1st time out

Emerald

Featured Posts

Ok, so this will probably raise a few eyebrows but everyone has to start somewhere right?

As I am a complete newbie and as the weather is starting to improve somewhat I am starting to plan ahead for my first venture outside of the comfort of my home marina.

This will be my first outing and so given that the entrance to the marina is narrow the entrance to the canal looks so incredibly small when do I begin to instigate my turn?

I should say that I have undoubtably stretched beyond my abilities and have a 57ft narrowboat. I understand the boat pivots in the centre so does that mean I start the turn about midway? If that is the case then there is approximately 30ft of front end sticking out into the channel a little different from nudging a car out from a side to a main road methinks? :blush:

Any suggestions other than take a bus journey will be gratefully appreciated.

Ok, so this will probably raise a few eyebrows but everyone has to start somewhere right?

As I am a complete newbie and as the weather is starting to improve somewhat I am starting to plan ahead for my first venture outside of the comfort of my home marina.

This will be my first outing and so given that the entrance to the marina is narrow the entrance to the canal looks so incredibly small when do I begin to instigate my turn?

I should say that I have undoubtably stretched beyond my abilities and have a 57ft narrowboat. I understand the boat pivots in the centre so does that mean I start the turn about midway? If that is the case then there is approximately 30ft of front end sticking out into the channel a little different from nudging a car out from a side to a main road methinks? :blush:

What about taking a 1 day training course. Many instructors will also offer 'own boat' training so you learn on the boat you will be operating. The RYA website has details.

If you can get someone to stand on the bow of your boat to act as a lookout to signal when the coast is clear then that would be ideal. Failing this enlist the help of any gongoozler around. Failing that proceed SLOWLY and give a blast on your horn to warn any traffic on the main channel. It is of course their right of way but they should give you a blast of their horn back if they are approaching and at least you know to hit reverse so as not to ram them. Once you can see the coast is clear don't forget to up the revs sufficiently to give you some decent steering so you don't simply ram the bank on the opposite side of the cut

Oh and relax - everyone started somewhere!

You could reverse out - tongue firmly in cheek :rolleyes:

You learn best by doing, although a course might be a good idea.

Go slowly, almost to a stop coming out of he marina.

Your tiller will only turn you more up to about 45/50 degrees from the boats axis, ....hard over 90 degrees will not achieve anything more.

Invite someone to join you, even if it is only whilst leaving the marina.

The weather may be looking less windy, but keep an eye out as it is going to get colder......and the models are starting to agree that maybe much colder Easterlies are on the way in a week to 10 days, so be careful that you don't get stranded by ice unless you don't mind.

edited to add, unfortunately, I have a lot of spare time at the moment, I think you are East Midlands, give me a shout if you want some support from a professional Bovril maker

Edited by matty40s

You learn best by doing, although a course might be a good idea.

Go slowly, almost to a stop coming out of he marina.

Your tiller will only turn you more up to about 45/50 degrees from the boats axis, ....hard over 90 degrees will not achieve anything more.

Invite someone to join you, even if it is only whilst leaving the marina.

The weather may be looking less windy, but keep an eye out as it is going to get colder......and the models are starting to agree that maybe much colder Easterlies are on the way in a week to 10 days, so be careful that you don't get stranded by ice unless you don't mind.

edited to add, unfortunately, I have a lot of spare time at the moment, I think you are East Midlands, give me a shout if you want some support from a professional Bovril maker

snow forecast next week

I should say that I have undoubtably stretched beyond my abilities and have a 57ft narrowboat. I understand the boat pivots in the centre so does that mean I start the turn about midway?

Say you're going to turn right out of the narrow marina entrance. Keep close to the right side of the entrance. In this position as you turn right your stern will move across to the space on the left of the entrance. If you fail to do this you won't be able to turn because your stern will be blocked by the left edge of the entrance.

Edited by koukouvagia

drink some beer or whiskey or whatever you fancy.that way you will have the false confidance to act like you know what you are doing.it works for many,many people in all sorts of boats :blink:

only joking.by all means get someone to help and dont worry to much about going left or right if it is windy.

Edited by pquinn

Roughly what area are you based in? You might even get an offer of help from someone on the forum local to you.

I am only about one step ahead of you, having got my boat at the end of October and having only been out on it three times, each of which was with help from the good people of CWDF!

Edited by Starcoaster

Just go for it, you'll be fine, just take it easy.

My first ever venture was up the Severn from Gloucester and I got all the way to Leeds without touching another boat.

Just take everything slowly, once you're out of the marina, you'll pick it up in no time.

