Aren't there any retired female bureaucrats who are interested in canals?

PiRSqwared

Featured Posts

Taking a look at the IWA nominations for CaRT, I noticed that they are all of the male persuasion...not surprising given the pool of IWA trustees from which they are taken.

http://www.waterways.org.uk/about/organisation_/trustees/trustees

Then it occurred to me that all the "independent" bureaucrats candidates I've heard about are all able to grow beards.

So where are the female candidates?...after all they seem to do most of the work at the locks!!

One thing that may affect the male/female ratio both of candidates and voters is that both must be the person or persons actually named on a boat licence.

I suspect statistically there are more men appearing on BW records than women, as the licence holder.

I don't imagine 10 people establishes a statistic, but out of 10 sponsor forms I have before me 7 are from men and 3 from women.

Taking a look at the IWA nominations for CaRT, I noticed that they are all of the male persuasion...not surprising given the pool of IWA trustees from which they are taken.

http://www.waterways.org.uk/about/organisation_/trustees/trustees

Then it occurred to me that all the "independent" bureaucrats candidates I've heard about are all able to grow beards.

So where are the female candidates?...after all they seem to do most of the work at the locks!!

That is because as normal its us men who pay the bills and so are the licence holders, a prerequisite for standing for CaRT

That is because as normal its us men who pay the bills and so are the licence holders, a prerequisite for standing for CaRT

I musta lost my cash cow somewhere along the way then... Didn't realise I'd been doing it wrong all these years by taking care of my own business!

Why does it even matter? If women want to apply then they'll apply. If they don't they won't. Surely in this day and age women are capable of doing things for themselves?

Does it feed some men's ego to want to be responsible for affermative action to get more women involved. What a paradox!

I doubt there are any Muslims or Chinese IWA nominations for CaRT either - someone better go and find some.

Why does it even matter? If women want to apply then they'll apply. If they don't they won't. Surely in this day and age women are capable of doing things for themselves?

Does it feed some men's ego to want to be responsible for affermative action to get more women involved. What a paradox!

I doubt there are any Muslims or Chinese IWA nominations for CaRT either - someone better go and find some.

Who said anything about "affirmative action"? I was just making an observation.

Dave just offered to transfer Carrie~Lou into my name! :help:

I think the important thing to remember is the old adage of behind every great man is a woman and just because she does not have her name on the boat licence it does not make her any less important in the partnership.

What about the Gay and Lesbian section as well. :wub:

One thing that may affect the male/female ratio both of candidates and voters is that both must be the person or persons actually named on a boat licence.

I suspect statistically there are more men appearing on BW records than women, as the licence holder.

I don't imagine 10 people establishes a statistic, but out of 10 sponsor forms I have before me 7 are from men and 3 from women.

It's strange isn't it. We had a bit of a laugh with the census by naming me as head of the household. The utility bills are all in my name because I'm the one that does the admin. But, yes, the boat is in Dave's name. I'm not sure why, because that stuff is really irrelevant to us, all I can imagine is that when we bought the boat it was so much easier to be conventional at the time.

ETA it was interesting that there were females filling the forms on behalf of the male sponsors - I know I wasn't the only one to pass the form to the other half and say "sign that dear"!

Edited by Ange

ETA it was interesting that there were females filling the forms on behalf of the male sponsors - I know I wasn't the only one to pass the form to the other half and say "sign that dear"!

Cath's handwriting is very readable by most people - mine only by myself, usually!

I'm worried that I haven't got accurate stats on which of my sponsors are pro "Rosie and Jim", and which would like to blast them off the face of the Earth. It's a question I'm simply going to have to fudge if I get asked it.

Cath's handwriting is very readable by most people - mine only by myself, usually!

-

Yep that's the main reason. Dave scrawls - I write legibly! He hates forms and I quite like filling them in. Just out of interest who writes your Christmas cards? In my experience it's always the lady of the house. We have better practice at handwriting maybe :)

-

Yep that's the main reason. Dave scrawls - I write legibly! He hates forms and I quite like filling them in. Just out of interest who writes your Christmas cards? In my experience it's always the lady of the house. We have better practice at handwriting maybe :)

Yes, wife does all the xmas cards and form filling in this house too !! Mainly because a) even a doctor would have trouble deciphering my handwriting and b ) xmas cards.... bah humbug :)

Edited by spannerman

Just out of interest who writes your Christmas cards? In my experience it's always the lady of the house. We have better practice at handwriting maybe :)

I'm afraid you're going to have to change that "In my experience it's always" to "In my experience it's very nearly always" because you know me. ;)