Winding back to Windows XP

Featured Posts

Ebay is indeed the place.

If I go that route I will back up my personal data, format the hard drive and just install XP from scratch.

Then I will need to install the updates to XP.

Based on re-installing Vista this aft. I reckon it could take most of a day to complete.

Some good deals on Win7 here - including a decent spec laptop--------------- My link

Treat yourself, you deserve it after all these years. Give your old one to the grand-kids for xmas

Win7 & Office10 Rules OK - you just have to force yourself to re-learn and to move on up

Alex

Martin,

I know that when they released Vista and a shed load of people either paid for an upgrade from XP to Vista, or purchased new Laptops with Windows Vista pre-loaded and then who all had problems, a free upgrade to Windows 7 was available.

As your Laptop, by the sounds of it, came pre-loaded with Vista, it may be worth looking into. I don't know whether the offer was for a certain amount of time or for any Vista based system.

Cheers

Martin,

I know that when they released Vista and a shed load of people either paid for an upgrade from XP to Vista, or purchased new Laptops with Windows Vista pre-loaded and then who all had problems, a free upgrade to Windows 7 was available.

As your Laptop, by the sounds of it, came pre-loaded with Vista, it may be worth looking into. I don't know whether the offer was for a certain amount of time or for any Vista based system.

Cheers

I was offered that too Liam,but never bothered,as i said auto corrections and updates kept coming in for Vista and gradually all was fine and still is as far as i'm concerned.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and a netbook with XP, I prefer XP but my son in law says it is just because I'm stuck in my ways. Windows 7 drives me mad, I can never find anything.

your not alone there the spreadsheet on open office is a nightmare!! bring back excel!

Martin

You could always wait until next year (about August) and go for Windows 8. :lol:

no by august it will be windows 253!! wish they would stop bloody changing it!!

Vista was a complete flop for Microsoft & forced many customer to stay with or revert back to XP.

However although having a similar interface, Windows 7 is entirely different in terms of reliability. Have been using it since 2008 in beta, nearly a year before it was released. Have never found a Window's program new or old that can't be made to run on it. There is a compatibility option when installing anyway.

I understand its a new learning experience for some with maybe up to 10 years of familiarity with XP, but you do get used to it.

A couple of recommendations:

1) To get the folder options menu File,Edit,View,Tools etc. go to Control Panel>Folder Options - click the View tab & tick "Always show menus" which is off by default.

2) Go to Control Panel>User Accounts - on your account click on "Change User account control settings" then drag the slider to the bottom "Never Notify". This will remove all those annoying do you really want to install this messages. Just make sure you are running a reputable Internet security prog. I recommend Kaspersky

That's interesting as I have win7 on my new PC and my accounts package won't run on it as its 16bit. They do a new version but it has been modified and some of the really useful bits for me have been removed and the developers won't put them back in.

So for now I am having to run the accounts on the old PC which was not really the point.

That's interesting as I have win7 on my new PC and my accounts package won't run on it as its 16bit. They do a new version but it has been modified and some of the really useful bits for me have been removed and the developers won't put them back in.

So for now I am having to run the accounts on the old PC which was not really the point.

You could always have a dual boot system and have XP and Win 7.

Have a look at this - it may help.

Have a look at this - it may help.

As I am totally gaur entered to mess it up would you be so kind as to try it for me. This is the link to the demo download. If you need to get further in to it I can give you by PM my access code but the demo works I think for a month.

If I try it and it don't work I will never know if it's me or the programme, least if you have the knowledge you can illimate the jumpy factor.

Cheers

ETA the link. Here. Told you I was a numpty

Edited by Biggles

Martin,

(snip)

And in our local PC World, a downgrade to XP, at a cost of £25, IIRC :unsure:

Iain

As I am totally gaur entered to mess it up would you be so kind as to try it for me. This is the link to the demo download. If you need to get further in to it I can give you by PM my access code but the demo works I think for a month.

If I try it and it don't work I will never know if it's me or the programme, least if you have the knowledge you can illimate the jumpy factor.

Cheers

ETA the link. Here. Told you I was a numpty

From what I've read it should run under Windows 7 x86 (32 bit) OS but won't on my x64 machine as Microsoft doesn't include 16 bit support on 64 bit OS's. Did try - it installed (& uninstalled) ok but wouldn't run , sorry :(

From what I've read it should run under Windows 7 x86 (32 bit) OS but won't on my x64 machine as Microsoft doesn't include 16 bit support on 64 bit OS's. Did try - it installed (& uninstalled) ok but wouldn't run , sorry :(

So that's it, no way of running it on 7 which is 64bit?

