Winding back to Windows XP

Featured Posts

Getting mightily hacked off with Vista now.

Each time it updates I now have problems re-starting my PC which eventually up to now I have managed to resolve either with system restore or start-up system repair.

The latest however was not fixable and I have ended up wiping my OS and re-installing Vista from the back up partition. So I now have a PC in the same state as it was when I first bought it. Currently waiting for the 103 :rolleyes: updates to Vista to download and install but if it recurs I'm going to ditch the lot and start afresh with a new OS.

I don't want to lash out on a Win 7 upgrade, besides I'd need a PC working with Vista to do that so I'm considering wiping the whole disk and winding back to XP - probably the pro. version. Legit versions are still available it seems.

I don't think I have any software that is not compatible with XP, I am not a big PC 'gamer' can anybody see any flaws in this plan....

Oh and yes - a lesson in the value of doing backups of all the important personal stuff, had just done the last one a few days ago so have lost virtually nothing.

Guest Quo Vadis

Each time it updates I now have problems re-starting my PC which eventually up to now I have managed to resolve either with system restore or start-up system repair.

The latest however was not fixable and I have ended up wiping my OS and re-installing Vista from the back up partition. So I now have a PC in the same state as it was when I first bought it. Currently waiting for the 103 :rolleyes: updates to Vista to download and install but if it recurs I'm going to ditch the lot and start afresh with a new OS.

I don't want to lash out on a Win 7 upgrade, besides I'd need a PC working with Vista to do that so I'm considering wiping the whole disk and winding back to XP - probably the pro. version. Legit versions are still available it seems.

I don't think I have any software that is not compatible with XP, I am not a big PC 'gamer' can anybody see any flaws in this plan....

Oh and yes - a lesson in the value of doing backups of all the important personal stuff, had just done the last one a few days ago so have lost virtually nothing.

I Have to say, the worst choice I ever made in computing was opting for Vista on my last new PC .... the best choice I've made is getting rid of Vista and moving up to Win 7 ..... just bite the bullet & do it.

I still use XP at work and on my lap-top and it seems increasingly quaint compared to Win 7

I Have to say, the worst choice I ever made in computing was opting for Vista on my last new PC .... the best choice I've made is getting rid of Vista and moving up to Win 7 ..... just bite the bullet & do it.

I still use XP at work and on my lap-top and it seems increasingly quaint compared to Win 7

I'm wary of upgrading to an OS that on paper says it will run on my PC only to find it grindingly slow - been there before.

My PC must be about 3-4 years old now, I'd rather wind back to an OS it will be comfortable with. I like Win 7 don't get me wrong (It's on this laptop) but the upgrade is not cheap.

Also XP is set to have updates available for a while yet by which time I'll be ready for a new PC anyway I reckon.

I don't mind quaint as you put it as long as it works....

Edited by MJG

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and a netbook with XP, I prefer XP but my son in law says it is just because I'm stuck in my ways. Windows 7 drives me mad, I can never find anything.

I've got WIN7 at work which is OK.

But MS office 2010 is just horrible. Comands that I use frequently and were simple to do in Office 2003 are now hidden away in the most awkward places, and the customisation I had before I can't do any more. I'm forever diving into the help system to find out how to do what used to be straightforward.

David

I don't like the new Vista/7 user interface. Particularly how there's no 'Up' button in explorer! (I know you can press Alt up-arrow, but it still doesn't work properly) but it just seems much less intuitive and messy :angry: XP feels cleaner and more straight forward to use.

If you decide to wipe and start again may I suggest that you create a separate partition to store your data, not my idea it was suggested to me.

I have 2 disks configured on my PC, the C: drive holds all the programs as normal and the D: drive holds all my data. You have to do a bit of reconfiguration of defaults to stop Windows going to the MyDocuments directories, but it does provide complete seperation of data and programs.

It doesn't mean that you don't have to back up of course

I have to say that i used to have a netbook with vista on it and it was barely useable. I bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 7 and it flew in comparison.

