Maybe an odd question!

Darren72

Featured Posts

How did the pass on the right rule come along? We drive on the left, I know boats came along before cars!!

We though are not the only folk who boat...

I understand it is based on international agreed convention...

How did the pass on the right rule come along? We drive on the left, I know boats came along before cars!!

Does it relate to the days when sailing boats were steered from the starboard side? Also a yacht on the port tack ie going right should give way because the helmsman has a better view than a yacht on the starboard tack so maybe that's where it came from. I'm guessing.

We though are not the only folk who boat...

I understand it is based on international agreed convention...

how many boats from abroad do you come across on the cut!

Did we not invent the canal network, has it always been pass on the right. Surely there wasnt such things as International law/convention 100yrs ago

Do you get a lot of boats coming straight at you ? :lol:

I did, and they damaged my boat in the process, dont think it wouldve made a difference what side they were on they was all pissed!!

Regards.....

Did we not invent the canal network, has it always been pass on the right. Surely there wasnt such things as International law/convention 100yrs ago

I believe there were other local conventions in some places at one time, can't remember where I got that from.

When relatively new to canal boating, in the mid-sixties, we met the trip boat 'Turn-Key' somewhere around Dunham on the Bridgewater canal.He was travelling at some considerable speed, and seemed determined to pass us on the wrong side, his comment as he did pass was to the effect that 'that's what you do along here' (ie local convention). We made enquiries which confirmed that he was just having his idea of a laugh, there's never been that convention anywhere on the Bridgewater, but still something tells me that there has been elsewhere. Can anyone confirm that I haven't imagined that?

Tim

Parliament passed the Steam Navigation act in 1846 which formalised passing port to port.In the 20th century there were the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rules until the 1970s when COLREGs (Collision Regulation) became the international standard. I'm guessing that as port to port regs already existed for powered craft they were adopted on canals when first powered boats (steam then diesel?) began taking over from horses.

Ah but sea going boats would be going up and down large rivers all over the world. It seems much more likely that an international convention would be needed for boats a long long time ago. A convention would not have to be a written law.

I have always thought that on a canal you get out of the way of the more heavily laden or deeper drafted boat, going on whatever side the steerer of the deeper boat gesticulates that you go. So, if you are on the deeper boat, you have to get your gesticulates out. Of course, the problem today is that it can be difficult to identify the deeper boat. In earlier times, when boats of similar draft approached each other, it would be settled amicably by a fight.

Was always lead to believe that boats passed left to left due to the steering board rudder used by the Vikings, being on the right or 'Starboard side'and they passed along the portside, the side that went against the dock so as not to damage the steering.

As for driving , in this country we never really got to grips with firearms and therefore passed right to right in order that you could draw a sword which would be hanging from the left side of the body straight from the scabbard, with the right hand.

The continent and USA being into firearms passed left to left as the blunderbus/winchester would be held crooked in the left arm with the right hand on the trigger just in case.

John Hinch

I remember reading a book by Thor Heyerdahl where he built a replica of an Egyptian boat with a single sail and twin rudders made entirely from papyrus reeds.That was based on remnants of boats found dating back to 2900BC. I suspect the origins of maritime law are as old as the first boats. Or more likely shortly after the second boat was built and the first boat ran into it.

Its possible that as horses on roads passed each other on the left they did the same on the towpath, to avoid tangling the ropes the boats would have to have passed each other port to port

We come across quite a few Dutch vessels on our travels. We are well placed for them to visit. Obviously they are invariabley sea going vessels but they do still visit our inland waterways. Much the same as UK sea going vessels visit Dutch inland waterways.

Almost certainly set down in the distant annals of history based on sailing practicalities, the rules were agreed internationally in the 19th century.

One of the main rules in sailing is that a vessel on starboard tack has right of way over one on port tack. The port tack vessel is therefore the give way vessel & in a head on situation would turn off the wind to pass port to port (i.e. to the right) it being easier to do that than turning into wind.

If to starboard red appear 'tis your duty to keep clear

Edited by richardhula

I remember reading a book by Thor Heyerdahl where he built a replica of an Egyptian boat with a single sail and twin rudders made entirely from papyrus reeds.That was based on remnants of boats found dating back to 2900BC. I suspect the origins of maritime law are as old as the first boats. Or more likely shortly after the second boat was built and the first boat ran into it.

Thor Heyerdahl

‘The Kon-Tiki Expedition’ (by raft across the south Seas)

he also wrote ‘Aku-Aku’ (The secret of Easter Island) both fascinating books.

Joshua

I have not gone through every post in detail.....

But was there not at least one English cut where, until relatively recent years, the norm was to pass on the left.

I seem to recall hearing / reading that one had been "harmonised" with the rest eventually but had for most of its life operated the other way......

Or was I just the subject of some enormous wind up ?

I believe there were other local conventions in some places at one time, can't remember where I got that from.

When relatively new to canal boating, in the mid-sixties, we met the trip boat 'Turn-Key' somewhere around Dunham on the Bridgewater canal.He was travelling at some considerable speed, and seemed determined to pass us on the wrong side, his comment as he did pass was to the effect that 'that's what you do along here' (ie local convention). We made enquiries which confirmed that he was just having his idea of a laugh, there's never been that convention anywhere on the Bridgewater, but still something tells me that there has been elsewhere. Can anyone confirm that I haven't imagined that?

Tim

The Worcester and Birmingham used to drive on the left, according to Rolt.

N

Was always lead to believe that boats passed left to left due to the steering board rudder used by the Vikings, being on the right or 'Starboard side'and they passed along the portside, the side that went against the dock so as not to damage the steering.

As for driving , in this country we never really got to grips with firearms and therefore passed right to right in order that you could draw a sword which would be hanging from the left side of the body straight from the scabbard, with the right hand.

The continent and USA being into firearms passed left to left as the blunderbus/winchester would be held crooked in the left arm with the right hand on the trigger just in case.

John Hinch

You will find that the Americans drive/ride on the right was due to a big buggy manufacturer who for reasons unknown placed the "Driving seat" on the left. Until that time they had no rules as to which side you were on. The gun theory seems wrong to me as they wouldn't be riding around holding "Winchesters" their guns would be in their holsters with 5 bullets in the 6 shooter with the hammer placed against the empty chamber in case of accident.

:)