Non slip matting

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

That paint has an advantage over the matting: it does not harbour dirt, leaves and general grunge in its holes or underneath it. Paint is easier to keep clean, just a frequent sloosh with water and an occasional more determined assault with something more abrasive. As you may have guessed, 'Trojan' has slip-resistant paint on her decks and roof!

Where does one buy non slip matting from? Not the kind you put on your roof to hold a flower pot on, the kind to put on your stern and/or gunwales to stop you going arse over tit when it's a bit icey.

Links gratefully received! Cheaper the better. ;)

Hi

Have a look here ----My link

This stuff seems dear but I have bought something similar in sheet form and cut it to size - glued down with with Evostick and lasts for years.

Or this stuff ---- Non Slip Tape

Alex

The stick on stuff from the Chandlers isn't cheap.

Cheap is buying a pot of paint. Paint the areas you want to be non stick, cover with sharp sand liberally. Leave 24 hours to dry. Sweep excess sand away and then paint again in correct colour.

Works well but December isn't the right month to be doing it really.

OK for indoors, but what about outdoors?

Brian

I suggested this in another thread. I have not used the Screwfix stuff but bought a role of similar stuff from Betterware and stuck a length to the top of the Wheelie bin to weather test it and I can't get it off

I suggested this in another thread. I have not used the Screwfix stuff but bought a role of similar stuff from Betterware and stuck a length to the top of the Wheelie bin to weather test it and I can't get it off

I have used some square sections I got from this company, while great in the dry I'm not sure about wet as when its really bad I think it may lift a little. This is strange as when it dries out again it appears very solid. This has only happened when totally soaked and pooling water so not sure what is happening, it may be the actual material itself separating as firmly fixed down when checked. Other alternative is I am pissed when it rains !

you could of course spray matty with carpet glue and put him out there, tho you might trip over him even if he was slip proof :lol:

You're a strange one, you...

For one, carpet glue wouldn't last very long outside, I shouldn't think.

I don't want to piss about with sand and paint, I just want some plastic matting for now! I think the Wilkinsons idea might be the winner!

Edited by Starcoaster

I'm trying out a roll of nonslip tape bought from an old fashioned hardware shop. It's a bit like Gaffer tape but has a non slip "sand like" surface like you get on many gunwales/roofs. So far (after 2 weeks) it has worked well but I usually find that most tape/sticky pad adhesive things drop off after a while no matter how well you clean the surfaces.

My deck is wooden so thats not an issue! Thats what they have on the pontoons and it seems to work well.

You could easily make a cheap temporary little awning over the rear deck of your boat Star,by Lashing a pole from cabin top to tiller top like a tent ridge pole, Get a cheap tarp with eyelets,a white translucent one for extra light ''Google Bradshaws of Leeds'' all around to tie it down firmly. I know it makes it a bit awkward to get in and out but worth it as it will help keep your engine bay dry and usually one of the first places to rust and need replating are the swim tops on that type and age of boat which rust through by ingress of rain water as i doubt if your boat has deck board drain channels ''gutters''.Also gives you extra dryish storage for coal bags ect.And also when the wooden deck is all nice and dry you can paint the anti-slip on it even in the winter in the dry. :rolleyes:

Also your boat probably has the wooden steps down to the back door which tend to rot with rain water which would also be kept dry.

Edited by bizzard