Winding back to Windows XP

Featured Posts

I have Linux Mint on an old system and intend to spend more time playing with that soon, early impressions are good. TBH it seemed quicker than Ubuntu on the net.

Linux Mint is brilliant! I'm running it on an old 1.6GHz laptop and it flies. One the thing I like about Linux Mint is that a complete install only takes about 20 minutes and there's no faffing around trying to find drivers or anything. They are all built in, as is the open source equivalent of Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, which is more than powerful enough for everything I want to do. You can test Linux Mint by running it from a CD or DVD without touching your existing Windows install although, of course, it will only run very slowly off a DVD drive.

Another plus is that you download applications from central repositories and there is a common upgrade process for all applications. I started with Linux Mint 9 and I'm now on version 12. Each time you upgrade you wipe the hard drive and start again but Linux Mint includes software for backing up your data and applications. When you've completed an upgrade you just restore your application list and it retrieves all the new versions of the applications compatible with the new release. The OS and all the applications are also all free! No annual licences. The Linux architecture also means you don't need an antivirus program, one of the major hogs of CPU power in my experience.

I tried Windows 7 but the main killer for me was that Intel had not released a driver for the graphic chip in my laptops. I have 3, all off eBay, and all the same model which has benefits of common power supplies and batteries. My wife uses one (XP) and I now have one running XP and one running Linux Mint. I didn't want the cost of both buying new laptops and buying Win7 for 3 machines hence exploring the Linux route.

There is unfortunately some application data which I haven't found a way of porting over to Linux Mint. Excel Macros for example don't run on the LibreOffice spreadsheet program even though the workbooks themselves convert OK and you can continue to save them in .XLS format. I also haven't found an equivalent to Google Sketchup which I like for 3D drawing. I'm starting to use the Linux Mint machine more and more but suspect I'll have to keep a Windows machine around for a while yet. In general I find Linux Mint's operation pretty intuitive, very fast (much faster than XP), but that's not to say there isn't a learning curve. I'm still learning!

Have tried now twice this weekend to install Ubuntu and given up... :(

It looks as though it is installing and the installation routine creates the necessary dual boot menu but attempting to start Ubuntu triggers a horrendously complex error message that makes no sense to me what so ever.

The first time I tried it created a partition for itself but the second time it didn't.

I've never successfully managed to install any version of Linux on any system without some degree of hassle and I won't be trying again I'm afraid.

The Linux architecture also means you don't need an antivirus program, one of the major hogs of CPU power in my experience.

If you think the Linux architecture means that you don't need any antivirus program then your daft. There's plenty of viruses, rootkits and trojans around for it.

Install chkrootkit and clamav.

Have tried now twice this weekend to install Ubuntu and given up... :(

It looks as though it is installing and the installation routine creates the necessary dual boot menu but attempting to start Ubuntu triggers a horrendously complex error message that makes no sense to me what so ever.

The first time I tried it created a partition for itself but the second time it didn't.

I've never successfully managed to install any version of Linux on any system without some degree of hassle and I won't be trying again I'm afraid.

That's familiar territory for me I'm afraid

Richard

If you think the Linux architecture means that you don't need any antivirus program then your daft. There's plenty of viruses, rootkits and trojans around for it.

:blush: I said I was still learning!

Edited to add, from Linux.com: Misleading claims and false advertising by virus protection rackets to the contrary, you simply don't need antivirus products to keep your Linux box free of malware.

I'm confused!! :wacko:

And another quote: "Most Linux antivirus software focuses on removing Windows viruses, and function as one-time-scan tools rather than the Windows-style, sit-in-your-tray-and-protect-you products that’s common in Windowsland. Such software is not essential for Linux users, but is pretty handy." I.e. to clean Windows viruses off a device before re-inserting it back into a Windows environment.

Edited by MikeV

:blush: I said I was still learning!

Edited to add, from Linux.com: Misleading claims and false advertising by virus protection rackets to the contrary, you simply don't need antivirus products to keep your Linux box free of malware.

I'm confused!! :wacko:

And another quote: "Most Linux antivirus software focuses on removing Windows viruses, and function as one-time-scan tools rather than the Windows-style, sit-in-your-tray-and-protect-you products that’s common in Windowsland. Such software is not essential for Linux users, but is pretty handy." I.e. to clean Windows viruses off a device before re-inserting it back into a Windows environment.

What does Linux give that the later versions of Windows don't - nothing! They basically work the same, have the same security features and flaws. Windows may have more viruses in count, but these are mainly aimed at the older versions.

To stay virus and malware free, it's the same on all OSes.

Most malware are now trojans, so the user is the weak point - (which is Windows biggest weak point to be honest).

Keep the OS and all programs up to date.

Beware of what you click on.

Don't run programs or services you don't need.

Run a anti-virus program regularly..

Edited by Robbo

What does Linux give that the later versions of Windows don't - nothing!

Its free. I like free! Although I do donate to open source projects I particularly like!! B)

Plus, as I mentioned, there is no support for the graphics chip in my laptops within Windows 7. It doesn't support extended screens for example. I have done a full install of Win7 on a spare drive and I just get a basic VGA display. Linux Mint does support the chip, and most equivalent applications run faster than on XP. Boot time is faster too - sub 30 seconds. I'm not saying Window 7 doesn't do the same stuff but 1) I'd have to buy new laptops, 2) I'd have to buy Windows 7.

I may still end up going that way in future years but for now Linux Mint is doing what I need it do to do with the only an investment being in having to learn some new stuff. It still gets my vote!

