Boaters to join CaRT

Rebotco

Featured Posts

I have just received the following e-mail.

What do members think?

Boaters can get involved in shaping the future of Britain’s waterways say British Waterways who are calling for boaters to stand for election for the Canal & River Trust Council.

Tony Hales, chair of the Canal & River Trust, said: “The boating community has a wealth of hands-on experience of the waterways, and having boaters on board is essential to the success of the Canal & River Trust. I am writing to all licence holders and I encourage them to put themselves forward and add their voices to those shaping the Canal & River Trust’s future.”

The new charitable trust takes over from British Waterways in April 2012 and the nominations for boaters’ positions on the Council open on 12 December 2011.

Seven positions on the 35-strong council are to be filled by boaters or boating businesses. Four positions are to be elected by boat licence holders and two positions elected by boating businesses.

The British Canoe Union, which holds a collective licence for around 60,000 individual and club members, will be asked to nominate a person to fill a further position representing all those who use the waterways for waterborne sport and recreation without holding individual licences.

A Canal & River Trust employee will also be elected by all employees at this time to serve on the Council.

The Council will help to shape policy, raising and debating issues, and providing guidance, perspective and a sounding board for the trustees. It will also have the power to appoint or dismiss trustees.

Members of the Canal & River Trust Council will be expected to bring the experience and perspective of the constituency they represent and to provide a voice for their interests. In exercising this role they will have tact in the interests of the charitable purposes of the Trust.

Members will serve for a term of four years.

Tony Hales, chair of the Canal & River Trust, said: “The boating community has a wealth of hands-on experience of the waterways, and having boaters on board is essential to the success of the Canal & River Trust. I am writing to all licence holders and I encourage them to put themselves forward and add their voices to those shaping the Canal & River Trust’s future.”

Boaters who want to stand for election in any of these groups will need to complete a simple nomination form which will be available for downloading from www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/councilnomination from 12 December 2011 until 18 January 2012.

To be eligible to stand for election and vote in the election, boaters must hold a 12-month boat licence on 18 January 2012. Nominations must be supported by ten sponsors who each also hold a valid 12-month boat licence on this date.

Voting will take place between 8 February and 9 March 2012 via a designated website or by SMS text. Voting by post will also be possible, but only for this first set of Council elections. The election is being managed by Electoral Reform Services.

I am duly honoured, Mr. Higgs.

I am waiting for the call. Have a couple of brushes, a tin of white paint and tin of black paint.

By the due date I will be proficient at painting white stripes on a black background. Be patient, I,m sure in time I can master the more challenging side of painting black stripes on a white background. Tough call. I must, I must, improve my brush...................ing.

Anyway, off to iron my overalls and spit polish my boots. I am a bit accident prone but would like to work on my fear a chainsaws....I still have one good arm, and my tick is really much improved since the operation.

Lets me out. The boat is licensed in hubby's name. I can't even vote.

Sue

I'm curious though....

I won't stand a cat in hells chance of getting elected or even nominated but worth a go surely...???

I'm curious though....

I won't stand a cat in hells chance of getting elected or even nominated but worth a go surely...???

Go for it matey - I will vote for you!!

P.S. It is for the CaRT Council, which will only advise, not a Trustee.

Brian

I'm curious though....

Worth a go. IMO; for what it's worth. :)

I know my place, it's on the end of a brush.

Edited by Higgs

A huge sigh of relief for everyone. Dorella is licensed in SWMBO's name I am ineligible to stand.

A personal offer to Tony Hales

I have a nice smart dinghy. For the fee of one thousand of your finest english pounds I am willing to license it in the name of your bestest mate, so he/she can get on council.

So quick question..... Of a hetrosexual partnership, which partner will tend to have the boat in their name? Any danger of sex descrimination issues here?

So quick question..... Of a hetrosexual partnership, which partner will tend to have the boat in their name? Any danger of sex descrimination issues here?

I'm pretty certain that our boat's in both our names... maybe I've got that wrong. So could Mr & Mrs Wot Ever stand for election? :lol:

I'm curious though....

In sure SWMBO wont mind assisting with your nomination if you so desire.

Of for the sum of 1000 of our finest english pounds.......

I'm pretty certain that our boat's in both our names... maybe I've got that wrong. So could Mr & Mrs Wot Ever stand for election? :lol:

Yes 1/2 a council membership each. Ask If there will be a silly hat.

So how does one become a trustee, that's where the power lies, to vote on CEO bonuses etc etc. This role is just a "consultation exercise" - "we consulted the interested parties, heard what they said".....didn't like it and ignored them!

So how does one become a trustee, that's where the power lies, to vote on CEO bonuses etc etc. This role is just a "consultation exercise" - "we consulted the interested parties, heard what they said".....didn't like it and ignored them!

Transitional Trustees were appointed in May 2011 - I'm not sure if they automatically carry on or not from when the Trust comes into being.

Transitional Trustees were appointed in May 2011 - I'm not sure if they automatically carry on or not from when the Trust comes into being.

They carry on, two days per month. Nothing set up yet regarding election, terms of office, remuneration (currently they are not remunerated).

Interestingly, there is a reference to them on BW's website as 'founding trustees' rather than 'transition trustees'.