Once you can see the coast is clear don't forget to up the revs sufficiently to give you some decent steering so you don't simply ram the bank on the opposite side of the cut

If you do hit the opposite bank, (gently if possible), putting the tiller hard over, and increasing the revs, will pivot the boat around it's bow and line you up with the way you want to go. In addition, waggling the tiller will make you turn faster.

I learned the latter technique on an Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course, which I would highly recommend.

Good Luck

Richard

Just get out there and enjoy yourself. There are far too many people who never leave their berths because they are scared. Dont become another one. Boat ownership is supposed to be fun and rewarding. It isnt a scary experience, you may be nervous at first but you will with practice soon wonder what all of the fuss was about. :cheers:

You could reverse out - tongue firmly in cheek :rolleyes:

We actually do this for two reasons.

1 - it is virtually a dead straight short reverse from our pontoon under the bridge from where this picture is taken onto the navigation. (our boat is the third from the right)

2 - you do have the advantage of emerging onto the cut at the end of the boat where you can see if anything is coming and can wait as appropriate.

Lemonroyd3-500x375.JPG

We then turn outside the marina which is less disruptive to the other boats with no risk of messing it up and hitting another boat.

(we do have the advantage of a very wide turning space outside mind.

IMG_0951.jpg

Edited by MJG

We then turn outside the marina which is less disruptive to the other boats with no risk of messing it up and hitting another boat.

And you can come straight in on your return too :captain: good planning :cheers:

And you can come straight in on your return too :captain: good planning :cheers:

Absolutely - probably one of the jammiest marina mooring spots ever.

Pure fluke that one was becoming free when we enquired.

We actually do this for two reasons.

1 - it is virtually a dead straight short reverse from our pontoon under the bridge from where this picture is taken onto the navigation. (our boat is the third from the right)

2 - you do have the advantage of emerging onto the cut at the end of the boat where you can see if anything is coming and can wait as appropriate.

Lemonroyd3-500x375.JPG

Not a bad spot that. We landed one of the tightest spots in our marina, 30ft from the end of the pontoon to the chinese!! We love the spot though and wouldnt change it. The looks on the diners faces as they enjoy lunch on the balcony and then get the anchor of an S23 sweeping past them is a joy to behold :lol:

Don't assume your boat pivots around its centre. With a 57' boat the 'pivot point' could well be nearer the back than that. I say that on the basis that my 32 footer pivoted in the middle, the 71 footer about 20' from the back. Only trial and experience will tell you how your particular boat behaves.

Secondly, just what are the rules about 'right of way'? Cheshire Rose suggests it's the same as on the road, but when I blogged a while back about coming out of a junction (it was Great Haywood but I don't think that's relevant) the consensus from people I regard as very experienced and knowledgeable was that I, as the boat emerging from the junction, had priority. What is the rule, and does it apply to coming out of marinas as well as junctions?

Not a bad spot that. We landed one of the tightest spots in our marina, 30ft from the end of the pontoon to the chinese!! We love the spot though and wouldnt change it. The looks on the diners faces as they enjoy lunch on the balcony and then get the anchor of an S23 sweeping past them is a joy to behold :lol:

yep, can just hear the mutterings..."there goes that anchor again..."

Secondly, just what are the rules about 'right of way'? Cheshire Rose suggests it's the same as on the road, but when I blogged a while back about coming out of a junction (it was Great Haywood but I don't think that's relevant) the consensus from people I regard as very experienced and knowledgeable was that I, as the boat emerging from the junction, had priority. What is the rule, and does it apply to coming out of marinas as well as junctions?

I can't profess to know the 'rules' but if you can see a boat emerging from a gap, and you can't see the steerer, it's sensible to take action to avoid collision.

'If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you', except, 'if you can see my bow but not the poor soul on the back, I can't see you', if you see what I mean.

Notwithstanding horn signals of course...

I can't profess to know the 'rules' but if you can see a boat emerging from a gap, and you can't see the steerer, it's sensible to take action to avoid collision.

'If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you', except, 'if you can see my bow but not the poor soul on the back, I can't see you', if you see what I mean.

It seemed to make sense that the boat going straight should give way to the one that was manouevring and had limited visibility. This wouldn't work on the roads because of the speeds involved, but seems sensible on the canal.

Edited by Chertsey

If we are talking boats steered from the stern then yes I agree - the boat with the steerer that can see the other boat has the advantage and should respect the fact the other steerer will not be able to see them.

A problem occurs of course if the steerer of the boat on the 'mainline' insists on exerting a perceived 'right of way' and presses on regardless.....