thread about it. Don't keep saying how bad it is, it's not and the vast majority of members on here would agree.

Being the newbie that I am, I've asked one question on here and it was answered same day.

I was also offered help with a related topic so I'm well happy with it.

Reading some of the posts and their replies, I've gained more knowledge and info and at the same time

have been kept entertained. Plan to sell house this year and buy a boat to live on(main reason for being here),

so forgive me if I ask anything stupid or obvious!

so forgive me if I ask anything stupid or obvious!

Nothing to forgive, if you need the question answered it is not stupid (some of the answers may be :closedeyes:) and the answer may be obvious but not to you.

ps. there is a search facility but it is like using a chocolate teapot but will work if you put in the right question.:lol: