Narrowboat home is lost under waves

Josher

Featured Posts

Yorkshire folk are 'mean' with money because most of us haven't got any.

Things and practical help, on the other hand, are given out generously.

This I know to be true...Carl gave our University drama department a National 12 clinker dinghy for a recent production that I stage managed, and not only that but he drove it to Lancaster from Rugby......A very generous help indeed. Ill be sure to let you know if it earned me a First when I eventually graduate next Spring.

Huge huge thanks publicly to Carl and family....

wub.gif

I travelled on the Herald a few weeks before it sank - we parked on the car deck and then watched as the bow doors refused to shut because a lorry roof was in the way as it had parked too far forward. Travelled across with them open - seemed quite normal practice. Terrible!

A former work associate was ment to be on the Herald but missed it so drove to Calais and turned up at home knowing nothing about what happened to a paniced wife and family.

Always a shocking experience and respect to everyone who has mucked in and helped them.

A 24 year old dog though! I thought Tommy was old at 17.

Oooer, I thought I had posted but realised I have been Avatared. (for some reason mine stopped mooning)

Phil

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/70604

perhaps its the boat in the background of this picture! 15 inch waves would probably be enough!

the spirit of free enterprise sank in the port of felixstowe a few weeks before the Herald Of Free Enerprise turned turtle on its exit from zeebrugge. the spirit was hushed up as it was drained of water as the tide went out and refloated as the tide came back in. that is the story i was told the herald was not so lucky and tragically many people lost their lives in the icy cold pitch black water.

The Spirit of Free Enterprise was based in Dover, not Felixstowe.It did not sink.It was eventually sold to a Greek ferry company and to the best of my knowledge is still in service.

Pure speculation of course. But based on certain experiences. As for the poster above who wondered why their bilge pumps did not work. Most canalboats I believe don't have bilge pumps and a [fitted]bilge pump will not work unless it's outflow is clear of water.

EDIT: "Herald of Free Enterprise". It has it's own wiki page and canalboaters should read it.

Those of you who have actually qualified as canal skippers will know immediately why I referred to the "Herald" incident. You will have done the module where the top gate paddle was flipped open really quick and flooded the bow while the front doors were closed. The sheer weight of water filled the bow in seconds and since 200 gallons of water weighs a ton, the boat just went straight down bow first in the lock. had the doors been open at the time she would have shipped a ton of water into the cabin and sank anyway. Far too many of you jokers in t'cut forget you are [supposed to be] sailors. I don't worry about the 2% of you who know what you are talking about. I fear for the 98% who patently don't. I wish you all a soldier's wind and good night.

Edited by Pentargon

Probably a 15 inch wave hitting the bow on the quarter could cause a lot of water to enter the front well.

But then surely it would drain just as quickly? I've had water coming onto the well deck through the scupper holes when I've been down to Limehouse, but it just drains out. I keep the bow doors shut though to prevent spray coming inside.

Snip

*** The sheer weight of water filled the bow in seconds and since 200 gallons of water weighs a ton, the boat just went straight down bow first in the lock. had the doors been open at the time she would have shipped a ton of water into the cabin and sank anyway. ***

Realy? 200 gls will sink a nb?

The Herald was a seagoing RORO ferry with an open car deck running the length of the ship. Never designed to operate at sea with the bow doors opened.

Anyway regardless of the wheres and whyfores the fact is this couple did lose their boat in what I am sure were terrifying circumstances at the time during some of the worst storms of the last twenty years and have survived to tell the tale.I hope they are both doing well and can get themselves another boat with the insurance.

Those of you who have actually qualified as canal skippers will know immediately why I referred to the "Herald" incident. You will have done the module where the top gate paddle was flipped open really quick and flooded the bow while the front doors were closed. The sheer weight of water filled the bow in seconds and since 200 gallons of water weighs a ton, the boat just went straight down bow first in the lock. had the doors been open at the time she would have shipped a ton of water into the cabin and sank anyway. Far too many of you jokers in t'cut forget you are [supposed to be] sailors. I don't worry about the 2% of you who know what you are talking about. I fear for the 98% who patently don't. I wish you all a soldier's wind and good night.

I would love to know more about this module were the top gate paddle is flipped open and it sinks a boat with 200 gallons of water. :captain:

The door onto the well deck is a very imperfect waterproof bulkhead so waves continuously breaking over and into the well deck will lower the bow. Whilst the well deck drains (scuppers) would handle the bulk of water any water getting through the front door would be an escalating problem as there is no pump draining the lowered front of the cabin. 18-24" high frequency waves would certainly slop water a fair bit of water over the side and would have seemed frighteningly large. My sympathies, it is never nice to hear of people loosing their boat and/or home.

Don

From what I can remember the boat that sank on the Severn last year sank because it was taking in water on the well deck and that got in through the doors and eventually sunk it. It sunk on the last corner before Gloucester lock so maybe they Thought they could make it home.

It added to a very scary journey for us when after riding a high tide down (never doing that again!) the last corner had to be negotiated round this sunk boat. Never been so happy to see Gloucester before!

Surely it would take water coming in for awhile and not a freak wave to sink a narrowboat, unless your st sea.

From what I can remember the boat that sank on the Severn last year sank because it was taking in water on the well deck and that got in through the doors and eventually sunk it. It sunk on the last corner before Gloucester lock so maybe they Thought they could make it home.

It added to a very scary journey for us when after riding a high tide down (never doing that again!) the last corner had to be negotiated round this sunk boat. Never been so happy to see Gloucester before!

Surely it would take water coming in for awhile and not a freak wave to sink a narrowboat, unless your st sea.

I'm just wondering if the exaggeration of this huge wave came from a much smaller wave hitting their cratch whilst it was still intact and effectively "exploding" upwards and giving the impression of a much larger wave, looking at the image I posted above it does seem feasible as the boat in that picture appears to be pitching forwards if you compare the line of the cabin roof to that of the bridge in the background.

I could imagine a good swell hitting the cratch front of a moving boat making quite a high escape route over the top of it.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

Well I am going to stick my neck out here and say that filling the well deck with water is no way going to sink your average narrowboat. 200 gallons sounds about right and is typical for the water tank capacity which usually is under the well deck. The difference between a full and empty water tank on our boat it perhaps 3 inches, so I would have though filling the well deck would be similar to that. I also do not get the comment about if the doors were open that a ton of water inside would sink in anyway, how? But then I am not "qualified".

s I have a 300 gall water tank, and sink my boat every time I fill it..........

When you fill your water tank theres very little free surface effect. I'm not sure if if would sink it, but if you put that 300 gallons into the bilges where it can run around freely it would certainly affect the boat's handling and on a windy day it might roll on a tight turn.

I can't remember where this image came from but i've always thought it to be a good demonstration of tolerance in moderate (relatively speaking) wind/swell...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7286/thames.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly someone posted a set of those pictures from their trip on the tidal Thames, although I don't recognise the bridge or building.