Tring Summit closure

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Well it is really. All of the planks will experience a foot head difference in water pressure - much like the top plank normally does.

Getting the planks down in the first place will be the same as normal. Once a foot of water has been drawn off then the flotation will be resisted by the friction between planks and grooves under the load of a foot head x 14 feet wide x 5-6 feet deep. Not a problem I think.

That's spot on, Alan. Exactly what the BW chap said.

Well both can't be right!

Whenever I have seen stop planks in, (and my experience is largely related to the GU), I can't recall ever seeing anything other than the top plank held physically in with wedges or some other method. Clearly you have an issue when you are trying to get it to seal before you start lowering at all, anyway ?

Don't know, but presume they know what they are doing.

I've been there this morning. Canal is not planked off, and no BW men on site. The chamfered off ends of the planks that are there look to be little more in thickness than half the width of the groove, (which I thought looks unusually wide). I wonder what the bottom is like at that stop plank point, and how they can know they have a seal there, if most of the water depth will remain on both sides ??

I have just sent the following Email to Narrowboatworld. In the past Tom has never posted any correction I have sent in to an erroneous story, so I'm interested if he will break that trend this time. :rolleyes:

Your Story on Weds 11th January: "Lowering GU Levels Today"

I’m sorry to tell you the story you have published is not correct, and the assumptions made by Howard Clarke who took the photographs are inaccurate.

Apparently BW have had issues both in clearing the grooves necessary to insert the planks at New Ground bridge, and then in finding planks actually suitable to do the job, without coming up with a way to wedge them in.

It is still the case this morning that the canal is not stanked off at New Ground Bridge. A large wide-beam BW workboat is tied up partly in the bridge hole, but there is only a solitary plank currently floating awkwardly at the top of the grooves. All other planks appear to be still loaded in the work-boat, and there were no BW people on site when I walked along an hour or so ago to ask about progress.

What Howard Clarke has photographed therefore is just typically low levels on the whole summit, (I’d estimate 6” to 9” low throughout this morning), not the result of planks going in, and only lowering part of it.

Perhaps you would care to publish this correction ?

Thank you,

Follow up....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

From: Tom Crossley, Editor narrowboatworld [mailto:editor@narrowboatworld.com]

Sent: 13 January 2012 11:37

To: Alan Fincher

Subject: Re: Your Story on Weds 11th January: "Lowering GU Levels Today"

Hello Alan

I'm afraid I am not clear about your email, and what you are actually meaning. The matter of planks has never been mentioned, and neither as it been published about the canal 'stanked off' at New Ground Bridge.

We simply published what BW told us that the summit pound was to be closed until March and the level lowered. I just don't know what you mean by a correction? What correction?

Tom

Sent: 13 January 2012 12:07

To: 'editor@narrowboatworld.com'

Subject: RE: Your Story on Weds 11th January: "Lowering GU Levels Today"

Your article is headed “lowering Grand Union water levels today”.

I don’t believe that was being done then, or has started being done yet. (The levels have been down by the kinds of amounts shown in your pictures long before Wednesday).

It can only be done when the stop planks are in at New Ground, because there is to be a protected length beyond there where the level of the summit is maintained, otherwise boats on linear permanent and temporary moorings at Cow Roast, and in Cow Roast Marina will be grounded.

A further problem with your report is claiming lowering a “5 mile stretch”, by the way, which it will certainly not be.

Finally several have been curious why if the article is about lowering the level, and clearing the stretch of boats, one of the published pictures clearly shows boats locking uphill into the affected stretch you claim is already in process of being drained ? Does not that seem a bit odd, in such circumstances ?

I raised this in a genuine bid to correct a report that has made false assumptions, but it is of course up to you whether you consider it important to publish the actual situation.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Follow up....

Alan,

5 miles - not sure about measurement (see details), but don't forget to include the Wendover Arm -- I think we will all be surprised how quickly and by how much the water level drops when the planks finally go in.

Leo.

PS I moor at mile post 58 on the summit, Wendover Arm/Gu junction 55 miles 192 yards (less distance milepost 58 to New Ground bridge - half a mile), plus Wendover Arm say 1.75 miles) = about 4.25 miles to have level reduced.

that ;) s a lot further than I recall...

Measurements taken from Alan Faulkner's GJC book based on an 1893 chain survey, probably the definitive book on the GJC and a chain survey is a good method of measurement.

I helped to do them (not on the canal)! when I started work 50 years ago.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Alan,

5 miles - not sure about measurement (see details), but don't forget to include the Wendover Arm -- I think we will all be surprised how quickly and by how much the water level drops when the planks finally go in.

Leo.

CanalplanAC makes (current) end of Wendover Arm to New Ground bridge just a "gnat's" under 4 miles....

Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Wendover Arm)

From Little Tring Winding Hole to:

Tringford Pumping Station 0.24 miles, 0 locks

Gammel Bridge No 2

New Mill Wharf

Tring Ford Road

0.55 miles, 0 locks

Bulbourne Junction

Junction of Grand Union Wendover Arm with Main Line

0.60 miles, 0 locks

Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line)

From Bulbourne Junction to:

New Ground Bridge No 136

With Pipe Bridge alongside

New Ground Road

2.57 miles, 0 locks

Total distance is 3.96 miles and 0 locks.