Its free. I like free! Although I do donate to open source projects I particularly like!! B)

Don't worry I'm not against Linux. I'm actually a *nix person of around 15 years and have used a Linux servers and desktops for a good majority of that time. I now use OS/X though, I found that I was just playing with the Linux OS, etc. but I've moved on from that I now I just like a machine that "works" and works well with my other hardware (and I still have the *nix command line I prefer).

Linux Mint is brilliant! I'm running it on an old 1.6GHz laptop and it flies. One the thing I like about Linux Mint is that a complete install only takes about 20 minutes and there's no faffing around trying to find drivers or anything. They are all built in, as is the open source equivalent of Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, which is more than powerful enough for everything I want to do. You can test Linux Mint by running it from a CD or DVD without touching your existing Windows install although, of course, it will only run very slowly off a DVD drive.

Another plus is that you download applications from central repositories and there is a common upgrade process for all applications. I started with Linux Mint 9 and I'm now on version 12. Each time you upgrade you wipe the hard drive and start again but Linux Mint includes software for backing up your data and applications. When you've completed an upgrade you just restore your application list and it retrieves all the new versions of the applications compatible with the new release. The OS and all the applications are also all free! No annual licences. The Linux architecture also means you don't need an antivirus program, one of the major hogs of CPU power in my experience.

I tried Windows 7 but the main killer for me was that Intel had not released a driver for the graphic chip in my laptops. I have 3, all off eBay, and all the same model which has benefits of common power supplies and batteries. My wife uses one (XP) and I now have one running XP and one running Linux Mint. I didn't want the cost of both buying new laptops and buying Win7 for 3 machines hence exploring the Linux route.

There is unfortunately some application data which I haven't found a way of porting over to Linux Mint. Excel Macros for example don't run on the LibreOffice spreadsheet program even though the workbooks themselves convert OK and you can continue to save them in .XLS format. I also haven't found an equivalent to Google Sketchup which I like for 3D drawing. I'm starting to use the Linux Mint machine more and more but suspect I'll have to keep a Windows machine around for a while yet. In general I find Linux Mint's operation pretty intuitive, very fast (much faster than XP), but that's not to say there isn't a learning curve. I'm still learning!

Thanks, my first impressions are good,but will spend more time experimenting in the new year.

What does Linux give that the later versions of Windows don't - nothing! They basically work the same, have the same security features and flaws. Windows may have more viruses in count, but these are mainly aimed at the older versions.

To stay virus and malware free, it's the same on all OSes.

Most malware are now trojans, so the user is the weak point - (which is Windows biggest weak point to be honest).

Keep the OS and all programs up to date.

Beware of what you click on.

Don't run programs or services you don't need.

Run a anti-virus program regularly..

Linux gives a faster machine than Windoze software in my experience, and I have used it on many test machines at work both ancient and modern. It gives me a machine that works when I switch it on. I would not tolerate an electric drilling machine or a motor car that did "illegal operations" or "blue screens" whenever it felt like it; why should I accept a laptop computer that does that?

I accept that overall it is probably best to have Windoze (I still have it so I can dual boot on odd occasions when I need it) but it is obese. I am 99% Linux now.

Don't worry I'm not against Linux. I'm actually a *nix person of around 15 years and have used a Linux servers and desktops for a good majority of that time. I now use OS/X though, I found that I was just playing with the Linux OS, etc. but I've moved on from that I now I just like a machine that "works" and works well with my other hardware (and I still have the *nix command line I prefer).

OS/X does look interesting, what major advantages do you find?

Linux gives a faster machine than Windoze software in my experience, and I have used it on many test machines at work both ancient and modern. It gives me a machine that works when I switch it on. I would not tolerate an electric drilling machine or a motor car that did "illegal operations" or "blue screens" whenever it felt like it; why should I accept a laptop computer that does that?

I've had Linux, Windows and OS/X crash on me - none of them are immune to it. Linux was mainly due to hardware faults and issues. Windows is more likely to be dodgy hardware drivers from third parties, and OS/X tends to be when the first addition of a major release is out. Windows and OS/X use the same type of kernel which is less prone to hardware issues but is less efficient than the Linux type.

I've had Linux, Windows and OS/X crash on me - none of them are immune to it. Linux was mainly due to hardware faults and issues. Windows is more likely to be dodgy hardware drivers from third parties, and OS/X tends to be when the first addition of a major release is out. Windows and OS/X use the same type of kernel which is less prone to hardware issues but is less efficient than the Linux type.

Thanks that is interesting. I have seen the Macs crash at work but not often, and they seem quite impressive esp. for the MIDI systems that the kids use them for. We rarely need to touch them.

Ubuntu has crashed on me once or twice, but nowhere near as much as Vista/XP on the same machine (XP being far better than Vista on this particular machine.)

I have little experience of Windows 7 although the (younger and far more experienced than I) techies at work seem to like it.

Linux Mint is my new year conquest.

I suppose they all have their pros and cons: I worked on the old Acorn/RISC system about 15 years ago and that was solid, even kid-proof, and that is saying something. It seemed to fall by the wayside owing to insufficient support and development.

OS/X does look interesting, what major advantages do you find?

To be honest, it just seems to get out of the way, leaving me to just use the apps. With Linux I was constantly playing with the new stuff, but there always seemed something better around the corner and half the apps didn't use the technology that was on offer from the OS. OS/X seems to be the "future Linux", all the best features with the applications seem to be integrated with each other (Applications on Linux seem very individual).

To be honest, it just seems to get out of the way, leaving me to just use the apps. With Linux I was constantly playing with the new stuff, but there always seemed something better around the corner and half the apps didn't use the technology that was on offer from the OS. OS/X seems to be the "future Linux", all the best features with the applications seem to be integrated with each other (Applications on Linux seem very individual).

Cheers :cheers: