What sort of boat do I need?

Fyre-Faery

Featured Posts

No CC rules do not apply, there is another thread on here with just that topic.

Ken

Well, I'm not so sure on that one. You will still get asked to move on if you overstay

FF - this is a grey area, don't base a business plan on it

Richard

Thank You NINA!

I'm trying to work out if I can afford it, and make a living to cover the expenses.

I love the idea of owning my own home (on the water) but it seems frustrating that after the initial outlay of my savings it would continue to cost more than I currently pay in rent, which is £87 per week and includes my electricity.

Unless I CCed in for forever, which might drive me insane and is certainly no good for children's party bookings.

Right.

I'll keep thinking.

So if you have a cheap mooring up north you still couldn't cruise the same say 20 km in Surrey... would that make you a bridge hopper?

And going back to sea boats, Roger was saying you can moor off bays in the med for free sometimes.

Can anyone tell me more about that?

Well, I'm not so sure on that one. You will still get asked to move on if you overstay

FF - this is a grey area, don't base a business plan on it

Richard

On what basis? If you are on a visitor mooring or with a signed limitation I agree but otherwise. I would agree that basing a business plan using a "paper mooring" is a bad idea.

Ken

On what basis? If you are on a visitor mooring or with a signed limitation I agree but otherwise. I would agree that basing a business plan using a "paper mooring" is a bad idea.

Ken

Ahh, with that clarification, then I agree with you - I think

Still not convinced I can have a cheap mooring in Tipton and moor up in one place in London for ever

Richard

On what basis? If you are on a visitor mooring or with a signed limitation I agree but otherwise.

The terms and conditions of your licence specify that you have to move, every 14 days, just the "bona fide for navigation" bit is omitted, meaning you can bridge hop.

2. Use of the boat

2.1. The Licence allows you to use the Boat in any Waterway including mooring for short periods while

cruising. ‘Short period’ means up to 14 days or less where a local restriction applies. The Licence

does not permit mooring for any longer period. Daily charges may be applied for staying longer than

the maximum time allowed.

Yes, I'm defo in the not so sane (mad kiwi faery category) can't live in anything unless it moves category.

I know many of you have said the lifestyle can be difficult though and not always romantic. I think I have some understanding of that after living in a van with my ex husband for a year and a half. Finding gas bottles in foreign countries, stupid insurance laws, van breaking down in rural France, sleeping in 7 degrees, and police either telling you to move on or asking for bribes... ermmmm so I hope boating is a bit more relaxing?

But as it is such a 'hippy' thing I'm surprised the week to week costs are so high. I mean I could move back into my van for £15 a week park up fee in a nice feild (with no toilet or electric admittedly). Or pay a campsite £75 - 150 a week.

Do we have a 'field' version of canal boating? Does this go back to what someone was saying about the rare chance a farm mooring comes up????

Boating isn't a hippy thing. People choose to live on their boats for the life style and to escape the pressures of suburbia, the rat race, life in the fast lane, etc. It's a tongue in cheek joke about boaters being hippies, they come from all walks of life.

Neither is it the cheaper living option and most serious boaters don't take this view either. They just love the life and enjoy being close to nature.

I wouldn't say boaters are hippies. There isn't enough popcorn to go around. :unsure:

That's OK Nina, I'm not meaning to label anyone which is why I said 'hippy' with comas. I use it to mean those who want to escape from the rat race and be closer to nature as you said. I hope that's OK!

Yes you are right. I need months more research. This is my second day! And thank you so much for your help.

Edited by Fyre-Faery

Yes you are right. I need months more research. This is my second day! And thank you so much for your help.

I don't think anyone has ever generated 145 replies (and counting) in two days to their first post! :boat:

Congratulations, and I hope you can rescue something out of your original concept.

Yes I'd much prefer to moor in the middle of nowhere. Stunning!

Though I imagine most of these don't have electric hook up

As a liveaboard of many years experience I have only had a leccy hook up for one year in all that time. Yes it makes things a little easier but is not a necesity by any means. A properly thought out and set up electrickery system is easily achieved on a liveaboard boat.

OK. So I would need to hire a private mooring then.

Any suggestions as to how to find one outside the area owned by the National Trust?

Or, on the other hand I could park my car in a new spot every week and sail up to where it is!

That might work, 14 days is reasonable mooring time in each spot!

Is there a certain distance you must move between each mooring?

I will look up the Bridge Hoppers!

We are still looking at different waterways with different rules and different facilities. If you are on BW canals then finding a 14 day mooring is reasonably simple but you wont be able to go back to it every week. On the Thames finding a free 14 day mooring is very difficult, most free ones are only 24 of 48 hrs, once you start paying daily it is going to add up. About £8 in Henley.

On the Wey I can't remember but they have lots of rules.

Also you need separate licences for Thames, BW and Wey. You can get a combined one for BW Thames which is about 50% more than a BW one, 8 to 900 pound for a typical narrowboat.

Take a look at http://www.c-b-a.co.uk/content/view/29/33/

Hi FF, I would be very reluctant to give advice on any particular type of boat, because until you gain some practical experience, you will not have enough knowledge to know the type of boating that you want to do. However, you will certainly get a good seagoing vessel well within your price range, and I would suggest that the majority of vessels in the size that you would be looking for would be GRP. It is the most widely used for modern small boat building and is comparatively easy to maintain compared with other materials. Wooden boats generally have the highest maintenance requirements and some particular needs different to other materials. Steel seagoing cruisers are also very common, with Dutch builders being great users of the material.

