SPCC Tideway Trip To Boat Show 6th January

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I was also lucky enough to be on the trip - thanks to Christine on Ketura for inviting me along. I took a

video of the trip. It was a great day not to mention the incredible weather we had, given that the day before was really windy this was a stroke of luck. I'll try to upload some photos of the trip. We got to City Mill lock hours before everyone else - being moored at the residential mooring nearby - and watch contractors remove the 'floating structures' that had been stored there - this meant there was room for the 7 boats. Bacon sandwich was very good whilst we waited. River not to busy as you can see and no bow waves which might have had the camera in the drink. Kept the doors closed most of the time.

I was also lucky enough to be on the trip - thanks to Christine on Ketura for inviting me along. I took a

video of the trip. It was a great day not to mention the incredible weather we had, given that the day before was really windy this was a stroke of luck. I'll try to upload some photos of the trip. We got to City Mill lock hours before everyone else - being moored at the residential mooring nearby - and watch contractors remove the 'floating structures' that had been stored there - this meant there was room for the 7 boats. Bacon sandwich was very good whilst we waited. River not to busy as you can see and no bow waves which might have had the camera in the drink. Kept the doors closed most of the time.

Good god what speed was Christine doing? Getting to the royal docks in so few minutes is amazing.

Tim's pictures are always top notch, aren't they ?

Some truly stunning.

If you go out on the Thames on your own, really all you can do is take pictures of what you are passing, or views along your boat, or back to the steerer - none of which give a real idea of the change of scale involved.

But when you have a "flotilla", and can shoot one or more canal boats from another with some massive structure(s) in the background, my, what a difference it makes.

Well done Tim - deeply envious!

Super photos. Thank you. Makes me want to take a cruise down the Thames one day! As a matter of interest, what resolution did you shoot those pictures at?

They were taken with an 18MP Canon 60D but I reduce the resolution of the pictures I upload to approx 5MP equivalent.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I think it is a simple Ricoh Caplio 5 digital camera. Just happens to have a timelapse setting - I set it to 5 seconds with a 640 x 480, mounted on a Maplins clamp hold and clamped it to the cratch cover. About 200 photos taken and the mp4 was produced by http://photolapse-3-3-0.soft-free-download.com/ which is freeware - or if you have quicktime....

Other videos at My link Battery lasts about 3-4 hours (turn display screen off) so I take a spare one along. Could use a higher resolution but not really worth it as youtube compresses right down. Good luck to the 7 nbs who are making their way back this lunchtime. Really weird mooring in the dock - all that water and out of boat show time no sign of any other moorers. They are right by the, under construction, new London cable car terminus.

Edited by roggie

That time lapse video is great. Thanks

Sue's account of the trip down and some of our photos are here. Not up to Tim's standard!

The St Pancras Cruising Club work really hard organising these trips and they are to be congratulated. If you are in London or can get to London then their trips are well worth going on, how else would you get to do a trip or 12 through the Thames Barrier. Their tentative trip list is here.

Last time I saw SS Robin she was on the shocks in Lowestoft, I thought she would have been afloat by now.

Thames was my old splash-around til abandoning it for t'cut. Robin is not due to go back in the water. Ever. She's staying on that pontoon and will be (if she isn't already) basically a museum and educational centre. I believe. She's too precious to get wet any more.