As you said, if you are happy with XP then that is a good stable OS to stick with until you are ready for new hardware.

Vista was a complete flop for Microsoft & forced many customer to stay with or revert back to XP.

However although having a similar interface, Windows 7 is entirely different in terms of reliability. Have been using it since 2008 in beta, nearly a year before it was released. Have never found a Window's program new or old that can't be made to run on it. There is a compatibility option when installing anyway.

I understand its a new learning experience for some with maybe up to 10 years of familiarity with XP, but you do get used to it.

A couple of recommendations:

1) To get the folder options menu File,Edit,View,Tools etc. go to Control Panel>Folder Options - click the View tab & tick "Always show menus" which is off by default.

2) Go to Control Panel>User Accounts - on your account click on "Change User account control settings" then drag the slider to the bottom "Never Notify". This will remove all those annoying do you really want to install this messages. Just make sure you are running a reputable Internet security prog. I recommend Kaspersky

Even if you have an install disk that has XP Service Pack 3, don't underestimate the sheer time involved in downloading and adding all the updates since.

If your install disk is less than SP3, (I don't have better than SP2), then absolutely don't underestimate the time it could take.

You might think that each service pack should contain all the changes since the last service pack, but I have not found things like XP to work that way. If you start with SP2, then you still seem to have to download and install heaps of updates on top of SP2, before after many iterations it will allow you to proceed to SP3. Only then may you finally start installing the mass of updates that have occurred since. Overall it takes ages, and lots of reboots.

Having started off thrown by Vista because of all the things that were different, I now concede it is generally a less painful experience than XP is these days. It hardly ever goes wrong on the PC I'm using it on (Dell lap top 2-3 years old), and the only issues I have had with the laptop proved to relate to third party products, (have now abandoned both AVG and Zone Alarm, in favour of other things doing the same job).

All that said, my son insists that Windows 7 is now a vastly superior alternative to Vista, and he is probably right. Mind you he swears by Zone Alarm too, even though only the other day it completely scuppered attempts to install some older hardware with Vista, but with no clues it had done so. I personally would avoid Zone Alarm on Vista, based purely on past experience, and sheer time wasted.

I know what you mean about time - It is currently 2 and a half hours since I started to wipe the Vista OS and re-install.

All updates to Vista are now downloaded and I'm currently on Installing update 76 of 103 and rapidly losing the will to live....

I never really had a problem with Vista and found it much more stable than XP. Now have WIN7 and it is very good. Runs nearly everything including my 15 year-old DOS 4GL.

I do have one program that won't install though because as soon as setup runs it doesn't recognise the OS so says it won't install. Does anyone have a way round this?

David Mack: I felt the same about Office 2010, but now after a couple of years using it I find it ok!

I never really had a problem with Vista and found it much more stable than XP. Now have WIN7 and it is very good. Runs nearly everything including my 15 year-old DOS 4GL.

I do have one program that won't install though because as soon as setup runs it doesn't recognise the OS so says it won't install. Does anyone have a way round this?

David Mack: I felt the same about Office 2010, but now after a couple of years using it I find it ok!

Some kind of emulator, found this. Have to say i have not used it.

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/xp-emulator-for-vista-download.html

I did that with my laptop Vista->XP and it was tons better, though i struggled for drivers. I eventually ditched Windoze and put Ubuntu on and it is 1000X better. (I do have windows installed on a partition to run a CAD prog. that Iuse.)

The updates are a pain I agree. With XP it was possible with relative ease to create your own installation disc from the original by slipstreaming in the service packs & even subsequent updates. I had a XP + SP3 disc. Just Google how to do it.

With Vista it was a little more difficult but managed to create a Vista + SP1 installation disc. Haven't tried it but imagine its possible with Win 7 as well.

BTW installed a 128GB SSD (solid state disc) into my laptop earlier this year. Never done such an easy mod. Just took out hard drive, swapped over support caddy & popped it back in. Did a fresh Windows 7 install which took 16 minutes from scratch to working desktop. Booted in 15 seconds. Even with many progs installed now that run on startup, it boots in under 30 seconds.