The new version is so crippled IMO.

Thanks anyway.

The new version is so crippled IMO.

Thanks anyway.

I run XP on the main PC I use, but bought a W7 system to use in parallel and get to know before relying on it - all has gone fairly well until a week ago, when suddenly the desktop icons went "blank" and don't work, even though the properties say the path / target etc is correct. I have done several virus scans and boot scans / malware scans etc, none of which has improved things

Strangely and luckily, all data still seems to be there and even working properly, but I have to access it via "My Computer" which is very tedious - I have started backing up to an external drive in case !

Significant research so far, and attempts to rectify, have failed and I am now being told that the only likely way to resolve is a clean instal, which will wipe the HDD and involve me in hours of work to restore, and what if it happens again the day after all seems to be working again ? I am slowly coming around to resigning myself to this although still trying and very grateful for any suggestions offered..

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem after seeing how many threads there are on this on the web / forums and my confidence is severely shaken in W7 at the moment angry.gif.

It's times like this that I wish I had learned Ubuntu or something..

Nick

I run XP on the main PC I use, but bought a W7 system to use in parallel and get to know before relying on it - all has gone fairly well until a week ago, when suddenly the desktop icons went "blank" and don't work, even though the properties say the path / target etc is correct. I have done several virus scans and boot scans / malware scans etc, none of which has improved things

Strangely and luckily, all data still seems to be there and even working properly, but I have to access it via "My Computer" which is very tedious - I have started backing up to an external drive in case !

Significant research so far, and attempts to rectify, have failed and I am now being told that the only likely way to resolve is a clean instal, which will wipe the HDD and involve me in hours of work to restore, and what if it happens again the day after all seems to be working again ? I am slowly coming around to resigning myself to this although still trying and very grateful for any suggestions offered..

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem after seeing how many threads there are on this on the web / forums and my confidence is severely shaken in W7 at the moment angry.gif.

It's times like this that I wish I had learned Ubuntu or something..

Nick

I,m glad I did :)

Edited by Guest

Have you considered Linux? I haven't had windoze on my home PC for years - I use the Ubuntu flavour of linux. As an operating system I find it works well, but I suppose it depends what software you want to run, and if there is a viable linux equivalent.

Software I use:

Open office instead of microsoft office.

GIMP instead of photoshop.

Chrome browser

Mozilla thunderbird email

Google earth

Picasa

Transmission bit torrent client

Rhythmbox music player / ipod synch.

A piece of software called WINE allows some windows software to run, but I'm not really experienced in its use.

I don't play games and don't think they are well supported.

Some things I've not got to work, for example cpu fan speed control so slow it up when the cpu temperature is low.

Depending on what you want to do there is certainly a learning curve, and depending on you, it can be an absorbing challenge or not!There is an active online support community.

It is possible to run it direct from a CD to try it, just set up your bios to boot from CD. You'd need to download it (700MB ish) and burn the download file as an ISO to a CD. If you don't have working software to do that I could pop one in the post.

Good luck

Graham

The Ubuntu versions of Linux work well mainly due I think to a lighter OS putting less load on your PC's resources. Its free, installs quickly with automatic updates & is available in 32 & 64 bit variants. A good range of applications are included in the OS with a massive range of optional ones available from a built-in search engine. Particularly the Open Office suit will work with all your Windows Office files. Wine, the Linux based Windows emulator I found flaky at best which is why I never stuck with it.

The Ubuntu versions all have amusing alliteral animal names, latest being Oneiric Ocelot. Ubuntu can also be installed from within Windows using Wubi. The same full OS is installed in a dedicated Windows folder. A boot option to choose between Windows & Ubuntu is added. A small reduction in performance is offset by the fact you can access all your Windows folders & files from within the OS, & can uninstall Wubi & therefore your entire Ubuntu installation just as any other Windows prog.

Well worth a try.