It also says to Cowroast lock is 4.5 miles dead, exactly consistent with what we always reckoned when we moored at Cow Roast.

I have not seen it definitevly stating they will lower the Wendover Arm too, although it's possible they could plank the end of that too. I doubt that's what will happen, but I can't really imagine that the benefits of lowering apply down there ? Exactly the sort of stretch if allowed to dry out could leak more when refilled, I'd have thought.

Anyone know if BW has made any further progress yet, or are thewy still searchine for bits of suitable wood ? :lol:

Not immensely interesting, perhaps, but this mornings situation, (and lack of progress) at Cow Roast & New Ground......

Paddles locked at Cow Roast

IMG_0844.jpg

More space than I have seen in years at Cow Roast visitor moorings, despite suggestion only those with winter mooring permits can be accommodated.....

IMG_0864.jpg

A work boat in New Ground bridge, where the stop planks are to go.....

IMG_0850.jpg

These would appear to be those most of the planks yet to be fitted......

IMG_0861.jpg

I believe there is just one in, floating loose. Obviously no level difference!

IMG_0854.jpg

This boat is in the about to be drained bit. Owner of this boat, I suggest you contact BW ASAP!

IMG_0858.jpg

(I said it wasn't very interesting - pictures may be more informative once something is actually happening).

What annoys me, is that boats that decided they couldn't possibly get up to, and across the summit in time, in many cases could have done, given boats could still be passing through a week after this was known to be happening.

Edited by alan_fincher

glad to see loolapaloza made it out of dudswell, one of the few paid for winter moorers

I think Mugglewumps been there for quite a while now and i dont know anyone who knows the owners but i'll ask around

All the boats from the vistors moorings are in marsworth now, its quite busy down from the white lion to passed the red lion bridge

glad you got Lord Budgies boat in shot:lol:

is a boat called Swan still up there?

Edited by Fat Boat

glad to see loolapaloza made it out of dudswell, one of the few paid for winter moorers

I think Mugglewumps been there for quite a while now and i dont know anyone who knows the owners but i'll ask around

All the boats from the vistors moorings are in marsworth now, its quite busy down from the white lion to passed the red lion bridge

glad you got Lord Budgies boat in shot:lol:

is a boat called Swan still up there?

Swan is usually down by the Crystal Palace or Waitrose at this time of year.......

IMG_0854.jpg

Looks to me as though they should be putting planks in somewhere else, so that they can repair those stop plank grooves!!

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Looks to me as though they should be putting planks in somewhere else, so that they can repair those stop plank grooves!!

Tim

There isn't anywhere else! BW were repairing the grooves below the water level and clearing the bed of the canal at the beginning of the week.

I have not seen it definitevly stating they will lower the Wendover Arm too, although it's possible they could plank the end of that too. I doubt that's what will happen, but I can't really imagine that the benefits of lowering apply down there ? Exactly the sort of stretch if allowed to dry out could leak more when refilled, I'd have thought.

Anyone know if BW has made any further progress yet, or are thewy still

Alan,

Pics brill, the level at the pumping station on Wendover Arm is the same as the level at Cowroast. It's a long stretch to reduced the depth of water or to look for leaks.

If they reduce the depth of water on the summit the level on the Wendover Arm must go down unless stop planks are introduced.

It is possible the extensive dredging of the summit a few years ago did not help the overall situation.

ATB

Mike.

Tim

Hi,

Metal thieves pinch anything these days.....

Leo.

Been there today. Planks are in but same water level each side. Looks lower than when I boated through a couple of weeks ago. One boat on Cowroast side a little tilted. A lot of boats moved from Bulbourne but the ones left looked level. Water level looked a little down. Marsworth packed with many boats 2 deep!

IMG_0864.jpg

A work boat in New Ground bridge, where the stop planks are to go.....

IMG_0850.jpg

These would appear to be those most of the planks yet to be fitted......

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Is the work boat in the bit that is going to be drained or the bit that will stay in water?

So best guess at the moment is 2 months closure is that right? I have emailed BW south east requesting updates, it this the best way to find out what is happening? I am in MK expecting twins at the beginning on Feb and my partner is supposed to be bringing our boat up from London. Looks like he wont be getting past Berkhamsted for a while then, hmmm.... :unsure:

So best guess at the moment is 2 months closure is that right? I have emailed BW south east requesting updates, it this the best way to find out what is happening? I am in MK expecting twins at the beginning on Feb and my partner is supposed to be bringing our boat up from London. Looks like he wont be getting past Berkhamsted for a while then, hmmm.... :unsure:

To be honest, I reckon you'll first hear what's happening on the forum. After all, the stoppage was reported here a good few days before BW got their act together and announced it on Waterscape.

I very much doubt whether it'll be open before March - if then, if we have no significant rainfall.

Will be drained beyond the bridge as you look at it in second picture.

So do you think the stop plank groves will take the strain, surly they are designed to have the pressure on the other side trying to push them under the bridge, not out of the mouth.