One problem that you will have deciding on a boat, is how much leisure use you want against business use. For instance, if you want to eventually do a lot of long distance sea cruising, then sailing becomes the most economical option, but also brings in a whole new set of skills to be learned. Sailing boats and inland waterways though are not a great idea though particularly as they generally require more manoeuvring space and deeper water. On the other hand, a diesel engined motor cruiser is going to be very expensive on fuel to get to faraway places.

It might be worthwhile looking at some of the small ads in boating mags and online for boat owners looking for unpaid crew members to get experience of different types, before deciding on your own direction

From my own perspective, I have owned boats for many years, currently in my eighth year of living on my 57ft widebeam and. have a 25ft motorsailer for coastal boating. This year I will be buying a larger sailing/motorsailing boat for sailing to the Med and further afield, certainly within the price you are looking at and in the 40ft range.

One thing to remember when considering a sea boat rather than a narrowboat, is that length versus accommodation is not a direct comparison. My 57' widebeam has a living area that is about 41'x10, whereas the 40' sailer that I am most interested in uses virtually all of that length for accommodation and has a 14' beam. It also has considerable useable outside cockpit and deck areas that are additional to the internal space. One final consideration is that if your boat is to be your home, then narrowboats tend to be better protected and heated against cold British winters, though that will be less of a consideration if you will be doing the same as I will and following the sun in winter.

Good luck,

Roger

I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned that some Dutch and Dutch style barges have relatively deep draughts which will be fine on the Thames, but not ideal for UK canals. Then there's the air-draught and getting under bridges.

And going back to sea boats, Roger was saying you can moor off bays in the med for free sometimes.

Can anyone tell me more about that?

There are many areas around the Med and of course most coastal areas including the UK, where you can drop anchor and pay nothing. HOWEVER, you would need to know exactly what you are doing and have good seamanship skills to know when and where it is practical and what is not. Dropping anchor offshore safely is about understanding navigation, tides, wind direction and a myriad other things that need time and practical application. Anchoring is always subject to vagaries of weather and suitable equipment and in no way offers an alternative to permanent moorings for long term staying, being suitable for fair weather only unless in an emergency situation.

In some areas of the Med, a number of anchorages favoured by yachstmen have started to be subjected to anchoring restrictions by the authorities, usually resulting in various charges.. Still comparatively limited, but the increase over recent years in the leisure boating industry has brought the potential for money earning to authority attention.

Roger

This is all very interesting. Is there anyone here living on the canals and moving about a bit who would like to adopt a nice red haired Faery for a few days? I can make a good cup of tea, sleep in a small space on the floor and listen to all your stories with admiration and pricked up ears while learning how to use those lock key things in the snow.

Sea achorages may be free or some may be chargeable, BUT when at sea you must maintain a watch both in person and on VHF radio (radio to buy and licence and licence for you as well !£!) SO someone must sit up all night so that's crew not you.

Look at the Thames Sailing (Topsail ) linked above. Their business model is that an owner rents the boat by the month to Topsail who try to fill it with parties of people (weddings birthday or corporate ) An owner has the boat, the agency use the boat for their business and make and develop contacts among caterers entertainers cleaners and ships crew.

Now if you adjust your business model this way you lease a boat for the winter four months get a party every night make a fortune send the boat back to it's owner for summer refits and other things they want. You pay rent but you need no capital. What about leasing a canal boat from a summer seasonal hire company?

The MCA:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/

would be best to contact with regards to taking passengers on board - even if you don't go anywhere.

The boat insurance may need to be suitable for such a use also. Talk to Michael Stimpson:

http://www.insurance-marine.co.uk/

about it.

Cheers,

Mike

This is all very interesting. Is there anyone here living on the canals and moving about a bit who would like to adopt a nice red haired Faery for a few days? I can make a good cup of tea, sleep in a small space on the floor and listen to all your stories with admiration and pricked up ears while learning how to use those lock key things in the snow.

And yes, will check the Wey regs tomorrow, ring British Waterways, and practise on making that cup of tea.

Thanks for all your advice on Sea Faring Roger. It's huge plan, I think I'll go slowly but not give up. (looks like I need to find someone who knows what they are doing to come out with me; and even then do some serious training first).

Tam... Thank You... Yes I'm lucky so many people have replied to my thread. It's amazing. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! :cheers:

It is a bit cold, however, go and hang around some locks and have a chat with the boaters there. You'll usually find they are friendly, especially if you explain that you are interested in buying a boat and want to learn

Probably get a windlass thrust into your hand

Or come along to a banter - worst that could happen is a massive hangover

Richard

Or come along to a banter - worst that could happen is a massive hangover

Richard

Now that's a good suggestion! There are a few already planned this year:-

Beeston Banter 18 Feb

Calf Heath 7 April

Lapworth Banter 15-17 July

A great opportunity to meet boaters and chat over a few beers!

There are many areas around the Med and of course most coastal areas including the UK, where you can drop anchor and pay nothing. HOWEVER, you would need to know exactly what you are doing and have good seamanship skills to know when and where it is practical and what is not. Dropping anchor offshore safely is about understanding navigation, tides, wind direction and a myriad other things that need time and practical application. Anchoring is always subject to vagaries of weather and suitable equipment and in no way offers an alternative to permanent moorings for long term staying, being suitable for fair weather only unless in an emergency situation.

In some areas of the Med, a number of anchorages favoured by yachstmen have started to be subjected to anchoring restrictions by the authorities, usually resulting in various charges.. Still comparatively limited, but the increase over recent years in the leisure boating industry has brought the potential for money earning to authority attention.

Roger

I have a friend on a boat near Lyon who tells me he often meets people on boats coming up onto the inland waterways from the south because they can't afford the inflated fees on the Med.