Boaters to join CaRT

Rebotco

Featured Posts

It would undoubtedly make a lot of sense to have a forum member involved. This forum (#1!)certainly reaches a wide section of boaters and probably does more to canvass and crystallise boaters views than BW by a long chalk.

Magpie Patrick would be a very good choice and I would certainly vote for him. Anyone need an experienced election agent?

More to the point, what are the perks.

free BW licence

assisted passage through any lock flight

priority passage at all locks putting you at the front of the queue for any lock

unlimited expense account

This is just the basic package - there might be others I am not aware of.

Going back to the original missive it is nice of Tony Hales to acknowledge that boaters have a wealth of knowledge that the new trust wants to tap. With his BW hat on he and the rest of them were amazing uninterested in boater knowledge as they - with very little such knowledge - all knew much better than us - or so they told MPs when we queried their decisions. And actually they still do - just write to your MP about a contensious issue and see if Robin phones up for your informed opinion...

• 4 weeks later...

Those of you who believe that the Inland Waterways Association is doing a good job in representing boaters may wish to vote for one (or more) of the candidates being sponsored by the IWA, details of these persons at:

http://www.waterways.org.uk/campaigns/news/bulletins/iwa_bulletin_mid_december_2011#boaters

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Those of you who believe that the Inland Waterways Association is doing a good job in representing boaters may wish to vote for one (or more) of the candidates being sponsored by the IWA, details of these persons at:

http://www.waterways...er_2011#boaters

Tim

I highlighted this as one of my concerns when this election process was first mentioned. Who will these people represent ordinary boaters such as myself or the interests of IWA

I looked at your link, but failed to find the election statements from any of them.

Tony

That is only required once you are actually standing for election, not required for nomination.

I would rather hope that the concerns are the same!

Tim

I've not normally had you as the naive sort. One would also hope that BW/CART's concerns were the same as boater's so perhaps we don't need the council at at all.

As for the IWA representing all boaters I understood that the recent emails inadverently published revealed precisely the opposite.

I would rather hope that the concerns are the same!

Tim

Tim I am sure you are right, but you can not get away from the fact that people from IWA, NABO etc do have their own agendas.

From IWA website

IWA members' interests include

boating

towing path walking

, industrial archaeology, nature conservation and many other activities associated with the inland waterways.

Now IMO the boaters Council members should be focused 100% on issues effecting all boaters and leave towpath walking (sorry towing path), and nature conservation to the members those groups have on the council.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Tim I am sure you are right, but you can not get away from the fact that people from IWA, NABO etc do have their own agendas.

From IWA website

Now IMO the boaters Council members should be focused 100% on issues effecting all boaters and leave towpath walking (sorry towing path), and nature conservation to the members those groups have on the council.

BUT, any representative will be involved in all aspects of the waterways, their twice yearly meetings will dictate this, you can't go along and just expect to have your say on boating, it won't happen

That is only required once you are actually standing for election, not required for nomination.

But how would someone (anyone) know whether to nominate them if they don't know what the prospective candidate stands for?

Tony

But how would someone (anyone) know whether to nominate them if they don't know what the prospective candidate stands for?

Tony

They stand for the IWA.

Edited to add. Clive Henderson doesn't stand a chance, no silly hat.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Those of you who believe that the Inland Waterways Association is doing a good job in representing boaters may wish to vote for one (or more) of the candidates being sponsored by the IWA

I highlighted this as one of my concerns when this election process was first mentioned. Who will these people represent ordinary boaters such as myself or the interests of IWA

I am not surprised to see the IWA put up 4 preferred candidates, presumably with the hope that their might can result in all four filling the four electable boater slots.

I have no doubt that because they have the IWA behind them they will attract a lot of votes.

I do personally feel that such a result would not be a good thing, and that there is a need for people who will not tend to follow the "party line" of an organisation, particularly when many people who used to support such an organisation have now lost confidence in it.

One further point is that it could be argued that the IWA already has a degree of automatic representation on the council, because the Waterways Recovery Group are allocated a non elected post, and they are a subsidiary of the IWA. Electing 4 IWA "boater" members would apparently mean at least 5 people on council possibly directly representing IWA interests, wouldn't it?