Ok having fully re-installed all (103) the up dates afresh I am now back up an running - the PC started first time this time with no halts or hic-ups. Crunch time will be the next update - if it falls back to it's old ways Vista will be history and I think I'l drop back to XP with all that may entail.

Thanks for the comments everybody...

I don't like the new Vista/7 user interface. Particularly how there's no 'Up' button in explorer! (I know you can press Alt up-arrow, but it still doesn't work properly) but it just seems much less intuitive and messy :angry: XP feels cleaner and more straight forward to use.

Yep that annoys we too, but for most thing you can set Win7 up to work and look like XP, well NT really, stuck in 1995, not me!

I user Win7 Enterprise on my main work laptop, and Win 7 Home on a netbook, and to be honest I don't really have a problem with it. My son and daughter both have Vista on theirs and that is horrible. I think Win7 addresses much of Vista criticisms. But at the end of the day nothing wrong with XP at all.

I agree. I ran Xp for along time. Did a Trial change to vista Abd it was crap. Now have a laptop with Win7 and it is a much more stable self curing platform. Still bloody slow considering the power of the PC. I would prefer NT4 to be honest. Wib6 rubs 70% of my old games and software but as U said is far more stable.

Recommend changing to Win7 if you can

I have 2 virtualy identical laptops each about 18 months old. One has vista the other has win 7. Vista is a pile of dog poo hence I never use that laptop but its handy to have it on charge when doing my daily charge as both batteries can then be used with the win 7 laptop. I too am considering wiping the vista and going for xp, can I buy it anywhere ( ebay ? ) and is it simple to bin the vista and put the xp on ?

Ebay is indeed the place.

If I go that route I will back up my personal data, format the hard drive and just install XP from scratch.

Then I will need to install the updates to XP.

Based on re-installing Vista this aft. I reckon it could take most of a day to complete.

Ebay is indeed the place.

If I go that route I will back up my personal data, format the hard drive and just install XP from scratch.

Then I will need to install the updates to XP.

Based on re-installing Vista this aft. I reckon it could take most of a day to complete.

I reckon you are correct :) I did exactly as you describe; format and XP (SP3) from scratch. I don't think the updates were too painful. It was a lot better than Vista. Never used 7 a great deal but the techies at work like it.

I wouldn't fiddle about too much,it upsets things.

I have Vista,no problems at all,fast, does everything i want,but what i have discovered is to always accept and instal any system update,browser,Adobe,anti-virus,ect ect as it usually means that apart from extra features or add-ons the old version is becoming corrupt.I've always done this on XP and for the last 3 years with Vista and no trubs or crashes whatsoever.

But my own biggest rule is never to arse around with technical settings and fixes that you don't fully understand. :unsure:

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!What on earths gone wrong now. :angry:

Edited by bizzard

I wouldn't fiddle about too much,it upsets things.

I have Vista,no problems at all,fast, does everything i want,but what i have discovered is to always accept and instal any system update,browser,Adobe,anti-virus,ect ect as it usually means that apart from extra features or add-ons the old version is becoming corrupt.I've always done this on XP and for the last 3 years with Vista and no trubs or crashes whatsoever.

But my own biggest rule is never to arse around with technical settings and fixes that you don't fully understand. :unsure:

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!What on earths gone wrong now. :angry:

I do believe in the old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

Problem is - it's broke...

I do believe in the old adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

Problem is - it's broke...

That's it. But as you know, highly technical tweaks and adjustments can be made via say Taskbar,and i personally think that some people who have or have had Vista got impatient and instead of waiting for all the Vista systems updates from widows and from the PC's manufacturer during its infancy,started fiddling deep into adjustments they knew nothing about and b----------d it up,and then blamed Vista.These gradual everending updates did improve Vista to which i think eventually made Vista a top notch thingy. :unsure: