Academics And Boat Maintenance

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

When I was at school there was a mentality that went like this: Kids who showed themselves to be very bright were promoted to the higher class grades and it was assumed they'd later go to uni and finally work as doctors, lawyers, teachers, managers or executives and so on.

Kids who didn't do so well academically were given more classes in metal work, woodwork or maybe mechanical. It was assumed they would hold normal jobs and live by means of a decent trade.

Thus, there was a divide between academic and practical. There is even this mentality today that academic types are simply not practical.

Today, perhaps the reality of the situation turned out different. Many people who did engineering, for example, made a lot more money. I even heard of one guy who had a doctorate in physics who later figured out he could make far more money fitting gas installations so applied himself to that.

Personally I don't see why science and technology can't be applied to basic boatbuilding. In fact, boatbuilding is very scientific. Once you start looking into structural engineering, maths and chemistry, it becomes deeper.

So, in a nutshell, I'm saying the ideal boatbuilder should be academic minded and practical as well. Not just one or the other. Many boats fail in design due to this pitfall. Workmanship was good in the seventies but design was flawed. Stuff I see every day such as rubbing strake bolts that were totally covered by sheets of plywood inside and fixtures preventing maintenance. Engines stuffed in tiny compartments and then sealed in. Work that was carried out without looking into the future.

Just food for thought.

My family always gives me a hard time when I talk about any kind of DIY. They figure my academic past disqualifies me totally. In their view, academics are good at theory but hopeless in practice. There is a little truth to it as I find I tend to think much more about basic tasks. I overcomplicate things. However, that doesn't mean I can't get there in the end. Sometimes I may simply ask a skilled joiner or mechanic to lend a hand and point me in the right direction.

I've met all types really. I've known mechanics who wouldn't know a Dostoevskiy play from Dickens but yet are superb mechanics who can do the job. I've also known folks who also know all the theory behind engines or are electrical wizards.

If you can know a bit of both then it's good.

As a Materials Research Scientist turned cabinet maker/sewing machine jockey, I can only agree.

As an academic I should wholeheartedly endorse this. However, as an academic who is also practical, I have to say that I find myself in a minority. This may be because I have always been in an arts/social sciences environment. Scientists may have more practical skills.

Through my contacts, PB has done a lot of work (building, decorating, carpentry etc.) for academics. They are generally lovely customers because they pay quickly and are always touchingly delighted with the magic that has been wrought.

I have one example, a couple who were both academics. PB was doing a lot of work on their house and asked if they had an electrician they preferred to use. Oh yes, she said. Darling, who was that electrician we had to put the plug on the toaster?

As a Doctor of Materials Engineering with a Masters degree in Environmental Technology, turned boat restoration labourer because I can't find a better job, I can only lament the fact that I'm practical as well as academic. If it weren't for the former I'm sure I wouldn't be grafting all day on low wages.

As an academic I should wholeheartedly endorse this. However, as an academic who is also practical, I have to say that I find myself in a minority. This may be because I have always been in an arts/social sciences environment. Scientists may have more practical skills.

Not necessarily! There were some on my engineering degree course who wouldn't have known which end of nail to point at the wood, and which to hit with the hammer!

David

But this is the crazy workd. On my induction course as aBrighton Bys sriver tgere was a guy who was a well paid sciebtist working for H M G. but because he was on constant short term contracts he had no security so decided to become a bus driver. Lower wages but had security.

I did it to pay the bills after redundancy x 2!

Why use pigeon holes? I generally have found that academic and practical approaches are mutually complimentary. It's common sense that is often lacking, to the detriment of all.

Edited to correct spelling. Doh :blush:

Edited by Bimbly1

As a Doctor of Materials Engineering with a Masters degree in Environmental Technology, turned boat restoration labourer because I can't find a better job, I can only lament the fact that I'm practical as well as academic. If it weren't for the former I'm sure I wouldn't be grafting all day on low wages.

In my experience having any form of uni degree does not mean higher wages. Of my five kids the one who went to uni is only on 25k whilst her husband who hated uni and indeed failed is now earning in excess of 50k and my son who left school at 16 earns over 40 k. I know they are not very high wages but unless you have a degree that enables you to be a doctor or solicitor or architect etc I think many qualifications simply are not worth having. I think you are underselling yourself when you say cant get a " Better Job " a GOOD job is one that you enjoy and if you are good at helping retore boats then you should be proud of it. It certainly makes you no less a person in my eyes. :cheers:

My experience is that besides some academic types fostering unpractical type behaviour bc they think it adorable or summat (the number Ive come across at times who claim not to be able to cook or the like), is that they seem to get away with it: when he was doing his doctorate, Dr Wiggins would call me saying he'd once again forgotten his keys or lunch or the like, and my boss would say O how cute & academic & I would say how stupid & useless (t be fair, Dr Wiggins agreed with me) - it's part of the role, so people let them get away with it, whereas a plumber who got so engrossed in what she was reading during lunch break that the toilet was assembled wrong would just loose too much money...

With a bit of dress-making on the side no doubt.

Richard

Honestly, Richard, I'm surprised at the cynicism! Design & Technology is a wonderful course, I've got an 'O' and 'A' level in it and it was the only bright light of an otherwise deeply unpleasant secondary school experience. In woodwork, in the "good" old days, it would be "today, we are going to make a pipe rack", and if you were lucky you might get to choose what colour to stain it (because the school didn't have a full tin of any one colour). In D&T you would be given a design brief of "Dad needs something to put his pipes in", and you'd be given a free reign to design anything, and then build it out of whatever you felt like (providing you could justify the choice). Yes, even denim, if your avant-garde tendencies ran that way.

Not all change is for the worst. Behave yourself!

• Greenie 1

OK

Richard

O-level Metalwork A

O-level Technical Drawing A

A-level Geometric and Engineering Drawing A

But whereas that gives you good specific skills, I've got a grounding in all that plus plastics, woods, glass, textiles. All of which has come in pretty handy, as my boat isn't just metal. ;)

To quote a favourite album of mine:

Strauss: Yes, it's very nice. But we need a plane for bombing, straffing, assault and battery, interception, ground support and reconnaissance. Not just a fairweather fighter!

Strauss: Yes, it's very nice. But we need a plane for bombing, straffing, assault and battery, interception, ground support and reconnaissance. Not just a fairweather fighter!

Salesman: Well, that's ok. We can make some modifications. It'll cost a little extra, but it's worth it.