Edited by richardhula

The Ubuntu versions of Linux work well mainly due I think to a lighter OS putting less load on your PC's resources. Its free, installs quickly with automatic updates & is available in 32 & 64 bit variants. A good range of applications are included in the OS with a massive range of optional ones available from a built-in search engine. Particularly the Open Office suit will work with all your Windows Office files. Wine, the Linux based Windows emulator I found flaky at best which is why I never stuck with it.

The Ubuntu versions all have amusing double word animal names, latest being Precise Pangolin. Ubuntu can also be installed from within Windows using Wubi. The same full OS is installed in a dedicated Windows folder. A boot option to choose between Windows & Ubuntu is added. A small reduction in performance is offset by the fact you can access all your Windows folders & files from within the OS, & can uninstall Wubi & therefore your entire Ubuntu installation just as any other Windows prog.

Well worth a try.

I did try Ubuntu a while back, just out of curiosity, but not sure why I didn't pursue it - possibly time-constrained at the time... I may well give that another go... thanks for the reminder

Nick

Funnily enough,after me larking about yesterday saying BANG!!!!!!!!!Whats wrong now,the next morning my internet connection kept on failing,took dongle off and SIM out and hung up over the stove in case it was damp as i had it stuck to a window with Velcro. Put it back on and it worked for five mins.I did this several times and then it failed completely and persisted in telling me that i was an invalid with an error 680 problem.So i thought that as this old soap on a rope dongle had had a good innings of 3 years bought a new one at the (3) shop,this does seen to suck in a much better signal.I miss the little blinking light though as the new one has no blinking light which i think is a blinkin nuisance as it did confirm whether or not i was connected.And it was my only fairy-light at Christmas time.You gain something and you lose something. :mellow:

Edited by bizzard

7 has both a 32bit and 64bit version, it's on the same disc. I use 7 at work, don't know about running older 16bit stuff, but I think it has a virtual machine to run older stuff.

If your using a modern machine with anything with 4Gb or over of memory then if your not using 64bit your full memory isn't getting used.

I did try Ubuntu a while back, just out of curiosity, but not sure why I didn't pursue it - possibly time-constrained at the time... I may well give that another go... thanks for the reminder

Nick

Be aware that when I try the Wubi link it downloads an installer that I can't get to run on my PC failing with a message along the lines of Process exception error - the dialogue window it leaves behind cannot be got rid of without doing a forced shut-down with the power button. I should have remembered as it did the same last time I tried it a while ago... :rolleyes:

You may have more luck...

Be aware that when I try the Wubi link it downloads an installer that I can't get to run on my PC failing with a message along the lines of Process exception error - the dialogue window it leaves behind cannot be got rid of without doing a forced shut-down with the power button. I should have remembered as it did the same last time I tried it a while ago... :rolleyes:

You may have more luck...

Probably due to Wubi installation seeing non-existant drives left behind in your particular Windows installation, from a card reader perhaps, especially if No Disk appears in the error message. Try safely remove hardware or temporarily disabling card reader in device manager. Its certainly not an inherent Wubi problem.

There is no way of running it on the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It should run on the 32 bit version of Windows 7 as it includes 16 bit support.

Edited by richardhula

Probably due to Wubi installation seeing non-existant drives left behind in your particular Windows installation, from a card reader perhaps, especially if No Disk appears in the error message. Try safely remove hardware or temporarily disabling card reader in device manager. Its certainly not an inherent Wubi problem.

There is no way of running it on the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It should run on the 32 bit version of Windows 7 as it includes 16 bit support.

My Windows 7 version ( Home Premium ) came on two discs - one is for a 64 bit instal and the other is 32 bit instal

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Spot on - disabled my card reader and it's running.. cheers...

Edited by MJG

The Ubuntu versions all have amusing alliteral animal names, latest being Oneiric Ocelot. Ubuntu can also be installed from within Windows using Wubi. The same full OS is installed in a dedicated Windows folder. A boot option to choose between Windows & Ubuntu is added. A small reduction in performance is offset by the fact you can access all your Windows folders & files from within the OS, & can uninstall Wubi & therefore your entire Ubuntu installation just as any other Windows prog.

Well worth a try.

Agree. It depends what use the computer is required for, but if like me it is just for browsing, and typing a few documents,listening to music and viewing pics etc. then it is great. Much faster than windows, but I can boot into windows should I need to. I have Linux Mint on an old system and intend to spend more time playing with that soon, early impressions are good. TBH it seemed quicker than Ubuntu on the net.